PDA

View Full Version : Fork tube/seal protectors .. your thoughts ?

utopia
24-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Spotted these on ebay.
Useful item or useless, fussy tat ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141715208180?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now, I'm definitely not a fan of the normal varieties of strap-on trinkets, but these do serve a useful purpose in protecting the fork tubes and seals from damage.
It also occurs to me that they would enable you to keep the fork tubes spotlessly clean and therefore nice and free sliding with minimal sticktion.
Ok, that's only a small point and you'd probably not notice the difference but every little bit helps.
Easily removed for inspection and cleaning too, unlike old-style fork gaitors.
I find myself unexpectedly tempted.
Your thoughts on these would be interesting.
But I decided to flag them up anyway ... they would suit a bike used for winter commuting rather well, and it is that time of year.

slob
24-10-2016, 11:23 AM
'carbon look' yeuch!

utopia
24-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Well yeah ... and the name on them is even worse.
Perhaps not quite so bad in a cloth as in a plastic part though.
But, looking beyond that .....

Dookbob
24-10-2016, 12:22 PM
they certainly look quite neat, and obviously they would keep the crud off the fork, but do they ventilate, if they dont, then you could have a condensation problem. think I will stick with my ACF50 for now.

Kato
24-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Will quickley look very scruffy, don't realy see what purpose they serve other than to releave you of £20

Darkness
24-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Will quickley look very scruffy, don't realy see what purpose they serve other than to releave you of £20

I agree with Kato. Better to put your £20 towards getting a cheap hack for winter commuting.

DrD
24-10-2016, 04:00 PM
I use these on my winter warrior (with ACF50) to protect the leading edge against stone chips:
http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/media/catalog/product/2/7/27710-002_02_web.jpg
The M900 has the large front fender to do the same job (but I dont ride that in salty conditions any longer)

Dirty
24-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Have you bumped your head on something mate? :)

utopia
24-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Have you bumped your head on something mate? :)

No, but I can see why you ask.
I normally wouldn't have given them a second thought, were it not for a couple of related issues.
First, my winter ride is currently undergoing a moderately serious makeover, so it might not be ready for the first salt, raising the awful prospect of salting the monster for a few weeks this winter.
This bike has old school forks with rubber gaiters, btw.
Second, I've recently been messing around with modifications to a superbike front mudguard for the monster. Initially in the hope of more rigidity, but I was also pleased to note the much improved fork protection on the superbike guard compared to the std monster one ...which I'm still using cos the new one isn't finished yet, nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable.
...but I've been suckered for the fork protection now.

Once I did look more closely, I began to see how they could do a useful job in the right circumstances, like if winter commuting was unavoidable.
They needn't stay on the bike permanently, just perhaps for a few months in the winter if needs must, or even just for individual winter rides.
They're very easy to remove when not needed, or for cleaning.

But I'm not saying I like them or anything.
I just found myself seeing a bit more potential in them than I had expected, once I looked a little closer.
Their main advantage though ..... is that they are easily removable.

er .... just like my handguards. :toilet:

Dirty
24-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Well...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxhknGARGt4

:mand:

Flip
24-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Yes I agree with most here and aside from the very dodgy carbon effect and general aesthetics of them I would also be cautious about the likelihood of them keeping moisture in and causing more harm than good.

A bit like these in my opinion- sold to stop shock springs getting stone chips but also getting the full blast of any road spray that gets past the hugger etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-G-Shock-tube-10-X-11-/262683040819?hash=item3d29211c33:g:oXcAAOSwUEVYCJv Q

Wildfire
24-10-2016, 10:50 PM
I wonder if the same alllies to the R&G Shock tubes?

crust
28-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Am I missing something here?

They go over the top of the upper fork outer, ok for stopping stone chips etc but no use for protecting the seals or vulnerable chrome on the lower leg.

DrD
28-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Am I missing something here?

They go over the top of the upper fork outer, ok for stopping stone chips etc but no use for protecting the seals or vulnerable chrome on the lower leg.

If you mean this to refer to the image I posted above, they are for a non-upside down (i.e. traditional) fork set up on my 650 single.

TimM900
28-10-2016, 07:08 PM
I've not seen ones like those before, but I've used this type of seal savers for year on enduro bikes, they are great- they stop mud etc getting into your seals, and protect the chrome from stone chips too. You can buy short ones which are a more normal length - I buy long ones & cut them in half, as I use them on a few bikes & that saves a couple of quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RM250-RM-250-1996-2010-Neoprene-Fork-Socks-MX-Seal-Savers-Gaitors-Covers-/321686473739?hash=item4ae6020c0b:g:jbEAAOxyKh5R9~8 U