PDA

View Full Version : Philips Racing Vision H4 Bulbs in S4RS

jezzamondo
07-11-2016, 03:59 PM
For anyone interested in these new fantastically bright group test winning bulbs (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2016-group-test) they don't fit in the S4RS headlight (they're a couple of mm longer than standard). I've managed to jam one in but suspect something will fail. Any recommendations for a replacement?

alan s4
07-11-2016, 05:14 PM
I use "not for road use" rally bulbs. You can get them in Halfords.

Mr Gazza
08-11-2016, 05:39 PM
I recently tried a Nightbreaker bulb in mine and it is an improvement on the previous glow worm, but could still be better.

I looked up Halfords Off Road Rally bulbs and they seem very affordable.
The ones I found were rated at 130/90 watts though. Is that kind of wattage okay on my old alternator?
I would be a little concerned about burning out the dip switch contacts too... Not entirely sure if the switch goes through a relay or not? If not I would wire one in for a bulb of that wattage.

Tempted to try one.

Darren69
08-11-2016, 07:43 PM
That headlight on the old monster dates back to the early '70's and I have a full xenon set up with a transformer on mine and while it is loads better and really very bright, I think its too bright really. I think it dazzles oncoming traffic as cars always flash at me. I think its the reflector and lens that let things down, because you can see it reflect off the white road signs about 1/2 a mile away but it doesn't concentrate the light where you need it at night. Also when you approach the road signs you tend to get loads of light refected back at you, which makes seeing the road even harder. The bigger the sign the worse it is.

Tosh
08-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Was thinking about a couple of those pod led's. Seem cheap enough to take a gamble on , and being led draw very little power.

Mr Gazza
10-11-2016, 05:20 PM
I've gone off the idea of using mega high wattage bulbs for the moment, and started to think about a straight swap reflector/lens unit.

I searched for "Cibie" which I had good results with on a couple of bikes way back when a 12volt conversion was a big improvement.. :chuckle:

To my surprise they are still available. I just wondered if anyone had tried one recently and could compare to the standard Monster headlamp?

Seems odd that such an old design would be better than original fitment on a y2000 bike!

Not sure that a domed lens would suit my Monster though?

Anyone tried Hella or Bosch?

DrD
10-11-2016, 05:40 PM
I have a 1977 Cibie as one of the configuration options for my Le Mans
It is actually brighter and better for night riding than the M900 headlamp.
Unfortunately wrong size, and after 12 years, I am still to do something about the M900 other than stick better bulbs in.

Mr Gazza
10-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks DrD, that's kind of what I wanted to hear.
But Monster not a standard 7" unit then?

Drumnagorrach
12-11-2016, 05:29 PM
I had a try at 100 watt headlight bulbs many years ago ,I found that they tended to be fairly yellow unless thicker wire directly off the battery, fused, via a set of relays was used ,and then just use the normal wires off the the dip switch to work the relay . The earth wire needs to be just as big as the others and again come directly off the battery
I agree totally with Darren, it is the reflector design,I too get dazzled by the damn reflective signs ,bloody impossible to see where I'm going at night in the rain .