PDA

View Full Version : Carb Upgrade or wheels???

AshM750
22-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a while due to my Monster being in bits and it's nearly been 2 years rebuilding it.

I have got so far,

Full respray and powder coat in black and gold
Front fork upgraded by Maxton(fully adjustable)
Rear Hyperpro Suspension
New Anodised Triple clamp
Digital speedo
Mini round headlight
New clip on
GPR High level cans
Gel Battery
Jet 2 carb upgrade
Ect Ect

The cam belt and Cush drives will be replaced in new year.

My question is what would you upgrade first?

39mm Keihin FCR carbs
Or
Magnisum/Alloy wheels?(any recommendations?)

What would benefit me more?

Thank you and Merry Xmas.
Ash

1997 M750 Single Disc

Darren69
22-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Ask Jeff (Utopia) he's done both I believe. I would say the wheels would be your better choice as the first choice and the carbs seconds, given that upgrades to handling would be of more benefit than more power. After all "Power is nothing without control!" And although that is cliché its probably true as you would probably feel more of an improvement with the wheels lighter than the slight increase in power that the FCR's would give and they really are a race carb so they maybe a bit unforgiving for normal road use I would say, but I don't have any real experience of them but have ridden a few bikes with flat slides and CV's are better 90% of the time.

AshM750
22-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks Darren,

Your right, wheels should come first. I will need to find a place that sells the alloys for a good price, the best I've found so far is £2000. Carb kits are about £1200 I believe. I will have to wait for Utopia to give me his experience.

Jez900ie
22-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Did I read somewhere that those FCR carbs cure the icing problem? I guess that isn't important unless you ride alot in the winter- but perhaps you do?

New wheels would be nice.............!

AshM750
22-12-2016, 06:52 PM
I was thinking about the icing issue as I have bypassed the oil pipes, I haven't riden it in winter yet.

Darren69
23-12-2016, 04:49 AM
You could always go for some carbon wheels, even lighter. I came across these the other day, had not seen before.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotobox-Carbon-fiber-Couple-of-Wheels-for-Ducati-Monster-900-1993-2001-/141933462551?hash=item210be4c417:g:npYAAOSwxp9W7Bk y

BST are also a popular choice. Alpina do some wire spoked with carbon matrix rims, I prefer the Alpinas myself but I don't think they are as light as the all carbon ones.

Best thing is message Pompone on here as he can get most kinds and you get club discount too.

Zimbo
23-12-2016, 05:51 AM
Personally I would do the carbs. They won't develop more power but will completely transform the throttle response and feel of the bike, and an associated benefit is much improved fuel consumption. No carb icing too.

AshM750
23-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the replys, I will be sure to contact pompone and Zimbo has just thrown a spanner in the works! Ha! Ha!

Kato
23-12-2016, 06:56 AM
What Zimbo said........as for wheels well, plenty of aftermarket alloy's out there that are lighter than std but none of them are going to make a hugely noticable difference other than in looks, as we are only talking a few ounces, to get that magic handling transformation, you only really have two choices Magnessium or Carbon, similar cost for both, BUT keep in mind that if you opt for Mag you'll need to keep a very close eye on them and get them crack tested every year so Carbon is really the best option for a road bike

MerlinPV12
23-12-2016, 07:10 AM
When I fitted the BST carbon wheels to my evo I was properly impressed with the impact they made on performance and handling, out of everything I have done to the bike, they made the biggist impact for me.

Unit 18
23-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Carbs, ridden several with flat slides and the difference is night and day, IMHO of course.

AshM750
23-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Carbs are most certainly the cheaper option, I wish I could afford both. I was thinking of buying a second Monster for all year riding and keep this on for shows but the upgrade bug is lethal and difficult to give up.

Do the FCR carbs come pre balanced?

Thanks for all your help.

Kato
23-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Do the FCR carbs come pre balanced?

No.....also the jetting will be approximate only, so you will need some dyno time to set them up

AshM750
23-12-2016, 08:58 AM
That would be more expense then, last time it cost me £100 for a Dyno day.

I am currently speaking to Max from Desmo Performance about wheels so I will see how much that will cost but I'm steering towards getting carbs first.

