PDA

View Full Version : Hi everybody

r44kta
21-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Hi All

I was wondering if the members here would help me decide.

I am stuck between a R Nine T (Black storm Metallic/vintage colour scheme) and a Ducati Monster 1200

Both 2017 model

I don't know which one to put my money down for.

And I can't have both.

I like to ride to work and around the town and on weekends I ride on the A and B welsh roads. (Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons).

I do not go on a track day at all and I am 6' 2".

I am test riding both bikes this saturday

Thank you all.

Dirty
21-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Well as this is a Monster forum I'm guessing everyone will be recommending the BMW :mand:

Take the test rides and follow your gut. Let us know which you decide on

Pedro
21-12-2016, 04:44 PM
The 1200 monsters are stonking bikes, I have the R and it's probably the best best road bike I've ridden in 30 years. You can pleb about at sane speeds all day if you want or wind it up for more "progress"! The motor and chassis are top notch and it's pretty comfy too. It'd be a hoot round the Brecons.

I like the R Nine a lot to look at but it'd take a lot to drag me off my 1200R.

Ped

Fat Pete
21-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Hi, If your looking at a BMW why not test ride the S1000R (160bhp). All the bike mags give it top reviews.

Darren69
21-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Really? You're asking on a Ducati Monster forum if we recommend a BMW? If you want a pretend unbiased opinion read the bike mags, they get paid to say what they like. We just like Ducatis on here.

This is just my own personal opinion but BMWs might be good on paper but are like really ugly looking things mostly, but super reliable. The 1200 Monster is no great looker either really but much nicer than the BM. Do you want looks or reliability? The Nine R is much better on performance but again are you gonna use it or need it?

The 1200R offers quality Ohlins all round similar to the Panigale, not sure about the Nine R.

Personally. if I had the kind of money available to me to buy either I wouldn't buy either , I would be looking at buying one of the small production run Ducati that would be more of an investment bike. Values are only going to go up. I missed the boat on the bevel bikes but there are loads of others.

Darren69
21-12-2016, 07:25 PM
I mean who would have thought it:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-500SL-PANTAH-1982-LOVELY-CLASSIC-/201754555364?hash=item2ef98233e4:g:o2YAAOSwA3dYV~6 R

These were rare when new, but now?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-1988-F1-750-SANTAMONICA-/192057732616?hash=item2cb7886e08:g:X2kAAOSwux5YV~a I

r44kta
21-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Really? You're asking on a Ducati Monster forum if we recommend a BMW? If you want a pretend unbiased opinion read the bike mags, they get paid to say what they like. We just like Ducatis on here.

Hoping to get an unbiased opinion before making the purchase. I have put up a similar question on the R Nine T form as well.

Will finalise after I test ride both.

Thank you.

Flip
21-12-2016, 08:25 PM
I agree with Darren to a point- if I had that kind of cash to spend I don't think I would be looking at either of them too, but as far as they go- I haven't ridden them either but I think I prefer the look of the BM to the 1200.

At the end of the day though it's whatever lifts ya skirt up the most as a complete package- I want a smile on my face the moment I open the garage door and see my bike sitting there in silence and then it to make me grin like I've knocked on a door and run away when I hit the starter.

After (almost) eighteen years of owning my '97 900 it still does all that and more.

Are you sure you don't have room for two (secondhand) bikes? One for the commute and the other to play on?

Flip
21-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Out of interest, what is it you are currently riding and what is it that's making you look at those two models?