PDA

View Full Version : Cumbria monster ower

Fuzzy
03-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Hi my names Kev but most know me as Fuzzy. (Bushy beard, fluffy hair)

Bought my first Ducati after a bad experience with my previous Triumph street triple. Now ride a 2016 821 in white and I have to say aside from it showing dirt like nothing else I'm loving it... 10 weeks into ownership and have put ummmm 4290 miles on it 🙈 Almost all of which have been trouble free :) it's being used daily as a commuter and for pleasure in the Lake District and is currently getting a thorough wash once a week.

Waiting on my tail tidy, carbon crank case guard, titanium rad guard and sump plug, LED load resistors so I can fit my LED indicators.

Anyway until I rode a few Ducati I didn't know why Ducatisti raved about them, now however I completely understand. There's something special about them... the way they ride, the way they feel.

Flip
04-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Welcome along and great to hear a bike having some miles put on it too (I live too close to my work to go by motorcycle) and also great to hear you're loving the Monster feeling.

Not ridden any of the new models but almost eighteen years into ownership and I love my old 900 more than ever.

Fuzzy
04-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Hi thanks, I never got the chance to ride one of the old air cooled models... from what I hear they're a riot! The 821 and 1200 are brilliant the power they produce all over the rev range is mind blowing... put it in sport with the crisp throttle response and they really come alive :) chassis are beautiful and the electronics package while you don't "need" it it's not intrusive... it just sort of wags its finger at you saying you're a very naughty boy and if you don't behave now ill flash more lights at you until you do ��

It's hard not to love the monsters... design, chassis, engine, noise... they're and assault on the senses :) have to take mine into Ducati for a check up and some
Warranty work... nothing major really just silly little things :) love it to pieces though!

Wasta
04-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Nice part of the world you live in. I spent three years in Coniston and love the roads around the Lakes if the traffic is light. Do you get up to Hartside?

Flip
04-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Yes they are an assault on the senses for sure- the only really late model Ducati I've ridden was a mate's 1098 a couple of years ago and it was mental in a not very nice way!!!

My 900 is not only air cooled but carb'd too so even less refined than the early injection models and of course coupled with Ducati's 'old signature' dry clutch. Meaning when I went out for a bimble about 8am yesterday morning as the sun was just cutting through but the roads still cold and damp anything remotely enthusiastic in third or below had the rear spinning and even with gentle throttle pulling away over railway lines or catching the paint of mini round-a-bouts had a similar effect.

Fuzzy
05-12-2016, 05:46 AM
Not yet, only moved in 4 weeks ago and it's been cold and Icy since so been commuting to and from work and having a nosey round. Love the roads though when it's not freezing I kinda enjoy blasting along the A6,through Kendal, up to the top of Kirkstone, then back through pooled bridge, over the A66, toward blencow back through Penrith and to Clifton.. about 100 miles all in all?? This weather the engines not getting warm though (sitting between 45-56c) never mind the tyres. Conniston is lovely, had a camping holiday there and it's what prompted the move from wisbekistan (Wisbech)

Yeah the 1200S I test rode in touring is just plain lazy... so stuffed it into sport and found it lifting the front every time I was exiting a corner in 3rd ad 4th... mental bike. I took the 1098 out at a local dealership when I was in Cambridgeshire... scared the crap out of me. Couldn't get it to turn in and hold the line I picked... same problem with the 848 fighter and street triple.. only thing I can think of is that they were all in Rosso Corsas.. ripped them off the triumph and it behaved like a racing whippet after.

I'm worried about protecting the exhaust and that from the salt which is really bad round here.. 2 rides and my backpack was covered in salt crystals.. by the way Rock salt really stinks when it burns on your exhaust. Any ideas???