PDA

View Full Version : I thought I would restore this just for the hell of it

Dookbob
21-10-2016, 06:11 PM
this should keep me busy till the next Monster comes along.http://s417.photobucket.com/user/dookbob/media/PICT1742.jpg.htmlhttp://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/dookbob/PICT1742.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/dookbob/media/PICT1742.jpg.html)

Dookbob
21-10-2016, 06:17 PM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/dookbob/PICT1744.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/dookbob/media/PICT1744.jpg.html)

Dookbob
21-10-2016, 06:20 PM
is it possible to post photos straight from an Ipad onto this forum? I do have all kinds of problems using Photo bucket

RossObey01
21-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately not, they have to be hosted somewhere. Easier alternative is to download the Photo bucket app, should make things a bit smoother.

Dookbob
21-10-2016, 07:13 PM
thanks , I will try that.

Dirty
21-10-2016, 09:33 PM
is it possible to post photos straight from an Ipad onto this forum? I do have all kinds of problems using Photo bucket

Try postimg.org

Dookbob
22-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Testinghttp://https://s20.postimg.org/sqssdwm2l/IMG_0050.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/gc60dkuk9/)hosting image (https://postimage.org/)

slob
22-10-2016, 11:35 AM
https://s20.postimg.org/sqssdwm2l/IMG_0050.jpg

if you hit 'quote' you should see how the image (IMG) tags work

Mr Gazza
22-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Okay, very nice so far.

I'm thinking I'm fairly safe with saying it's a Ducati Single Circa 1970, give or take.

What capacity I couldn't say, but plumping for 250.

The curved frame rails at the bottom of the saddle tubes/rear brace are throwing me at the moment. Is this a home brewed mod? Definitely something I've not seen before.

I'm hoping it's a 450 Scrambler... :biggrin:

utopia
22-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Can't recognise the bike at all, myself.
I do recognise a well engineered workbench/bikestand when I see one though.
None of your fancy looking mortice and tenon joints ... triangulation at the corners is the strong way to do it. :thumbsup:

As usual, I'm expecting a first class result.
I still harbour a slight, lingering regret that I didn't buy your last monster resto .. the one with my old tank on it.
....cos my eldest lad is muttering about getting a bike.

Mr Gazza
22-10-2016, 01:10 PM
A quick bit of flimsy research suggests that the curved rail was added to stiffen the frames for 450 motors. At the factory and also by home builders hopping up the engine.

The rail also appears on later 350 and 250s including the lovely 250 Desmo Circa 1974

Seems like they stiffened the frame for the 450 and then kept it as a standard feature across the range.

Later still frames featured tubes bent in one piece, so eliminating the "add in"

So the curved rail doesn't define it as a 450 but it narrows it down (450s were often red too).... Perhaps not a Scrambler with road tyres though?.

When can we stop guessing?..:mand:

Dukedesmo
22-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Okay, very nice so far.

I'm thinking I'm fairly safe with saying it's a Ducati Single Circa 1970, give or take.

What capacity I couldn't say, but plumping for 250.

The curved frame rails at the bottom of the saddle tubes/rear brace are throwing me at the moment. Is this a home brewed mod? Definitely something I've not seen before.

I'm hoping it's a 450 Scrambler... :biggrin:

It does look like an old single. I had a '68 narrow-case Scrambler 250 and it does look remarkably similar, I believe the frame was common to all capacities and that even the Mk1, 2, 3 etc. were very similar.

