PDA

View Full Version : M821

Wildfire
16-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Here is my mini review following a ride from Pro Twins and to work today.

Overall it feels like a Ducati and I was very surprised how much like a Monster it felt, despite the water cooled engine.

Engine: The engine is brilliant, loads of power right where you need it and when you need it, but not so angry and powerful that you feel like it wants to rip your head off. It will happily pull from 2500 in top gear, with a decent amount of pace. At low revs there is a little shunting, but nothing noticeable or that a tiny bit of clutch won’t cure. The surprising thing is that where I’d expect my old Monster to tail off the power just keeps on coming. As I’m still running it in, I haven’t explored the top of the range yet, but the torque spread is very good so far.

The rider modes seem pleasantly different, but again the Sport Mode is still very useable, with "Urban" doubling up as a wet mode. This limits the bike to 75bhp, but the bike is still happy up to motorway speeds. The throttle spring is light, but still gives feedback, whereas the clutch (now cable operated) is a revelation for a Ducati!

I would say that the engine gets hot. Very hot and even on a 4 degree day out my inner thighs were pretty warm even through GoreTex, thermal liners and base layers.

Chassis/suspension/handling: A very good mid point, you can tell this has been built as a road bike with the riding position being upright and very comfortable. Coming from my Clip-On’d and rear setted M600 it is actually a nice change, although anything at speed becomes an exercise in neck muscles/strength. The common complaint of too close pillion pegs could become a reality if I had bigger feet.

I did find I wanted more weight over the front, but it is not unduly light and the bars give good leverage and the turn in is good. Being cold, I haven’t explored the lean, but the Rosso II’s are definitely not as good as the III’s and if I hadn’t just spent all my cash I would switch to a pair of PR4’s.

The TC is nice and progressive allowing a little slide on an off-camber, damp, uphill corner without any real dramas or violent intervention.

The suspension is fairly soft and the front absorbs bumps well, perhaps a little bit too much dive on initial bite, but it firms up fairly quickly. The back is adjustable and seems balanced for the road. I suspect it may get a bit overwhelmed on the track, especially after a few sessions.

Brakes: Brakes are excellent, great power and feel from the non-radial MC, if a little sharp on initial application. IMHO I don’t think a switch to radial would give any real benefit. The rear brake does work, but has about as much feel as an anesthetised Ketamine addict. Looks good though.

Wildfire
16-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Other bits:
The switch gear is modern and odd, but I miss the tactile feedback of real switches. The Dash is pretty good, although a gear indicator or fuel gauge would have been preferable as opposed to the real time MPG etc.

The pegs are not too bad for rubber mounted items and offer good grip in the wet.

The mirrors are position nicely, fairly big without looking stupid but still vibrate quite badly at certain speeds.

The rear indicators don’t look too bad on the Evo Tech tail tidy, but the front items are massive.

It should be noted that the read mudguard really does function like the old tea tray and without it you back/bag is subject to massive spray from the rear wheel in the wet.

The headlight actually works and illuminated the road at night quite well with a pleasant white/blue light without being Xenon/HID.

The gearbox on mine is still tight and the Neutral switch is a little temperamental, and at the moment it requires a bit more force and effort than gentle nudges to get it into gear. I find the bike quite evenly geared, if a little short for my use and a quickshifter would be good when pressing on a bit.

The seat feels pretty comfortable and according to the OH, the pillion feels ok, much better than the MV (although that isn’t tough), but she has just sat on it so far.

Dirty
18-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Has it got a gear position indicator? :running:

Fat Pete
18-11-2016, 07:12 PM
I've had my 821 since the begining of September and covered about 1100 miles so far and it's still a struggle to find neutral most of the time but it has got better than when I first got it as I could never find it. I've got the Stripe so has the adjustable front suspension. I agree it would be nice to have a fuel gauge but I tend to fill up when it gets to around the 140 to 150 mark, the light comes on around 160 ish miles. I'm not to bothered with a gear indicator as you can tell what gear your in by the revs your doing. I find the fueling is pretty much spot on, even at low revs in top gear there's no real shunting and pick up is smooth. All in all it's a good bike and time will tell on how it performs reliability wise!

