PDA

View Full Version : 900SS IE engine into a Monster 900 S IE

blackthorn
05-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Hi folks,

Just wondering is the 900SS IE engine is the same as the Monster 900 S IE engine? I'm about to buy a 900SS IE engine for my monster since mine is broken. I'm pretty certain they are the same but just looking for confirmation really :mand:

Cheers,

Roo

Mr Gazza
05-02-2017, 11:08 AM
I think I would be right in saying that the 900ie engine is much the same across the range.
Certainly the engine to frame mounts will be the same and also the swinging arm pivots'
(When the Monster was invented they took engines from the SS to build Monsters)

The SS has a low mounted oil cooler, but I think that is just the same valve cover in a different position. On the Monster the temperature sensor is on the top along with the oil cooler mounts, whether or not the SS still has the sensor on top or if it goes below with the same cover, I don't know. It's a simple matter of swapping the covers from your Monster engine if it's an issue.

The biggest issue is going to be the year of manufacture as there were differences in time rather than model.
Assuming that your Sie is year 2000/1 then it will have a unique front sprocket, with a boss either side. Other years have a boss on one side only. You must use the correct sprocket for the engine, so just a matter of identifying that.. Hopefully the sprocket will still be on the SS engine.

The sensor suite and ECU is also much simpler on the 2000/1 900ie. so long as you use a matching sensor suite and ECU then you should be okay with either engine. On a later model with red key and immobiliser, there could be a need to match up the dash instruments too.
Bear in mind that your bike would have had a mechanical speedo driven from the front wheel and a later one will have an electronic one driven from a rear wheel sensor.. something to think about if you want the clock faces to match.

Way the easiest thing to do is to just transfer the whole sensor suite over to the new engine and it should run just like the former one. So long as the injectors are the same.

Dukedesmo
05-02-2017, 11:53 AM
The SS has a low mounted oil cooler, but I think that is just the same valve cover in a different position.

Actually they are a a different cover, as I found out when I relocated mine to the lower position.

Otherwise I'm sure the engine is the same, the only difference I'm aware of in the Monster vs SS engine range is that later carbed engines on the Monsters had different heads ('W' rather than 'V') but the i.e. engines are the same AFAIK.

blackthorn
05-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Wow thanks for that in-depth replay Gazza!

As you say if there is any differences with covers or sensors I can just swap them over from my engine to the new one :)

My bike is a 2001 and the engine I'm buying is a 2001 as well so should be more or less exactly the same.There is a 2002 as well but the 2001 engine has lower mileage so just going to get that one.

Sadly the sprocket isn't on the engine so that's a bit of a downer :-/ fingers crossed I can just swap mine over onto the new engine and all is well!

My Monster has digi clocks on it so speed sensors won't be an issue

It is literally just the engine with no TB's or that so i'll be transferring mine over to the new one, injectors etc will be all good!

Mr Gazza
05-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Okay, you did the right thing going for the same year, the lower mileage is a bonus.

I did suspect that the valve cover might be different for the oil cooler, but you have the right bits to hand, so no problem.

2001 was a changeover year, with some subtle little changes to one or two things and some bigger ones to things like the electronics suite and rear suspension.
The only thing that will concern you is the output shaft which might require either of the two types of sprocket.
It's just a matter of comparing where the groove for the sprocket retaining ring is.
Assuming that the correct sprocket is fitted to your Monster, it will be that one required if the grooves are in the same place. or the other type if they are not... The difference will be 5mm.

utopia
05-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Whatever the sprocket issues, if you check the chain alignment and find it to be wrong, its not hard to restore it by reversing the sprocket so the boss is on the inside and then fitting a shim (effectively a boss of thickness of your own choosing) between the sprocket and the retainer plate.
I did this on my 750 when I swapped from steel to ally swingarm.