PDA

View Full Version : Tyres - BT023 vs Pilot Road

hipshaker
05-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Monster 800 will be getting a service in the next couple of weeks, need new tyres .... BT023 have been suggested but I recall reading a few positive things about the Pilot Roads (3 when I read I think, but 4 now) on here.

Any thoughts on direct comparison from those who've ridden both? Or thoughts from anyone who chose a particular brand?

Or are they much of a muchness?

Many thanks

Ron1000
05-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Just from my own experience but I used to run Conti Road attack (think they have moved on to RA 2 Evo) they were excellent, also running Pirelli diablo rosso 2's which I find good but not outstanding.

Before the next season begins I'll be re-shoed with Metzler M7 RR which are supposed to be very very good. Pirelli are also releasing a diablo rosso 3 which I'm hearing good things about.

Stinger101
05-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Michelin Pilot Road 4's are recognised as one of the best out there. They are a measured improvement on the PR3.
Metzeler Roadtec Z8 are also recognised as 'up there' and have recently been replaced by there new improved Roadtec 01!
Dunlop's new Roadsmart 3 SP (SP stands for Single Ply - for lighter machines) (non SP has 2 ply rear carcass for heavier tourers)
I'm a Michelin fan so would always fit the PR4. The truth is; all tyres mentioned above and the other leading brands I haven't are very good and out perform 99% of us. It's a personal 'feel' between the brands.
The Metzeler M7RR are more sports biased but are also very highly rated and I would fit them if Michelin Pilot Sport 3's (that I have on my M12S) weren't available.
I could go on for a page or 3 as I have 30 years 'in tyres' so I'll stop before I hyperventilate....:D:thumbsup:

Stinger101
05-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Also, I forgot to mention that the BT023 has been replaced by the T30 Evo now. That is Bridgestone's new Touring offering to match the other brands offerings in the touring tyre sector.

Jez900ie
05-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Stinger, your opinion on Bridgestone S20's? Almost new ones came with the bike...

Stinger101
05-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Jez, The S20 Evo is the newest version of that tyre. Again, an excellent tyre that is more sports orientated than touring. Bridgestone use the first letter to indicate the tyre's natural place in the world i.e. T30 for Touring. S20 for Sports and R10 for Racing (Track days etc)
In terms of leading brands e.g. Michelin, Pirelli, Metzeler, Bridgestone, Dunlop, you really can't buy a bad tyre. It is personal feel and/or historical preference.
Some people just won't change because 'they've always ridden on Dunlop' so that's enough for them. I've said above, all of the leading brands are excellent and can out perform all of us.
I happen to fall into the historical Michelin user as I seem to love everything they do for my bikes. I have Pilot Road 4's on my VFR800. Pilot Power 3's on the Monster and Michelin Power Slick Evo on the GSXR1000 track bike.

Jez900ie
05-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Stinger thank you for that. Good to know the tyres have a good rating. A bonus that they are virtually new and came with the bike.

Fat Pete
05-01-2017, 06:24 PM
I had Pilot Road 3's fitted to a Honda CB 600 Hornet and they were brilliant in the wet, you could lean with confidance and never felt like they were going to let go. I would fit them to my 821 if they done size to fit the rear.

Mr Gazza
05-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Interesting to read your comments on brand loyalty Stinger, and as always your informed info on tyres.
Since going Italian with my bikes in the nineties I have been a "Pirelli man". Previous to that I had become very impressed indeed with the Metzelers of the time on my OIF Triumphs.
I note that Metzeler now own Pirelli (or vice versa)?

When searching for this years tyres, and considering PR3s very seriously, I noticed that on paper the Pirelli Angel ST is equivalent to the PR3 and also the newer Pirelli Angel GT is equivalent or superior to the PR4 (in terms of an all weather sports touring tyre)

Being a "Pirelli man" and also the Angels being quite a bit cheaper, I went for the Angel ST pair.
If they hadn't bothered with the silly gimmicky pictures on the tread face I would have given them my attention a lot sooner.... I understand the pictures soon wear off.

AshM750
05-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Ive only ever used maxis and Bridgestone(touring and sports) tyres, the BT 21s I used on the track and they where excellent, so the BT23 must be better.

bazread
05-01-2017, 08:44 PM
+1 for PR3's fantastic tyres :mand:

hipshaker
05-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Thanks very much everyone, especially Stinger for the detail ........ great to hear views

Dirty
06-01-2017, 12:46 AM
Pirelli do the best calendars/marketing :) https://youtu.be/EQoKwE1tFgI

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/c_limit,w_680/f_auto,fl_lossy,pg_1,q_auto/uqxwqibnnlsycp5g1unn.jpg

http://media.vanityfair.com/photos/565f571ab587f921319e8214/master/pass/t-pirelli-calendar-2016-amy-schumer.jpg

Uncle Bob
06-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Just thought I'd chip in with a vote for PR4s. I've got them and so far I'm very impressed. They warm up quickly and any movement is usually progressive rather than snappy.

