PDA

View Full Version : Soapy grasp...

Dark-Jon
03-03-2004, 04:14 PM
erm, I mean 'slippy clutch' :rolleyes:

Went for a ride on Tuesday and whilst overtaking some slow car
on an A road, the engine rev'd up and the bike slowed a bit, only momentarily though, and at the time I put it down to the rear wheel skipping as I went over the cats eye. On the way home, some loon in an Alfa decides to race me going up the slip road onto the Motorway. Me being me takes the bait and opens her up, weeeee goes the revs and not alot happens to the speed, hmm, slipping clutch. Rides round town fine and only happens when running at full chat.

Question is, is this normaly after only 7000 miles?!?! I'm not aware that I ride the clutch alot and the one in my car seems to last years.

Anyone else had this happen so soon from new? Ive spoken to Lee at the Monstershop and he's said he'll look at it (when I get round to calling him :D ) so thats fine, just dont want to go through clutches quicker than tyres!

Dark-Jon

Kev Bunney
03-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Take my advice don`t try it on with an Alfa ;)

robht
04-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey Dark-Jon,

A long shot, but have you changed the oil recently?

If so did you use an oil specifically for motorbikes, or a car type oil?

The car type oils have slippery stuff added to reduce friction which is fine in a car as it doesn't have a wet clutch like the M620 but is known to make wet clutches slip...

Two new pence,
Rob

spacemonkey
04-03-2004, 03:19 PM
My dry clutch went at about 13000 miles. Riding around town like we do will shorten it's life expectancy. However I have now dons about 16000 on it and it still seems fine...

Melnie Mouse
04-03-2004, 03:31 PM
John, this is a common problem with people like Robht said, using car oil and not bike oil, this is more noticeable on ducati's so you MUST use bike oil...

Melnie Mouse
04-03-2004, 03:32 PM
sorry Jon spelt your name wrong didn't mean to :(

superlight3
04-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Jon's bike was filled with Shell Advance, not Halfords own-brand ;)

Cheers.

Lee.

Dark-Jon
04-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Thats ok, I'm more than happy with the work done by Lee and didn't think he'd used car oil or summint else like old chip fat :p I'll get him to take a look at it and if the clutch needs replacing, so be it. I just have to wait and see if I still have a job at the end of the month :( TV Channel I work for terminated its contract and we're due to stop broadcasting on the 29th so redundancies all round, but they may get a new deal sorted by then, might find out next week somewhen. Talk about last minute :rolleyes:

Ho-hum

Dark-Jon :)