PDA

View Full Version : Duc owner looking for a Monster

norvin998
07-12-2016, 07:01 AM
I'm looking for a good Monster 750 to 1000, one to ride rather than a project. Early styling ideally, pre '96 carby 900 or 750 my first thoughts but advice from the forum owners has made me think of later injected models too - S2R1000 for instance. I'm in the Manchester area, drop me a line with some info & pix as a pm or direct to mcgarry.mike@virgin.net

norvin998
19-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Now sorted out with a 2001 regd 900Sie, thanks for all the replies.

Mr Gazza
19-12-2016, 06:46 PM
:woot: Woo Hoo! :woot: You got it.:woot:

norvin998
19-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Yes, just getting round to cancelling the ad, updating the profile & you beat me to responding to the PMs.
Its the same model as yours by the look of it - 2000model (probably) reg'd early 2001, Black paint & all the usual S bits plus high Termis & std OE cans. It is "fruity" to the point I may looking at dB killers. Now starts the search for the bits to make it a "user". Always have a Baglux cover to take a tank bag/map case so thats a "want" to post soon. And then a centre stand. Probably hard to find but if I could find one that fitted I can replicate a few.
Very pleased so far, insured from tomorrow :)

Dirty
19-12-2016, 07:14 PM
A centre stand! Gazza I think you've found your BFAM :mand:

norvin998
19-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Finding someone with an original accessory stand for the 900ie to copy would be the starting point and convincing them to lend it out the next hurdle. After that I've very good contacts for tube strangling, welding & fabrication plus laser cutting for any bracketry & spring winders for the return. Restoring unknown (to many) Moto Parillas where spares are virtually non existent has led me to track down people with those skills & develop some myself.

Flip
19-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Well done on finding a Monster- we need pictures of course.....

Nah not of the Monster- they're everywhere- the 'Parillas please. I bet none looked like the new ones :mand:

http://hiconsumption.com/2016/05/carbon-e-bike-by-moto-parilla/

norvin998
19-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Some pushbike nerds bought the name.... I've got a little website devoted to them. Out of date as Microsoft kindly made the programme I used to build it obsolete & I now cant update it. Any skilled webmasters out there?

www.motoparilla.co.uk

Flip
19-12-2016, 08:33 PM
They certainly are pretty little bikes- I became aware of them when I started classic racing in 2012.

Although I've never seen one raced, there were a couple paraded when I did festival of 1000 Bikes that year.

Nice pics of the racers- it's funny there are references to the Eastern Creek races as among results from various UK meetings I also have lots of result sheets from there in the paperwork for my Mach 1 that suggest it may have been raced there too but nothing conclusive to prove it. Odd they're there if it wasn't though eh?

Mr Gazza
19-12-2016, 08:46 PM
I'm really happy you got the bike norvin. If you take to it like I have to mine, you will be smitten.

Re centre stand. Yes I think every bike should be able to stand upright on it's own legs. I am fairly sure that my Ducatis are the only bikes I have owned without one.

I have tried to fit one to mine (An ST2 one). It's stacked against you I'm afraid.
On a standard bike the exhaust gets in the way and you have to grind a big lump out of each bracket. On the Sie you also have a rear mudguard extension below the swinging arm which gets in the way of the brace (okay just ditch the extension, but it's a special Sie bit).
Then you have the brake toque rod fouling the right stand leg. It must be possible to bend the leg outwards to clear then adjust the length to sit level.
At the front right had side the centre stand needs to use the same bolt holes in the crankcase that the torque rod front bracket is already using. I thought that the stand bracket could be modded to take the torque rod aswell

Unfortunately I gave up and sold my ST2 stand to another member who I understand managed to persuade it to fit a Monster... I know not how.

If you succeed I would be very interested in buying one.

Smiffyraf has a nice stand on his M1000... I think it might be an original Monster accessory?

Flip
19-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Centre stands certainly were an official accessory for the early bikes (not sure if they'll fit all the models) as there is one listed in my original 1997 Accessories catalogue that came with my bike when it was new.

norvin998
19-12-2016, 09:58 PM
That was me at Mallory! Two of us on little 175s. Mine a factory proddy racer for the MotoGiro & my pal on his road bike.

norvin998
19-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Re centre stand. Yes I think every bike should be able to stand upright on it's own legs. I am fairly sure that my Ducatis are the only bikes I have owned without one.

Smiffyraf has a nice stand on his M1000... I think it might be an original Monster accessory?

Yes, I dont get it either. Probably a generational thing. I dont have recovery - I fix stuff at the roadside, punctures are not a showstopper, oiling a chain adjusting it & checking wheel alignment are jobs which may be needed on a trip. Spinning a wheel to check for tacks/splits in the tyre, getting the front wheel out without having to have yet another paddock stand...the list goes on.

The key is getting someone to lend a stand which has the basics worked out for a similar model. I did one for my road reg'd 750 TT1 utilising the threaded holes in the cases - no frame attachments & used a Pantah stand. No exhausts/linkages in the way although the torque arm for the rear brake shared a fixing.

smiffyraf1
19-12-2016, 10:36 PM
it is useful! :) congrats on the purchase. youll never look back

Nottsbiker
20-12-2016, 11:58 AM
I've got the accessory centre stand so if you are ever passing by Nottingham you are welcome to call in and take a look at it.