Kato
23-12-2016, 09:07 AM
If its purely a performance upgrade you are seeking I suggest that probably the cheapest and certainly easiest would be sell the 750 and buy a 900

Dukedesmo
23-12-2016, 09:42 AM
If its purely a performance upgrade you are seeking I suggest that probably the cheapest and certainly easiest would be sell the 750 and buy a 900

...then change the wheels and the carbs. :mand:

AshM750
23-12-2016, 09:56 AM
I know what you mean, I'm not really interested in having a faster bike, its getting the best out of it for me. I have already spent about £4000 on this bike, there is so much I have bought and fitted that is not listed here. I like the uniqueness of the 750 with the wet clutch which allows you to hear the exhausts if you know what I mean. Plus I bought this bike 3 years ago with 4000 MLS on it for less than £1400, which is a bargain in my eyes. If I sold this now I would loose all the money I put into it.

The basic things I bought which cost a lot were...

Suspension £1400
Custom paint job £600
Exhausts £550
Powder coating £200
Rear sets £350
Ignition coils and starter kit £250
Lights, speedos, new brakes, crash bungs ect £500

And mostly my time lol

The list goes on and on! Maybe I should have bought the M900 in the first place.

Carbs and wheels next and then I can move onto modifications to the engine.

utopia
23-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I can't advise from experience as I haven't fitted the FCRs yet.
I've wanted some for ages though, but tbh its more because my bike suffers quite badly from carb icing and I'm reliably informed that they will cure it.
I don't ride it much in the winter but I definitely need it to work properly when I do.
Any additional performance benefits will of course be welcome, but that wasn't my main reason for buying them.
And also, the price seems to have rocketed since the euro vote.
I got mine at the old price, with a further 15% discount, so they ended up costing me only about half their current price.
Not sure I'd shell out £1400 for a pair though, which is the current price on ebay from Holland.
Maybe USA prices are better these days ?
I believe they can be had via "Exige" on the other forum, who is an agent for Cal. Cycleworks.

I fitted a pair of Dymag carbon wheels last year.
The effect was immediately noticeable and I remember that my first comment was "it feels as light and responsive as my old 350cc 2-stroke".
Its certainly a very effective upgrade and will even make your bike accelerate faster and brake better in addition to the more obvious handling improvements.
Again though, I didn't pay full price .. apparently the front one is a "cosmetic second" (but I can't spot any fault with it) and so the pair came with a discount of around £600.
I believe Dymag do this from time to time .. maybe its a ruse just to sell more wheels ? If you're after some it might make sense to wait for the next batch of "seconds" (they make the basic std wheel then bond in an ally hub to suit the bike, so one wheel blank fits all).
Tbh, I suspect that most people would say that the BST carbon wheels are better quality, but I like the Dymags.
And Dymag don't do a 4.5 inch rear .. I had to go to the 5.5 inch size as fitted to the 900 monsters etc (and I also fitted an ally swingarm at the same time .. dunno whether there would be clearance probs with the steel swingarm from the 750). BST do a 4.5.
Also, I had to make the decision to always fit my own tyres to them .. I don't trust a tyre fitter and his heavy machinery.
Decent mags would be almost as light, but in the long term they may require expensive crack testing and refinishing, as Kato points out.

In both cases, the upgrades don't make financial sense at all.
BUT .. this bike is a lifetime keeper, and so different criteria apply.
This year alone, I have actually spent more than its full market value on upgrades to my 750 .. but it isn't about money any more.
And I have dyno bills to come when I get round to fitting the carbs.

If your bike is a keeper too, my advice would possibly be to rest easy while keeping your eye open for a deal.
Some used FCRs may come up, or maybe some suitable wheels.

I too sometimes wonder whether "upgrading" to 900 would make sense, but then I don't really need much more from the engine, and I like the ease of ownership that the wet clutch engine offers .. even if that does mean forsaking the clutch rattle.
But it matters not anyway .. a 900 motor can always be slotted in to the same rolling chassis.
I probably wont though.

Darren69
23-12-2016, 04:46 PM
In your situation having shelled out so much on the original bike, for £1200 quid instead of FCR's I'd be looking at a fitting a new engine, like a 900 or 1000ie or maybe even a 916 motor in there and do away with the carbs altogether. I'm not sure how practical that would be, I#m pretty sure its been done before/ More power too and better much better throttle response. than any carbs can give.

AshM750
23-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Thank you for your great reply Utopia, it really does inspire me when I read your posts. The 750 will hopefully be in my hands forever and like you say "money doesn't matter" it's all about making it your own. I will definitely not convert to a 900, I love the wet clutch and also being different. I will just see how I feel in the new year but I will definitely be buying some carbs first with wheels to follow(if I can find a good price).