Here's a pic of mine, not the highest quality but you can see the frame shape;

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/data/photos/l/2/2185-1380571968-bc20fc5c4d5d6be5fde652ad81114dc6.jpg

Dookbob
22-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Mr Gazza got very close with the dating, it is in fact a 1969 and the engine is the 250 version, the frame has not been modified. This bike is one of the " Made in Spain "variety, but the only things I have found so far that differ from the " Italian Job " are the tail light fitting and the rear brake cable/stop light switch set up. Not sure what the front forks are, I think they are Marzocci, but there are no markings on them at all. It,s a wide case engine so it would be one of the very early ones. The Spanish described the bike as " a mainly Road going scrambler ", hence the tyre choice, because I won't be scrambling with it. It was originally black and yellow, but after much deliberation I decided on red and red.
To Utopia, I still have the M600 with your old tank on it, but like your 750 it,s a keeper ( Well, for now anyway )
To Slob, I feel a bit of a wally now you have posted the photo that I failed to post, but thanks for the help, I will try and get the hang of it once more. I have posted lots of photos on here as some of you know without any trouble at all. It,s Photobucket that are getting too smart with all the bells and whistles crap that they are into nowadays.

Dookbob
22-10-2016, 02:29 PM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/dookbob/PICT1670.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/dookbob/media/PICT1670.jpg.html)
did I get it??
got it but I dont know how, thats just what I did when it failed

Dookbob
22-10-2016, 02:33 PM
just to make sure.http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/dookbob/PICT1668.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/dookbob/media/PICT1668.jpg.html)

TimM900
22-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Loosk a good project, I did up a 160 single years ago and that was fun to ride. I was a bit confused for a minute there, your photobucket photos show a v-twin engine... wonder if it would fit...

Mr Gazza
22-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the info Dookbob.
Black and Yellow is my favourite combo for the early bikes, especially on the 750GT.
It will look smashing in Red though.

Forks wouldn't be Ceriani would they?

Dookbob
22-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Don't think they are Ceriani, I have a diagram for those and mine are nothing like them. Apparently there were three different forks used at different stages of production, ceriani, Marzocci and Ducati,s own version. I have three different manuals for these bikes and my forks are not illustrated in any of them. Even the oil seals that all the classic parts suppliers sell won't fit, I had to source a pair from a general engineering company for a pair that fit.
All the other forks have two seals in each leg, mine only have one. I,m thinking now that maybe the Spanish used a different brand of fork than all the others, hence the difference in mine, so it,s going to be interesting to see how they handle.

MerlinPV12
22-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Great, a Dookbob restoration to see me through the winter, looking forward to the updates and the finished bike, which will no doubt be of the highest standard.

Flip
23-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Don't think they are Ceriani, I have a diagram for those and mine are nothing like them. Apparently there were three different forks used at different stages of production, ceriani, Marzocci and Ducati,s own version. I have three different manuals for these bikes and my forks are not illustrated in any of them. Even the oil seals that all the classic parts suppliers sell won't fit, I had to source a pair from a general engineering company for a pair that fit.
All the other forks have two seals in each leg, mine only have one. I,m thinking now that maybe the Spanish used a different brand of fork than all the others, hence the difference in mine, so it,s going to be interesting to see how they handle.

That's looking lovely- as you know I am a big fan of the little singles and if I can help then please just ask.

Certainly the forks don't look like Ceriani to me and they're not like the Marzocchis that are fitted to my little racer and the yokes look very different to the ones used for either of those too (Each brand of forks uses the same brand of yoke from all that I have ever seen- even the scrapers are different between them too).

As for the seals, you are right about them using two seals in each leg but from the information I have from the various 'single Gurus' the reason was simply that the material used back then was a bit rubbish and was done simply to stop them leaking so frequently.

Of course there is nothing wrong in continuing fitting two (other than perhaps the effect of 'stiction' that using two sets may create) but you can buy seals that come with an aluminium spacer to take up the difference of the second seal which is obviously reusuable when it comes to replacement.

What diameter forks do you have fitted?

Very early Widecase bikes (which yours may be) used 31.5mm rather than the later 35mm.

Also to throw another into the mix the early 125 /175cc bikes used 30mm forks.

When I got Maxton to do the conversion of my Marzocchi forks I kept the internals so I can take photos (or anything else but my bikes is not very original now) for comparison if needed.

Mr Gazza
23-10-2016, 09:13 AM
emzedder has a Spanish 250... He'll be along soon... :thumbsup:

Flip
23-10-2016, 09:22 AM
emzedder has a Spanish 250... He'll be along soon... :thumbsup:

Yep!! I forgot about that and I'm sure he will too.

