PDA

View Full Version : Seats parts heights etc

shergy
28-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Hi All,

Apologies if this is a tiresome repeat of a much asked question.

I'm new to the monster having had a thing for them for years I've got a 2003 620, which is great....however at 6ft I'm finding it a little cramped.

I know I've got the lower seat option, can anyone tell me the part no or which seat to buy to maximise height? I've seen a few on eBay but don't want to buy the wrong one.

Is my lower one worth trying to swap/sell?

Any other ther novice tips on seat height would be awesome. I need to find someone to wind the shock up for me for a start but did I read somthing about a spacer or linkage too? Hard to make sense of the info I've read for different models etc.

Thanks in advance
Simon

stopintime
28-02-2017, 08:05 PM
59510361D (from an S2R, but all other than 620 will the same)(almost sure) To investigate, go to Ducati.com -> dealers and services -> parts catalogs. This might be a good time to get a seat with the seat cowl, if you want.

Sometimes a shorter rider needs a lower seat for his/hers 'larger' bike.

Adding preload is NOT the way to increase ride height or to correct for a soft spring.

Mr Gazza
28-02-2017, 09:05 PM
You will find that a seat from an S4 will be a straight swap and be a little bit higher.
I can't tell you how much higher, but the seat will come level from the tank, rather than dip down as the 620 one does.

Of course you will be able to sell your 620 seat without too much trouble to someone shorter in the leg.

I can't give you the part number for the seat, and to be honest it doesn't often appear on the actual seat anyway. Beware the embossed number in the seat base, which is the part number for the base itself and is almost universal from 1993 onwards. they just trimmed it differently for various models.

Don't make a swap with a seat from before 2002, but you should be safe with any seat from 2002 and 2003.

Mr Gazza
28-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Bit of seat related reading here; http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=52950&highlight=seat

shergy
01-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Great thanks guys, will have a look and get one sussed.

You mention the preload not helping. As a hevier guy as apossed to the previous lady owner will hardening the preload (tightening the spring?) stop it sagging so much, or is it unrelated?

Thanks again

Darren69
01-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Yes, preload is for weight.

stopintime
01-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Preload affects ride height (to a certain degree), but it doesn't change the spring 'stiffness'. The bike will still compress the spring more than if you get a spring suited to you. Ride the bike first and modify if you discover that it's required - not because I think it's a good idea ;)

Changing the ride height changes the steering/geometry. Doesn't give you more leg room. Other Monster series bikes have the same 'dog bone' as yours in the suspension linkage, but an adjustable one. Maybe they are interchangeable... Still only of academic interest until you know what you need.

If a normal seat doesn't give you the leg room you want the seat can be modified further or you can get adjustable peg adapters or even rearsets. However: that reduces available lean angle. Maybe a problem, maybe not.

Dukedesmo
01-03-2017, 07:23 AM
I've got a Sargent seat; http://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/monster_motorcycle_seat.html which is higher than the standard seat and considerably higher than the Ducati Performance 'comfort' seat (also more comfortable) that I previously used. Also, being more padded at the front it reduces the sliding into the tank under braking.

Combined with a 25mm increased ride height, my bike's a reasonable height for 6ft, 32" legs.

Darren69
01-03-2017, 09:18 AM
It's interesting that the Sargent is higher, on my S4 I found the Corbin is slightly lower than standard. So that may be the better option if you're tall and want more height.

utopia
01-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Be aware that all monster seats before somewhere around 1998 have a slightly different profile, particularly where they fit against the tank .. this follows from the tank being slightly different too.
Also the earlier bikes had a different type of seat latch.
So you'll be wanting the later seat .. or else have your existing one re-padded and re-covered to your own requirements.
Low seats are often sought after so it should sell fairly easily.

Its possible that the previous short owner has reduced the preload in an effort to lower the rear.
It is therefore worth checking and returning to std.
You could increase it slightly from std to raise the rear but, as already mentioned, its not the proper way to do it .

Any raising of the rear will only affect the seat to ground measurement.
Seat to pegs will remain the same.
Rearsets give a little more room, if you're that way inclined.
I'm 6ft2in, and ride an M750 with rearsets and flat bars .. without too much of a squeeze.

Actually, now that I think of it, I also use a Corbin seat, which is lower than std.

A good ploy might be to come along to a local monster gathering and try someone else's seat for size.

Dukedesmo
01-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Also worth considering having your existing seat raised/recovered.

I just had the seat on my Guzzi raised as that is a very low bike on which my knees were very cramped, raising the seat 30mm makes not only reduces the acute knee angle but also keeps my knees off the cylinder heads - tip; don't ride a guzzi in shorts. :eek:

I had it done by G A Wells upholsterers in Shepshed, Leics. and they did a great job.