Longer term it will be going on my non-S 900

norvin998
20-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks, that would be ideal. Have you ever seen it fitted to the 900?

Nottsbiker
20-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Sorry I got my bike in bits and that's where it still is even though I've been collecting stuff for the past year or more

smiffyraf1
20-12-2016, 05:41 PM
my thou is an 's' but doesnt have the extra mudguard under the swingarm. the centre stand is great and doesnt foul anywhere. I found the 's' were different as to what kit they came with and how much carbon anyway. shouldnt be an issue.

norvin998
20-12-2016, 11:39 PM
If you could post some pix of the stand up & in use that would be great & maybe details of the fixing plates & stand itself. Encouraging news that a 1000ie has one fitted.

Nottsbiker
21-12-2016, 09:14 AM
They are a bit of a bodge job tbh and come with a myriad of different ally spacers to make it fit.

I'll be off work after Thursday so if you ping me a PM Friday onwards I'll take some pics and email them to you - remind me though as I will forget

Ben

norvin998
21-12-2016, 01:25 PM
K Ben will do, thanks
Mike

Flip
21-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Here's a couple of photos from my old accessory catalogue which show the centre stand kit and in true Ducati style, the additional side stand support plate it looks like you had to buy separately if you wanted both centre and side stands.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_9131_zpscly8cgbo.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_9131_zpscly8cgbo.jpg.html)

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_9133_zpsle4vopmb.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_9133_zpsle4vopmb.jpg.html)

Of course there were plenty of other offerings at the time to help empty your wallet and turn your Monster from standard to something like this- all ready to go racing in the Italian one model series that ran back then. Ducati later put the moulds to use again making carbon bits for the S4 Challenge bikes to entice more owners to go racing.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_9137_zpsudjmc3j4.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_9137_zpsudjmc3j4.jpg.html)

norvin998
21-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Looks like the stand brackets pick up off the same points as earlier engines (where else could they?) & then extend down to move the pivot point clear of the collector. Looks like the side stand bracket uses the same points but is maybe at a different angle to allow for its positioning a bit further out?

The stand on my 900ie is at quite a steep angle when in use, think thats another job to make a "shoe" for it to raise the angle a little & take up less space in an already crowded garage.

Mr Gazza
21-12-2016, 10:33 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/pn4w1.jpg

I've borrowed a shot of Ross's recently painted engine.

The stand brackets use the rearward one of the two 10mm bolt holes in the crankcases, which the footrest hangars pick up on, and also the long through hole rearwards of that. That's what the long stud is for in the kit.
You will notice an insert on Ross's engine, in the long through hole. The 900ie also has an insert which must be removed for the long bolt/stud.
The insert normally takes a screw for a wire loop guide for the tank breather tubes.

On the left side the later type (2000 on) side stand only uses the forward one of the 10mm holes and so does not interfere with the centre stand brackets.

Your side stand is probably laying the bike over at a jaunty angle because the rear suspension has been raised by winding out the rose joints on the hoop, or by adding extenders on top of the rose joints. Your stand "shoe" should put that right.

norvin998
22-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Thanks Gary,

I'm "going through" the bike at the moment as I wait for the ownership to transfer to me at the DVLA & then allow me to tax & use it legally. Too many "scan vans" about these days to risk a run out & a subsequent fine or trip to the crusher :(

I'll look closely at the rose joints & I'm working at the back at the moment on a rusty reflector bracket & faulty no. plate light.

Its got a handy "hoop" affixed to the rear frame (pillion grab rail) which doesnt look std but is ideal for moving it about ...or getting it onto a centre stand :)

Dirty
22-12-2016, 02:01 PM
You can tax it immediately after purchase, no need to wait for docs

norvin998
22-12-2016, 05:59 PM
will try again tomorrow - wouldnt let me today for some reason. Maybe the insurance isnt showing yet?

Dirty
22-12-2016, 06:58 PM
If online fails go to post office and do it old style

norvin998
22-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Catch 22 - no documents! Judging by the weather forecast it wont be ideal weather for my first ride out on a new bike. Gives me a chance to "go through" it & find the odd job to take care of. Good excuse to get out to the garage over xmas.

Dirty
22-12-2016, 11:28 PM
The green slip, insurance and mot and you are good to go. That said I understand about the weather, not shouting 'come ride your bike' at me either!

Mr Gazza
23-12-2016, 10:54 AM
I doubt that norvin would let you ride it anyway... :chuckle::chuckle:

Dookbob
21-01-2017, 01:45 PM
ST2 moded to fit my M600 2001 carbshttp://s417.photobucket.com/user/dookbob/media/PICT1659.jpg.html

Dookbob
21-01-2017, 01:45 PM
http://s417.photobucket.com/user/dookbob/media/PICT1661.jpg.html

having trouble posting pics