Although his Motorans 250 is a Narrowcase like mine and pretty sure it has Marzocchi forks fitted.

Dookbob
23-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your comments Flip, it,s useful to know that I have a source of info whilst I am on my learning curve with this 250 single. My forks are 35mm and apart from the mudguard brackets being cracked at the welds they were in a surprisingly good condition. Replacing the seals is the easiest seal swap I have ever encountered on any bike. These seal holders were never made to take two seals ( or one seal and a spacer even) . There is only room in the rebate for one 7.5mm deep seal followed by the circlip. All the new seals stocked by the spares people are of 47mm outside diameter, mine are 45mm which is what makes me think that these are Spanish forks. The previous owner had fitted the seal correctly and then glued another seal on top of it, this was all lurking under the dust cover, what a mess it was too. The yokes are original and have never previously been stripped, the ball bearings were worn half way through. There was no steering damper on the bike when I got it, but once I get a good look at one. Or can get an accurate diagram of one, I will make one, the friction plates are still available.
Thanks for taking an interest in my resto Flip, the next nightmare will start when I strip the engine.

Flip
23-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Oh and just to add a little more confusion to the mix- it appears Narrow case Marrzocchi yokes are different to Wide case ones and Ceriani as far as I can see are the same.

How odd.... but that's not only Ducati but 'early' Ducati!!

It's all good fun and if it's anything like mine you'll keep on learning.

Who are you using for parts and information etc?

emzedder
23-10-2016, 12:02 PM
I made the mistake of thinking publications are always correct. Depending upon year some models share very few parts with their Italian manufactured cousin. Trying to source parts for my '71 250 24 Horas 5 speed with a particularly close ratio box has been problematic to say the least and some I am having to have made or fabricated from other parts should I need them, engine internals are not compatible in many respects - but you probably know that. I'm in contact with guys in States, Holland , Spain, Italy and my particular model was such a short run parts are very rare.

I have an original Spanish language maintenance / owner book that I can copy if that helps ... with a bit of help from Google Translate might be useful.

I have the original buff logbook and Vic Camp himself is the first registered owner ...first customer owner changed a year later so maybe a demonstrator before he fell out with the Spanish and withdrew.

Dookbob
23-10-2016, 02:26 PM
To Flip:- So far I have obtained parts from "Classic Ducati". and "Lacey ". So far I have only bought what are the usual service items, i.e. Bearings, oil seals, sprockets and chain etc. No doubt this will escalate once I start on the motor.
To Emzedder:- Interesting to learn of your experience with your 250. My bike has the 5 speed box too, I,m hoping that there won,t be much in the way of replacement parts needed though. It has had a hard life as you would expect from a scrambler, but I don,t
think it is a high mileage bike, it has only had one first stage ( 0.4mm ) rebore in it,s 47 years. Thanks for the offer of a copy of your Spanish manual, I would really appreciate that.

Dukedesmo
23-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the offer of a copy of your Spanish manual, I would really appreciate that.

Found an English language owners manual for the Ducati 350 Scrambler, as with most Ducati models the 250, 350 & 450 engines were the same basic design so it might be of use?

Let me know if you'd like it and I'll email or upload it somewhere for you to download.

emzedder
23-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Lacey and Classic Ducati are very good for service parts but limited on assistance with Spanish parts. I have a list of contacts if you ever need them, there is a guy in France that ahs contact with Italy but you have to visit the French EBay site to make contact. Kickstart quadrant and mating gear are totally unobtainable second hand and these are the Achilles heel for singles damaged by kickback. So lesson is (a) make sure ignition is spot on and (b) always fit decompressor if not fitted to avoid possibility and (c) ensure mixture not too weak. Parts are really hard to come by, I use mine and gets a hard time- as they should - most are in collections.

Dookbob
24-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Found an English language owners manual for the Ducati 350 Scrambler, as with most Ducati models the 250, 350 & 450 engines were the same basic design so it might be of use?