AshM750
23-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Darren, would a 1000 engine fit? I love that little 750 engine though

Kato
23-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Both the 900 & 1000 motors will fit straight in the 916 would require frame modification

Bitza
23-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Re fitting alternative engines, first you may well find that later engines use larger studs to hold the engine into the frame, which can be drilled out but does make it a tight fit when getting a socket onto the recessed nuts. If you go for the superior (far better inlet tract and cams) injection format engines, you may have to make a small alteration to the frame with the small frame stiffening strut between the cylinders, it needs a small flat and lifting up very slightly. Plus revised electrics including an ecu. Bitza.

AshM750
23-12-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't like the sound of that. Boreing holes in my frame. I might just buy another monster lol

Dukedesmo
23-12-2016, 08:22 PM
the 916 would require frame modification

And 'may' have interference issues between front cylinder head and front wheel?

The 916cc engined monsters and ST models used the drop-cam cylinder head (shorter) to gain clearance under suspension compressing, whereas actual 916 bikes had the longer heads.

Not sure if this change was necessary for the Monster or whether it was the ST that called for it ? but something to consider as the Monster does have a steeper steering head angle than a 916.

Said shorter headed engines from ST4 or Monster S4 wouldn't need the swingarm area engineering to fit a Monster frame either...

AshM750
23-12-2016, 09:12 PM
So if you were to buy a second monster/Ducati and tour with it/use as daily ride what would it be? Say you had a budget of £2500???

I was thinking of maybe buying another bike instead of upgrading the wheels and carbs.

Zimbo
23-12-2016, 11:10 PM
ST3, should just about find one for that money. Comfortably, fully faired, 107bhp, but still the injected monster frame underneath it all. If you find one with full luggage, all the better :-)

utopia
24-12-2016, 12:10 AM
Well, my take on it would be .. keep one monster, and run a thumper as a daily ride.
But then I would say that cos that's what I do.
Can't really see the point in owning two Ducati "roadsters".
Particularly if one of them is the archetypal multi-purpose roadster that the monster is.
Owning two would just divide my attention between them and weaken the bond with either, I think.
And neither would get the special treatment in terms of mods.

Of course, it is possible to lavish expense on more than one bike, but that strikes me as kinda excessive.
Whereas with just the one apple of my eye, I can justify almost any expense.
....though ultimately the thumper is ending up getting a few tweeks too ... but it had to wait 15yrs.
And it's still expected to relish the salt and snow.

All this does rather depend on having the right bike in the first place though, and that is a very personal thing.
For me it is the 750, and I've been riding long enough to have confidence in the long term correctness my choice.
When I bought it though, it was a toss-up between it and a 1000DS.

A keeper is a wonderful thing as it allows you to take it to a level that short-termers simply can't justify.
For example, my carbon wheels were an excessive mod BUT I will from now on ride on wheels of that quality for ever (unless I'm on the thumper).
That kind of logic makes much more sense to me than paying the depreciation costs of constantly changing new models .. none of which will have such good wheels.
The same thing applies to your Maxton front end .. no other bike you can buy off the shelf will ever have forks that good, but you can ride off into the eternal sunset on them.

Don't be too inspired by my ramblings though .. its your choice that counts.
I was hooked on the notion a 750 monster as far back as 1974, on the basis that if the first bevel twins were cheaper, more reliable, had better dealer network, better electrics, belts instead of bevel gears, monoshock rear and usd, disc-braked front, they would have been perfect.
So you can see that my choice of the 750 cuts very deeply indeed .. its like they made it especially for me.
Also, I ran it for 6 or 7yrs before I let rip with the expensive mods, just in case I hankered after more power.

Obviously, I will do a write up on the FCRs when I eventually get round to fitting them but it wont be for a good while yet.

AshM750
24-12-2016, 07:40 AM
MMMM! I do need another bike, the ST3 would be ideal but as Utopia says it would draw my attention to both bikes. I recently sold my 2007 CBR600RR and in the last 2 years I have taken it all over Europe, it is an excellent piece of machinary and in many ways far superior to most monsters, BUT! and this is a massive but, it seriously lacked heart and soul, when I got on it, it just never felt right, it was almost too perfect and it got boring. When I jump on that 750 the world changes, I have a constant smile on my face and this is why I want to put all my money into it. I mean, this is a real motorbike and this is what biking is all about!!!

I think I will buy an old Honda or somthing for daily use and keep the 750 for good weather, that way it will keep the focus on one bike.

