PDA

View Full Version : PJ1 satin spraying

jerry
06-02-2017, 05:24 PM
I am about to spray the engine timing ,alternator and clutch outer casings on my 750ss with PJ1 300c satin black but although i have all the metalworked rubbed down and degreased nicely and smooth im worried about the ambient temp as my garage is barely above freezing at this time of year should I wait as im thinking the paint wont like it at these low temps

Dirty
06-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Yes, wait til it's warmer

Jez900ie
06-02-2017, 06:26 PM
I have never used that stuff, but I have also yet to find any paints which like zero temps. I would wait so as to get the best results.

slob
06-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Wait till its warmer, heat the parts up before spraying.
I always stand spray cans in warm water before spraying too.

Darren69
06-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Even when its warmer I always put the paint cans in hot water beforehand. It does help.

garry
06-02-2017, 06:34 PM
everything needs to be warm, as above, ...

jerry
07-02-2017, 12:35 PM
might bring the parts inside and set up in kitchen but heat them up a little as well the paint is in a warm place already

thanks chaps

utopia
07-02-2017, 01:47 PM
The trouble with spraying inside is that you get a fine paint dust which settles absolutely everywhere.
It may even still have a little stickiness in it as it settles, so its harder to remove.
I used the bathroom when I was spraying my handguards a few winters ago.
This was better than the kitchen because there were less nooks and crannies to catch the dust.
Also, I could at least have a cup of tea while the paint was drying, without having to breathe the fumes.
And, with the fire on downstairs and the upstairs windows open, there was a good upward flow of air to exhaust the fumes.
There are still a few corners of the bathroom which bear a fine layer of black dust though.
Whichever room you use, put everything away before you spray, otherwise cleaning up will be a nightmare.
I put a board over the bath to use as a handy spray table.
And hung an old sheet on the wall behind.

Dukedesmo
07-02-2017, 02:32 PM
The trouble with spraying inside is that you get a fine paint dust which settles absolutely everywhere.

Indeed, I was recently spraying a reflective orange on to the nose fairing of my Guzzi. I did it in the garage but away from the cars as it was too cold outside.

The next time I went out in my car all I could see was film of orange powder over the paintwork.

It all washed off OK but I had to clean both mine and the Wife's car and I'm still finding said fluorescent film on other stuff... :rolleyes:

kezz32
09-03-2017, 08:03 PM
just made a real mess spraying a motor with pj1 engine paint , in a 22 degree workshop with paint warmed up , chuck pj1 in the bin and get some other paint . IMHO

Mr Gazza
09-03-2017, 08:38 PM
VHT is very good indeed... Primer enamel and lacquer.

I once badly scalded my feet when making some soup. The instructions on the tin said stand in boiling water for 5 minutes.. Be careful out there!! :rolleyes: