PDA

View Full Version : S4 Bar end mirrors

FAT MATT
03-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Hi,

Loads of mirror discussions but think I have a problem which may be unique to the S4?

I purchased a pair of bar end mirrors presuming that once unscrewed the S4 bars would have a plane hole for the new mirror bar ends to slide into and clamp however after removing the weights I see they're threaded (M6?).

Any ideas on how to fit these bar ends and mirrors? I'm assuming:

1. Drill out thread to desired width for new bar ends (7/8").
2. Drill out bar ends so M6 bolt will fit through (would a bolt on option hold the mirrors still even with threadlock?.
3. Find some slimmer bar end weights that the mirrors will clamp onto.

My preference of the three above would be No 2. In that I wouldn't be modifying the bike but I am conscerned that they will vibrate loose.

Darren69
03-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Or option 4

Convert S4 to conventional tube bars or clip ons.

The standard S4 bars are pretty horrible and unadjustable too, I couldn't get on with them at all. Went in the bin.

FAT MATT
03-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Yeah,

I was sort of avoiding that option. One of those Pandora's box options as then it's new grips, new master cylinders and levers etc etc etc.

Darren69
03-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Masters and levers should swap straight over. I even re-used the original grips on mine. Hoses should be ok too unless you put risers on.

FAT MATT
03-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I'd imagine so, just that I'm a tart and it's the kind of job that would escalate from my part.

Any recommendations for clip ons, or images of your own?

Darren69
03-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Mine are Woodcraft with, IIRC a 1.5 inch rise. I tried various different types before settling with these. You can even buy different size riser plates if you want to make them higher or lower than the range of adjustment on the fork leg will allow.

There's a picture of my S4 in this thread.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=53573&highlight=clip+ons

I've got some Cyclecat fork top adapters that bolt to the top yoke in place of the standard S4 bars, these are going spare so you can put standard clip ons with no rise on top if you prefer. However they wouldn't work with my steering damper. With the clip ons bolted to them they got in the way.

Darren69
27-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Matt

I don't know if you got my PM but I have dug these Cyclcat DRA1's out of storage and can post pics if you still want 'em?