I will also try gain some more funds and look for a good deal on the carbs first then wheels later, I dont think I will stop on this 750, it really is a dream bike. :spin:

Flip
24-12-2016, 12:07 PM
I think there are a lot of people with the older bikes in the same boat as you where they have spent more than the bike is worth- especially if they have owned it for any length of time.

I've had my '97 900 almost eighteen years and love it more now than ever and so if the 750 does everything you want why change it? Especially as you obviously know all it's workings so well having carried out the modifications you have.

Same goes for the touring thing really- unless of course you need two up comfort. I find my Monster really comfortable and can easily do a 400 mile day which is exactly what I did earlier this year, leaving West Sussex in the morning and arriving in Bayeux early evening after travelling the more scenic coastal route down. Then onto LeMans the next day, Rouen the day after then home on day four- all in all just under 1100 miles.

Lovely French villages:
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_7294_zpsjsgxfkje.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_7294_zpsjsgxfkje.jpg.html)

Made some friends in Le Mans:
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_7366_zpsfsrhognp.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_7366_zpsfsrhognp.jpg.html)

Choose your roads well and a Monster is the perfect motorcycle for touring on:
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_7424_zpsffdzcl4c.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_7424_zpsffdzcl4c.jpg.html)

AshM750
24-12-2016, 05:07 PM
There great pics Flip, looks like you have had some good adventures on the monster. I have spent too much money on the bike to use it as a tourer, it will be my little beast to ride around town and go to meets on.

Flip
24-12-2016, 05:26 PM
I know what you mean about spending money- over the last couple of years especially I have gone through mine replacing the more tired items along with a Maxton fork conversion a service of the Nitron shock I fitted several years ago plus all the fuel lines, steering bearings and other 'service parts' etc etc.

All in addition to the rear sets, Ferracci exhausts and the carbon parts bought when the bike was still a current model. So all added up probably worth more than the bike itself.

But I kind of think what's the point in having it if it's not going to get used and to be honest there isn't much else that I really fancy. As long as everything is put on properly and you find places to stay with secure parking it's about as much fun as you can have on a motorcycle

AshM750
24-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I will definetly be riding my monster in the summer and probably not stop riding it, I just need to get it put back together, MOTd, Taxed and insured. I believe it will be ridable by end of next month.

I actually started her today for the first time in nearly 2 years and she started straight away with no issues. Well apart from me not tightning the oil cooler pipes enough and oils p***ed out all over the floor, but I tightened them and fill her back up with oil and all is ok. I learnt a lesson today, always check your work. :fou:

AshM750
05-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Are these carbs a good cheaper alternative to the Keihin carbs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikuni-TDMR-40-flatslide-racing-carburetors-Ducati-750-900-SuperSport-Monster/192026465328?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D38661%26meid%3Dcc6379d415cb44089a9fb86b662f 9195%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1911 09694951

Darren69
05-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Yes I think they look similar to the Keihins. so probably do the same job but really, cheaper? I don't know how much Keihins are these days but I'd still be looking at efi conversion if its better throttle response your after especially if its worth a 1000 quid . You could spend days of dyno time just getting them carbs set up somewhere near. EFI gives near perfect fueling to your requirements and can be changed instantly if wrong. Flat slides with a pumper are an absolute nightmare to setup properly unless you have the patience of a saint and can afford all the dyno time. Cool mod if you can pull it off though.

AshM750
05-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Interesting Darren, what is EFI (Injection?) if you dont mind me asking? Is that a stupid question? I never knew you could convert it. The Keihins are £1400 I believe.

Darren69
05-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Yes fuel injection. It should be possible given that you change the right bits from an efi engine and add the required electronics to run it. I don't what that would cost of doing that but just saying for £1400 you could sell your bike and get a new efi version with the extra 1400 and be done with it.

I've had many Ducati over the last 20=25 odd years and the carb bikes, they never run just right all the time. But the EFi bikes are pretty much spot on. Much better than carbs but far from perfect but I think its the best thing Ducati ever did. I would choose and injection bike over a carb bike any day, night and day difference.

AshM750
05-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Thanks Darren, that does make sence, the problem I have is that I have already spent a bit on this bike so it would be either new carbs or fuel injection conversion. I will do some investigating.

Kato
05-01-2017, 08:04 PM
The Mikuni TDMR's on paper are just as good, but when you consider they have always been an option in the same market and still all the main tuners and Factory specials went with the Kehin's, I guess that says it all

Couple that with availability of parts and readily available knowledge of the FCR and its a no brainer

TDMR's do have one small plus in their favour in that they have a choke

AshM750
05-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Thanks Kato, is it essential that you have a choke then? Mikunis are £400 cheaper, surely there not worth that much more?

