PDA

View Full Version : New(ish) Monster owner

Uncle Bob
05-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Good afternoon all,

I'm in my mid-forties from the Milton Keynes area, and last summer I bought myself a tidy little 10 plate Monster 696+ in red (naturally). The intention was to change to something completely different, in the hope that it would reignite a love of biking that had started to waver after years of riding bikes mostly in the 'Supersport' category. Truth be told, I consider myself slightly too old and fat to contort myself into that riding position these days, and it was becoming a bit of a chore. Plus, wifey wouldn't go on my last bike (GSXR) due to it being not particularly pillion friendly, so that was a '+' for the Monster as well.

Anyway, I went shopping for a Monster 796 really, mostly because I didn't want to drop too much power, however I had a go on a 696 from a garage not far away and I totally fell in love with it. Power is SO not what these bikes are about, and despite it feeling quite slow compared to my GSXR (as entirely expected) it was so much more fun to ride! I returned from the test ride with an enormous grin, and that was what really sold it to me. So, thanks to my little Monster I've got that love of biking back :) Maybe at some point I'll trade it in for a 796\821\1200 or whatever, but for now I'm having an absolute blast on this brilliant little bike.

I've treated it to a new seat (mashing my nuts against the tank got old REAL quick!), OEM pillion grab rails for wifey (not that she's been on it yet!), and I'm looking at replacing the stock cans with something a bit more interesting sounding, plus getting shot of the standard tail unit. Threads on those subjects to follow I'm sure...

AshM750
05-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, it sound like you have got the upgrade bug already. What a fab bike you have, I have an old 97 M750 and your right in what you say, they are so much fun, you dont get that with a sports bike of any kind. :spin:

Uncle Bob
05-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks AshM750. To be honest I only really want to do those things I mentioned. The stuff I've done already (low seat, grab rails) is all from Ducati, I don't actually think the 696 lends itself too well to aftermarket exhaust cans, mostly due to where they are, and that there are two of them.

Typically, the ones I like the sound of the most (Termis, Akropovic) are also the most expensive. Although I also like a couple from Arrow and Leo Vince too, which are about half the price (ish). It's not that I hate the standard ones, they just sound a bit boring on this bike, IMO.

Jez900ie
05-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Sorry that you feel too old and fat. On the upside its good to know you haven't lost the feeling in your nuts! LOL

You have great taste in bikes too. I'm going to look up these Leo Vince blokes methinks (half price?)...