PDA

View Full Version : Newbie m600 slough area

Neilftandy
16-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick intro as I have always loved bikes and just got my first one.... 1997 Ducati monster 600!

Looking for technical tips and advice as I want to learn and do the majority or work on my own....... is that a smart idea?!?!

Neil

Darkness
16-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of advice here, and some of it's sensible.

The m600 is a good choice as it feels and handles like a "proper" bike without being too small.

Browse the inter-web for the DesmoDue race series to get an idea of what they are capable.

Home maintenance is definitely possible, but change the cam belts every two years [regardless of mileage] and have someone else adjust the valve clearances if needed, after checking them yourself.

Hope to see you at one of the meets.

Jez900ie
22-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Your first bike - congratulations! My first bike was a Suzuki AP50, so I am impressed that you have started out on a Ducati.

I just bought bought mine a week or two ago, so you can't get tech advice from me but again welcome to the wonderful world of two wheels.

Zimbo
23-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Welcome! If you are technically at all competent then home maintenance is pretty straightforward, oil and filter changes are easy, belt changes are fairly straight forward but be sure to get the tension right as too tight belts can fail. I leave valve clearance checks to my local independent bike garage.
Enjoy the bike, they are great fun :-)

utopia
23-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Welcome to monster ownership and to the club.
Original style, aircooled monsters are one of the easiest bikes to work on in my opinion.
Remove seat, unlatch tank and prop it up and within seconds you have access to the heart of the beast.
I would echo the others' comments that valve clearance adjustment might be best left to the experts but everything else is straightforward.
My own 750 hasn't seen inside a dealer's workshop in my 10yrs of ownership ... and that has saved me a packet.
Don't rely on the std tank prop though. Not only is the rubber end likely to perish and break, causing the tank to fall but also, being one-sided, it imparts a twist which can stress the tank hinge and cause a leak .. its fairly common. Instead, prop it up from the airbox with a long piece of wood.
Also, don't lift the tank unless it has very little fuel in it, for similar reasons.

Slough eh ?
I once spent the night in a cell in Slough.

Dirty
23-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Slough eh ?
I once spent the night in a cell in Slough.

Well if you have to go to slough you may as well treat yourself and stay in the best rooms in town :running:

hatchback
23-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Welcome from a fellow M600 owner. Even though I am 6'2" the bike is surprisingly comfortable and it is slowly getting better. I met up with the DOC recently and a lovely and helpful bunch of people. Good luck and fun riding.

tomscotland
24-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Hello and I hope you have as much fun and enjoyment from your M600 as I've had in my 8 years of ownership. I have found this site to be friendly and knowledgeable and quick to reply to any technical question you might have. The bike is strong and steady and I love mine. Electrics seem to be a reason for some problems but not much and the wiring is now getting old so it's to be expected. Everything is easy to get into as said by others and once you lift the tank its all there for you. I wont ever part with mine now and it's part on my family. Enjoy your Monster :)

grunter
27-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Little know fact ukmoc was founded in slough well Burnham

Flip
27-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Little know fact ukmoc was founded in slough well Burnham

Hmmmm ...can't think who by though :D