Dirty
05-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Carbs = character :mand:

AshM750
05-01-2017, 10:34 PM
:thumbsup:Carbs = character :mand:

utopia
06-01-2017, 03:17 AM
.... surely they're not worth that much more?

Depends who's doing the valuing.
And (probably in this case) how.

I agree with Kato.

And, funnily enough, I recently noticed the same seller has begun advertising a Mikuni flat slide kit that would fit my Dommie.
Reading between the lines, I suspect that international economics have conspired to push the price of the Kehins too high for the British, post-referendum market but the Mikunis offer a cheaper alternative.
But who is doing the valuing ?
Being objective, I would put the value of a pair of FCRs on an older monster as £400 to £500.
The market currently says they're "worth" £1400 in Blighty.
I would probably have paid the pre-referendum price of £850, but that's largely because money is meaningless as far as the monster is concerned .. it's never being sold .. I'll be riding it (and little else) for an awfully long time and therefore, if I can improve it I will do so ..and equally I will reap the rewards of those improvements for a very long time, so the cost per mile is small.
My overview would be that current global economics render either carb upgrade overpriced at this particular moment .. which is precisely why I nabbed mine at the old price while I still could.
If I hadn't done that I would be holding fire for a while and keeping my eye on the secondhand market (though that brings its own uncertainties).
As a curved ball, I do remember GT commenting that they are sometimes available secondhand in a bank of four, for jap bikes .. and maybe they could be split and the spare pair sold on to keep costs down.
Trouble is, trying to then produce your own mountings and throttle linkage for the monster could be very tricky, I reckon.

It might be worth checking the price from California Cycleworks .. I haven't recently.
Perhaps the USA Kehin price compares reasonably to the Euro Mikunis ?
Or you could try their UK distributor ... http://www.exactuk.com/

Could be that its time to sit back and wait though .. but poised and ready to pounce.
Ah .. there's a cue if ever I heard one ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVZJMtKEb68

Kato
06-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Don't get me wrong, the Mikuni's are a good carb, probably more popular than FCR in MX racing, much more built in adjustment than FCR which i guess is the reason for that, and you are not trying to squeeze every last HP out of your bike so should work well, but before you spend your hard earned, do your research, can you easily get spares, jets will be the first things needed, does your dyno guy have good knowledge of them, they are notoriusly difficult to tune and require continuous tweaking I'm not aware of a single person who's fitted them to a Ducati so your on your own if you get problems, some might relish that challenge just to be different, £400 is a decent saving but only if you don't have to spend it on getting them working properly

Kato
06-01-2017, 08:16 AM
As a curved ball, I do remember GT commenting that they are sometimes available secondhand in a bank of four, for jap bikes .. and maybe they could be split and the spare pair sold on to keep costs down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVZJMtKEb68

You mean like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/keihin-fcr41-flat-side-carbs-kawasaki-zzr1100-/152354773581?hash=item23790d5a4d:g:HEMAAOSwKOJYKHa q

Yep it can be done but you only get one set and a box of spares out of a bank of 4 carbs + its a lot of engineering making spacers, linkages, fittings etc deffiately an option if you have the time and patience

Dukedesmo
06-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Thanks Kato, is it essential that you have a choke then? Mikunis are £400 cheaper, surely there not worth that much more?

On my Monster the lack of choke is not a huge issue with the (split-single) FCRs as with a quick 'squirt' from the accelerator pumps before pushing the button will usually see it start first time.

It may run a bit rough initially until warmed but then that's true of choked carbs too - my Guzzi (Dellorto PHF carbs) needs choke to start from cold but then will bog down after a few seconds if left on choke so needs it switching off more or less straight away.

With both I find it best to let them warm a bit first or they tend to stall until the idle picks up, but with banked FCRs you can simply increase idle speed from the knob on the cable and then reduce it again later (you can also do it on split FCRs separately but then lose your idle balance unless very careful).

Of course if you're using the bike on cold winter days it may not be so user-friendly? I'm a fair-weather rider so can't comment on everyday use in winter weather.

AshM750
06-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all your replys guys, im pretty sure im gona go for a brand new set of carbs with the proper kit. I have just spoken to my local Dyno testing facility and they did reccommend the Mikuni TDMR Carbs, they also said they can get spares and tune it for me without an issue. The cost would be about £300 for set up and they will do the cambelt in that aswell(I will supply the OEM cam belt).

http://www.somerton-motorcycle-engineering.co.uk

So it should cost including set up about £1300, the thing is I really should wait for the price to come down but i am very impatiant, I will have a think over the next couple of weeks. I still got a bit to do to the bike before i make a purchase.

