PDA

View Full Version : Risers

hipshaker
09-01-2017, 07:35 AM
In my quest to get my bike back on the road I fancy getting some risers to slightly ease the comfort. I want to commute on it more ..... been using a Vespa GTS300 for that, which is very easy to ride.

From looking online pretty much only found these:
https://www.designcorse.com/collections/handlebar-risers-clamps/products/cnc-monster-o28-6-mm-riser?variant=4231309569

Anyone used them and can comment? Or any better suggestions?

Monster 800ie 2004.

Thanks.

hipshaker
09-01-2017, 06:10 PM
So ...... i ordered them but then found out that apparently there are different diameter handlebars. These are for 28.6mm but having measured mine they are more like 23.1mm. Does anyone know how i might get something nearer the 23.1mm i seem to have on my bike?

stopintime
09-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Those are for newer bikes with tapered/fat bars.

Your bike takes something like this for 22 mm bars http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/SSRBR2/Comfort-Touring/SSRBR2.html

hipshaker
09-01-2017, 06:33 PM
indeed ..... just need to track some down here!

stopintime
09-01-2017, 07:18 PM
If those SSR risers are what you want, I'm sure they and others do ebay as well... Worth mentioning... unless you find them locally, shipping from MonsterParts isn't too bad.

hipshaker
11-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Slightly different suggestion from the riser supplier ...... get new handlebars too. CNC make some nice looking ones and they are suggesting these:
https://www.designcorse.com/products/ducati-29mm-handlebars-medium-rise-cnc-racing?variant=21010366977

They do different versions though, that being the "medium rise" which is apparently 30mm. I'm assuming that may be close to the standard bars height?

There is also a "high rise" at 50mm.

Either would be used in conjunction with the riser I posted above.

However, they also do a handlebar that has a 22mm diameter that I'm assuming would fit on without having to buy risers ..... the height is said to be 45mm:
https://www.designcorse.com/collections/ducati/products/ducati-22mm-handlebars-cnc-racing

The advertised height here is 45mm.

I'm getting confused .... does anyone have a suggestion? I want more height for an easier riding position ..... I'm around 5' 7" / 5' 8", if I was over 6' it might be more comfortable.

utopia
11-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Renthal do ally 22mm handlebars.
I used to have their "ultra-low" versions .. which aren't actually that low and are in fact almost identical to the std, old-style, monster bars.
They also do higher versions though, which should give you the option that you require.
The quality is excellent.
Note though that you will have to drill little holes for the pegs on the switchgear and throttle housing to locate in. Don't be tempted to just cut off the pegs as is often suggested as this will not locate the parts safely and securely and also, particularly in the case of the throttle, will cause the housing to crack when its overtightened in an attempt to restore a tight fit (and tape around the bars is no solution either).

You may find that you need longer cables and hydraulic hoses to suit the taller bars though, so it could all get pricey.
22mm risers are probably the easier option as they would be much easier to fit (and to subsequently remove perhaps), but they won't look as tidy.

Dukedesmo
11-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Any good?; http://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/bar-risers-22mm-h-30mm-black-

FLATTOP
11-01-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm getting confused .... does anyone have a suggestion? I want more height for an easier riding position ..... I'm around 5' 7" / 5' 8", if I was over 6' it might be more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

I'm 5'8" and I have a M1000 and I've got the 30mm risers from sling shot racing simple solution for a slight twinge in my shoulders I had them on my 900 as well.

Also just too add no adjustments required with any cables or brake lines a cheap simple plug and play.

Mr Gazza
11-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Ducati fitted higher clamps/risers to the M900Sie and others, to lift the bars above the adjusters on the fork tops.

You would only need the lower parts and possibly the longer bolts, as your bars and the top part of the clamp(s) would still fit... just a bit higher.

You might be lucky and find someone on here with some for sale?
If not I bet Moto Rapido would be able to get them if they are still listed... Ask for your UKMOC discount.... Probably the same if not cheaper than a fancy custom part.

dacs
11-01-2017, 06:17 PM
I have just put a pair of risers on my 2002 750ie - they were advertised as being also suitable for 2002-onwards 800ie. They are supplied with the longer bolts required, have a 1.25 inch rise and the clutch and brake levers went back on without any problems with the original hoses. Switchgear also no problems with the loom length. I changed my bars at the same time (to a pair of alloy M600(?) ones), but could have fitted the risers and the original bars would have dropped straight back into place. Got them from America, from SSR - his Ebay id is ssr_mfg and the risers aren't always listed on Ebay but are listed in his Ebay shop. Cost me £32 plus postage, probably a bit more now since the a**e fell out of the pound. Oh, and the resulting riding position is soooo much nicer :D

damien666
11-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Hipshaker you have a pm.

hipshaker
11-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Thanks all ...... a mine of useful info.

damien666
12-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Hipshaker you have pm with pics.