Let me know if you'd like it and I'll email or upload it somewhere for you to download.

Thanks very much for the offer Dukedesmo, but I have a Clymer manual that covers those, it,s just that my forks are not covered by it. I,m only assuming that my bike is a Spanish manufactured version because it was imported into the UK from Zarragoza. the Spanish owner could have imported it from anywhere I suppose. I wonder is there anything included in the chassis number that might indicate where it was built. the number starts off with DM250S, I assumed that the S refers to the fact that it is a scrambler, but that is only a guess on my part.

Dookbob
24-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Lacey and Classic Ducati are very good for service parts but limited on assistance with Spanish parts. I have a list of contacts if you ever need them, there is a guy in France that ahs contact with Italy but you have to visit the French EBay site to make contact. Kickstart quadrant and mating gear are totally unobtainable second hand and these are the Achilles heel for singles damaged by kickback. So lesson is (a) make sure ignition is spot on and (b) always fit decompressor if not fitted to avoid possibility and (c) ensure mixture not too weak. Parts are really hard to come by, I use mine and gets a hard time- as they should - most are in collections.

I will keep in mind the fact that you have some contacts in Europe for Spanish parts if I need to obtain any. My kick start seemed ok when I used it a couple of times before stripping the bike, but thanks for the heads up on it,s possible weakness under kickback conditions. It doesn,t have a decompressor fitted currently, so I must look into fitting one if it,s at all possible when I come to rebuild the engine. Would you know wether or not it is possible to clean out the centrifugal sludge trap in the crank without removing the crank from it,s cases. I have had the plug out to take a look, and it definitely needs doing one way or another. If I have to renew the big end needle roller then it will be out anyway of course, but it was just a thought.
My apologies to our Monster owners for hijacking the thread space on here, I did look at some other forums, but they dont seem to have the knowledge base that this forum has, and as you all know , the UKMOC has a comraderie that is second to none.

utopia
24-10-2016, 01:49 PM
My apologies to our Monster owners for hijacking the thread space on here, I did look at some other forums, but they dont seem to have the knowledge base that this forum has, and as you all know , the UKMOC has a comraderie that is second to none.

No need to apologise.
We all like a Dookbob build thread.
It is a classic Ducati after all.
And its not the only (well received), non-monster build thread on the forum.
Tbh, I was teetering on the brink of posting some details of my Honda Dominator street scrambler conversion.
And that's not even Italian ..... though it is the essential winter companion to monster ownership.
And oddly, the frame plate says "made in Italy", which made me smile.
And I've fitted an Italian GPR exhaust, complete with tricolore badge.
And I've fitted monster indicators.
Very nearly fitted a monster curvy teatray too.
This Italian thing is catching ... I even drink more coffee these days.
But I digress.

Darkness
24-10-2016, 01:58 PM

No apology needed: this isn't the Monster riders club, nor the Monster information Exchange. It's the Monster Owners' Club, so as a forum to exchange news and views between past and present Monster owners. Rebuilding historic Ducatis including singles and superbikes as well as the odd Guzzi is clearly of interest. The number of replies and reads of such threads proves it.

Dukedesmo
24-10-2016, 05:22 PM
No apologies indeed, I for one am very interested as a former Scrambler owner, I always thought the Monster was Scrambleresque in ways anyway.

As for the decompressor I don't think 250s were ever fitted with it, 450s definitely and I think also the 350.

I wish I'd kept mine, I gave it away after the big end went as I was moving house and couldn't be bothered to fix it... :(

emzedder
24-10-2016, 06:17 PM
I will keep in mind the fact that you have some contacts in Europe for Spanish parts if I need to obtain any. My kick start seemed ok when I used it a couple of times before stripping the bike, but thanks for the heads up on it,s possible weakness under kickback conditions. It doesn,t have a decompressor fitted currently, so I must look into fitting one if it,s at all possible when I come to rebuild the engine. Would you know wether or not it is possible to clean out the centrifugal sludge trap in the crank without removing the crank from it,s cases. I have had the plug out to take a look, and it definitely needs doing one way or another. If I have to renew the big end needle roller then it will be out anyway of course, but it was just a thought.
Unfortunately sludge is a unit strip as far as I am aware.
The decompressor is a plunger in the rocker cover, you often see the casting blank. They are about on eBay occasionally. Classic Ducati do the lever units.
The singles give a unique ride. You probably know that bevel meshing is a work of art and crank end float critical to these.