I can't compare to the BT23, but I've come from the BT16 Pro on a completely different bike and I'd say the PR4 is a better road tyre.

utopia
06-01-2017, 12:04 PM
I assume that a large number, perhaps most, if not all "road" tyres are multiple compound these days ?
For me, the most important aspect of a tyre is whether it has lost its profile.
Therefore I've been using Michelin Pilot Roads (2&3) since they introduced their double compound, because of its profile retaining benefits.
I had excellent mileage out of the 2s before the rear squared off (6,000m), which I attribute to the double compound.
I work on the principle that, no matter how good the tyre, once its profile has been degraded it will be worse than a lower spec, but new tyre.
I am also convinced by the theory behind the thin slits (sipes ?) in the tread of the PR3s and 4s .. ie that they promote fast warm up and hence good grip in colder or wet conditions.
I fitted the 3s recently, because they seemed comparable to the new 4s, but were significantly cheaper.
Fast warming/grip in cold/wet conditions seems to me to be more important than super-grip on fast summer bends .. when it comes to the crunch.
The 3s have only let go on me once so far (rear), and that felt like a patch of something slimy, cos it just stepped sharply sideways and then bit again.
Interestingly, that would normally leave me spooked for the next few miles but somehow the feedback was reassuring enough to allow me to continue unrestrained.
Make of that what you will.

Basically, anything with a decent profile will do me for the short summer months but at other times I like the sipes.
Also, I confess, I'm a "historical" Michelin ..er ..person. ;)

Darkness
06-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Does anyone want to share a view of the Diablo Supercorsa SC?

How do they ride?

Uncle Bob
06-01-2017, 03:16 PM
I had Supercorsa SCs on my ZX-6R and to be honest they weren't a great match for me (despite looking cool as fook) even with most of my riding on that bike being 'fast road'. You have to ride them pretty hard in order to get any heat in them, let alone retain it, and on the road that equates to riding like a twat. Not ideal, then.

I did a track day on them at Donny and obviously they were much, much better suited to that. Once properly warm they stick like poo to a blanket of course, but IMO the track is the only place where they make sense.

Horses for courses, and all that :).

Darkness
06-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks Uncle Berb. I am interested as they are the stock fitment on the m1200R, so should suit the Monster, unless they are just there for looks on the most powerful one?

Uncle Bob
06-01-2017, 03:51 PM
It's not unheard of! And to be fair, it largely depends on the rider (and the conditions). For UK road riding, mostly, and with me as the pilot, it wasn't a good match. But for you on a 1200R, who knows?! :)

Martin Duke
07-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Monster 800 will be getting a service in the next couple of weeks, need new tyres .... BT023 have been suggested but I recall reading a few positive things about the Pilot Roads (3 when I read I think, but 4 now) on here.

Any thoughts on direct comparison from those who've ridden both? Or thoughts from anyone who chose a particular brand?

Or are they much of a muchness?

Many thanks

As mentioned later on, there probably aren't any bad tyres around these days. I got on really well with Dunlop Roadsmarts and have replaced them with Roadsmart 2's - perhaps a bit conservative of me but there we are! I am very happy with them all round, in particular they feel very safe in the wet. Martin :gromit:

Luxexterior
25-01-2017, 09:04 AM
I had BT23's on fitted to my M900ie when I bought it. I thought they were fantastic, I wore them out & would have had BT23's again but went for their replacement the BT30. So far I prefer the BT23 but because of the weather etc I have had limited time to wear in the BT30's so I might change my mind with more miles under them.

Flip
25-01-2017, 09:13 PM
I had Supercorsa SCs on my ZX-6R and to be honest they weren't a great match for me (despite looking cool as fook) even with most of my riding on that bike being 'fast road'. You have to ride them pretty hard in order to get any heat in them, let alone retain it, and on the road that equates to riding like a twat. Not ideal, then.

I did a track day on them at Donny and obviously they were much, much better suited to that. Once properly warm they stick like poo to a blanket of course, but IMO the track is the only place where they make sense.

Horses for courses, and all that :).

Nice to read such an honest report- I have said for some time now that most riders will have more confidence and therefore ride quicker (if wanted) A to B on the roads more of the time using the current crop of Sport touring tyres than the latest road legal race rubber which at the first hint of rain prevent much leaning from vertical due to slick tyre edges and the rapid cooling down of the rubber.

And as mentioned, I think a lot of new bikes do come out on tyres which aren't ideally suited to the UK's weather, either because of the deals manufacturers have with each other, tyre looks or the (in ideal conditions) level of available grip.

hipshaker
29-01-2017, 11:13 AM
I went with the michelins in the end .... bike still away being serviced at the moment.