Darren69
01-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I agree with what Stopintime and Jeff says above, so its certainly worth dialling in the preload to reduce the amount the bike sags under your weight, won't give you more height but will get it back and keep it more standard. The ride height bar can be swapped with an S4, 1000, SBK or similar that is adjustable and is worth doing as it will give you the opportunity to improve the bikes handling by adding more rear ride height as standard its too low and rear biased. Maybe combined with the preload will maintain the bikes attitude and possibly give you a little bit more actual seat height or at the least restore it to standard. Other than that I would say that adding a taller S4 seat or padding yours out would be the best option. None of the suspension adjustments mentioned will increase the actual peg to seat height, which with long legs you will need to be comfortable.

I'd never realised that both of those guys are both 6ft plus so it goes to show that it is possible to make the Monster comfortable for taller riders. The monster is generally regarded as a small, low seat bike which is small and low even for me at 5 8. you just need to set it up right.

Pedro
01-03-2017, 08:06 PM
I have a standard 1000DS seat somewhere, should fit a 620 ok. What year is your bike.

I also have a couple of seat covers as well. Not far from you either

Let me know if you're interested

shergy
01-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Wow thanks all! What an amazing wealth of information.

So good to hear it from people with h the bikes knowledge and height too! I'm so stoked with the responses thank you.

Seat and reset preload first then. Glad it can be sorted really was thinking I'd made a massive mistake heart over head with the bike choice.

Pedro I'm very interested in the seat if it's higher it's a 2003 and I'm near Wimborne, Dorset.

utopia
01-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Heart over head usually wins in the end.

I dunno how tall you are but Dukedesmo and myself have both taken additional measures to raise the overall height of our bikes .. to suit our taller stature.
At the front we have dropped the forks through the yokes a little .. at least I have, I think Tim has too.
And we have both raised the rear by altering the linkage.
We have also both (I think) ended up with the rear raised slightly more than the front, such that the steering is a tad sharper .. which is a common mod on monsters.
Our rear suspension is the hoop type though (and we've fitted extenders to the hoop) .. yours has the single rod.
I'm not personally familiar with that type but I'm pretty sure the rear can be raised in a similar fashion.
Note that these mods do not affect the operation of the suspension (well maybe a tad at the rear being pedantic, but nothing worth a shout). They merely raise the whole bike and can also alter its steering geometry.
Neither do they alter the seat to peg height.
Now that my bike sits higher, its not quite such a Knee bend to put a foot down when stopping .. though it was never a problem before really.
It also has a little more ground clearance.
So if you can sort the seat to peg business and you still find the seat a little low at standstill, it shouldn't be hard to tweek.

....but that's all for later.

Pedro
01-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Pedro I'm very interested in the seat if it's higher it's a 2003 and I'm near Wimborne, Dorset.

Hi Simon

It's off a 2003 bike so will drop right on. I'll dig it out at the weekend if you can bear with me.

I'm near Stonehenge

Ped

shergy
02-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Utopia, that's great thank you. Lots to think about and play with! Are you running Renthal Flat bars? All fit ok?

Pedro, that's great, yes please dig it out. I'll run up and grab it, shame I won't be able to carry it on the bike very easily, would be a nice ride over there!

utopia
02-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Yep, Renthal flat bars.
I had to drop the forks slightly in the yokes to allow clearance though .. but I was planning to do this anyway, as previously mentioned, and raised the rear to (more than) compensate for the geometry changes.
Dukedesmo has the same, but had even more of a clearance issue because he has forks with top-nut preload adjusters .. mine do not. He fitted additional risers.
I managed to get away with the same hydraulic hoses too, but they needed repositioning and tbh were under a slight stress in their new position, but nothing to worry too much about .. I have the basic, coffin-style master cylinders.

Dukedesmo
02-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Dukedesmo has the same, but had even more of a clearance issue because he has forks with top-nut preload adjusters .. mine do not. He fitted additional risers.

To add, I used 30mm risers which means the flat bars sit at around the same height as standard bars. I did try some other Renthal bars that sat at the same height (without the risers) but due to the way/location of the bend they wouldn't clear the fork adjusters.

I like the flat bars better anyway...

slob
02-03-2017, 09:53 AM
...shame I won't be able to carry it on the bike very easily, would be a nice ride over there!

Cowl off (if fitted), a couple of bungees and stick it upside down & sideways across the pillion seat. Just make sure you refasten the cowl properly afterwards as they're famous for flying off if the screws come loose.

Dirty
02-03-2017, 11:51 AM
You can also fit a seat in a decent sized back pack

Darkness
02-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Cowl off (if fitted), a couple of bungees and stick it upside down & sideways across the pillion seat.....

That should raise the seat height nicely

shergy
02-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys, Yeah would be rude not to make it happen some how, too good of an excuse for a ride! Think i prefer the back pack option though!

Thanks for info on bars, will put that on the list.

I really want nicer sounding exhaust but should get the boring getting comfy things done first......or should I?!