Pete

Fuzzy
03-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Bought my 821 early 10 weeks ago, covered 4250ish miles since all trouble free... well mostly. TPS died but was replaced in 2 hours by the dealership under warranty, OEM liscense plate hanger has lost both bolts clamping it together (not a big deal as I'm just waiting for my tail tidy) gearbox is nice and loose but 5-6/6-5 is usually results in a box full of false neutrals and gear grinding (getting it looked at on Tuesday) and the air temp sensor is just making it up as it goes... currently claiming it's 56c in the Lake District...

The review is spot on... wait until it's run in pal when you explore the upper limits of the rev range you'll be stunned to find it pulls hard all the way to the limiter.
Only time I've switched to Urban mode is in the snow and ice.. even that's not enough to over match the TC. It's a brilliant package. If you're riding at 50/60mph or are on a long run you can expect 170miles before the light comes on.

Fat Pete
04-12-2016, 12:04 PM
You may get 170 before the light comes on but it;s hard to ride at 50 to 60 mph!!!!

Fuzzy
04-12-2016, 03:28 PM
You may get 170 before the light comes on but it;s hard to ride at 50 to 60 mph!!!!

Is it?? 🙈 I just plop it in touring and let it go about its business.. you'll have to explain why it's hard to ride at 50/60 (other than the obvious with it being like a naughty child.. it just wants to mak you let loose and give it a hiding lol)

Wildfire
04-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Has it got a gear position indicator? :running:

Annoyingly no, it has air temp, real fuel economy and some other bits, but a gear indicator and fuel gauge would be more beneficial.

Fuzzy
05-12-2016, 05:51 AM
Annoyingly no, it has air temp, real fuel economy and some other bits, but a gear indicator and fuel gauge would be more beneficial.

Agree a gerposition indicator would've been useful. I constantly find myself
In 6th trying for another gear lol fuel gauge isn't a problem for me though I know what I can get to a tank at a relaxed pace as well as spirited riding but for the sake of it it would've been nice and I'd have preferred it to say the lap timer 😒

Wildfire
05-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Agree a gerposition indicator would've been useful. I constantly find myself
In 6th trying for another gear lol fuel gauge isn't a problem for me though I know what I can get to a tank at a relaxed pace as well as spirited riding but for the sake of it it would've been nice and I'd have preferred it to say the lap timer ��

Yes, I do find the bike a bit short geared to be honest. Good fun for blatting about, but for mixed use, including a bit of motorway, if could do with a bit longer gearing, but maybe that's because I am just hacking about on it at the movement and running it in.

Fuel wise I'm getting around 120 miles before the light comes on, although using the on board computer, I should get around 165 to a tank (totally dry). The light seems to come on with around 4.5 litres to go.

I have to say I have never used a lap timer on any of my bikes.

Fuzzy
05-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Yes, I do find the bike a bit short geared to be honest. Good fun for blatting about, but for mixed use, including a bit of motorway, if could do with a bit longer gearing, but maybe that's because I am just hacking about on it at the movement and running it in.

Fuel wise I'm getting around 120 miles before the light comes on, although using the on board computer, I should get around 165 to a tank (totally dry). The light seems to come on with around 4.5 litres to go.

I have to say I have never used a lap timer on any of my bikes.

Yeah on a run I can squeeze 203 miles out of 11.3l at 60-70ish the look of shock filling up at BP on the M6 must've been priceless for anyone seeing it.

I've used the lap timer on my old street triple once... and even that was accidental. Seems totally pointless even at a track given that most phones have a lap timer that works with timing sectors at most tracks if you're that serious.

Agree it is abit short geared it could've done with a little longer 6th gear but I guess drop a tooth off the rear and jobs a good one??

Sup3rman1
06-01-2017, 08:33 AM
I got my M821 Stripe 2nd of December and recently installed a Healtech gear indicator. Does the job perfectly. just a nice reminder of which gear im in.

Plugs into the Port under the seat and connect to the fuse box and done!

Fat Pete
10-01-2017, 06:23 PM
I usually fuel mine up with it on the side stand, but the other day once it was full I stood it up gave it a shake and got about another 4 lts in it, so it'll be intreasting to see how far I get before the light comes on next time!