Im thinking of selling my soul to purchase the wheels aswell! :)

AshM750
06-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Dave at Allens Performance got back to me with some carb prices.

£1198.58 Mikuni TDMR 40s kit (In stock)

£1361.95 Keihin FCR 39s kit

Kato
06-01-2017, 02:07 PM
For me @ £163 difference, you'd be nuts not to go for the Keihin's

utopia
06-01-2017, 02:38 PM
And, I think the FCR kit includes a K&N filter, whereas the Mikuni one may not ....?

Also, I just checked the Cal Cycleworks website and they don't appear to list the Kehin kits any more.
I do know that they are distributed by Sudco .. USA.
Maybe its worth trying that route direct ..?
But obviously, you may well incur significant import duty (there is a calculator for this on the net somewhere).

Mentioning no names but I do know of a set being had secondhand for £250 a couple of years ago ... though that seemed unusually bargainly at the time.

Whatever the performance benefits, my main reason for buying them was to eliminate winter carb icing, simply because my bike does get used in all conditions and such malfunction is inexcusable/ unacceptable. (but I like carbs)
I do of course look forward very much to the other benefits but they weren't the primary concern.
If you don't do much winter riding yourself (?) it may make sense to wait for a deal to come round.

Dukedesmo
06-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Also, I just checked the Cal Cycleworks website and they don't appear to list the Kehin kits any more.
I do know that they are distributed by Sudco .. USA.
Maybe its worth trying that route direct ..?

I bought mine from 'Power Barn' in the USA; http://www.power-barn.com/ at the time they were a fair bit cheaper than Cal Cycleworks, it is also true that the £ to $ exchange rate was significantly better which meant that at around $900 IIRC I paid about £650.

AshM750
06-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Ile wait out a bit and make sure the bike gets back together and rides ok, I couldn't see any of our carbs on power barn but I will message them. The difference in price on Allen performance isn't that much, the price on eBay was about £1050(Mikuni) posted. Still a bit cheaper.

I have also been in contact with Max (Pompone) about wheels, he's said he's going send me a few quotes and different ideas. He said I will need to change my swing arm for a later one to fit a bigger wheel, he will do that for me as he's got a spare one.

Dukedesmo
06-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Ile wait out a bit and make sure the bike gets back together and rides ok, I couldn't see any of our carbs on power barn but I will message them.

I emailed Mike at Power Barn, he does the same kit as Cal Cycle which includes throttle & cables with the jetting being at least close.

He sorted me out a good deal at the time, of course now that the pound is so weak they'll cost a fair bit more than back then, and you'll probably get hit for VAT on import but they could still work out cheaper than buying local? - certainly did when I got them.

Otherwise if you're buying in the UK then Allen's performance are very good and knowledgeable plus, for me they are local so if I need a part (like a jet whilst dynoing) I can be there & back in 1/2 hour and it's a decent road for a rideout.

utopia
06-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Otherwise if you're buying in the UK then Allen's performance are very good and knowledgeable plus, for me they are local so if I need a part (like a jet whilst dynoing) I can be there & back in 1/2 hour and it's a decent road for a rideout.

There's interesting .. and possibly very handy.
I didn't realise that both Allen's and SPR at Ruddington (for dyno work) were so close to each other.

Which also prompts me to say.
Since I know Ash's bike is a keeper.
My plan is to head for the dyno once I've fitted both the carbs and my new 2-1 exhaust.
Obviously, it makes sense to have your preferred "end game" exhaust sorted before spending on a dyno set-up. ..so if you have any hankerings as far as exhaust goes, now might be the time to sort them ?
My choice is a Sil hi-level, single can .. for lightness and simplicity.
But I happen to know that Max can source a hi-level, 2-1 system. :devil:
Not that there's any reason that you shouldn't be happy with your existing system .. just saying its good to see it all as a package to get sorted, pre-dyno.

Hi, Max .. how's business ? :biggrin:

AshM750
06-01-2017, 06:14 PM
As you mention it I'm getting Cambell exhausts to make me a full custom exhaust, it will be a 2-1 system but I was going to try and keep it under the bike. It's booked in for April as that's the earliest he can do. So once I've got that it's dyno time!!!! ;)

http://www.campbellcustom.co.uk