Albie
24-10-2016, 08:49 PM
I for sure enjoy any classic rebuild on here Ducati or not. Having 2 500 singles and a 400 too of Japanese variety I love the riding of them. On the 500 they have a decompressor and the 400 technically it does too but is controlled by a cable on the kickstart which lift the valve at the correct time. I do remember my brother fitted some kind of sparkplug fitting decompressor on his 1974 Suzuki TS250M scrambler back in the day. Not sure it needed it really but guess it may have decent compression.

Flip
24-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Firstly, I am loving this thread already and know it will only get better!!

Unfortunately sludge is a unit strip as far as I am aware.
The decompressor is a plunger in the rocker cover, you often see the casting blank. They are about on eBay occasionally. Classic Ducati do the lever units.
The singles give a unique ride. You probably know that bevel meshing is a work of art and crank end float critical to these.

Yes as far as I know as well it needs to be a complete strip for the sludge trap.

Never heard of a decompressor on a 250 or of the damage to the kickstart mech as a result of kickback but then again mine doesn't have one and usually starts within a few feet of paddling it along while sitting on it (although I prefer to get a push start).

Surely if you get it on the compression stroke it's not too much of a problem is it?

I can fire mine up like that while it's up on a stand with a flick of the rear wheel.

Anyway, back to crank end float- I'm sure it'll be lots of fun!!! This is quite a good read if you've not already seen it:
http://www.motoscrubs.com/Duc_Technical.htm

Flip
24-10-2016, 10:12 PM
It will look smashing in Red though.

Yes indeed it will (but I may be a little biased on that one) as well as upsetting the purists out there as they never had red frames!!

My forks are 35mm and apart from the mudguard brackets being cracked at the welds they were in a surprisingly good condition. These seal holders were never made to take two seals ( or one seal and a spacer even) . There is only room in the rebate for one 7.5mm deep seal followed by the circlip. All the new seals stocked by the spares people are of 47mm outside diameter, mine are 45mm which is what makes me think that these are Spanish forks.

There was no steering damper on the bike when I got it, but once I get a good look at one. Or can get an accurate diagram of one, I will make one, the friction plates are still available.

Yes maybe you are right and your forks are either another make or just for the Spanish build bikes. I will ask one of my racing buddies whose been building and racing singles for years and have stockpiles of parts 'just in case'.

These are the seals fitted to mine:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_8731_zpsutwmpveh.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_8731_zpsutwmpveh.jpg.html)

This little lot came out of the forks when Maxton reworked them with their GP20 cartridge conversion:
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_8734_zpsf9xw90sw.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_8734_zpsf9xw90sw.jpg.html)

And the springs, with an almost 'progressive' coil arrangement and 450mm long:
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_8739_zps82llk3sh.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_8739_zps82llk3sh.jpg.html)

As for a steering damper, again mine doesn't have one and I've never felt the need for it while racing (and I have my forks pulled through the yokes quite a lot) but those that do run with them are of the usual along the frame type which obviously are not of the original design as the stem nut is used to locate the fairing brace on race bikes.

Flip
24-10-2016, 10:30 PM
I have a Clymer manual that covers those, it,s just that my forks are not covered by it.

I have these manuals if ever there is anything you want me to check through- in typically Italian style the vary a bit and the translation is a bit dodgy in places along with their idea of torque settings (they quote things like 'tighten moderately'). Am happy to scan and email as and when if you wish though.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_8743_zpsz5sfmutn.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_8743_zpsz5sfmutn.jpg.html)

I wonder is there anything included in the chassis number that might indicate where it was built. the number starts off with DM250S, I assumed that the S refers to the fact that it is a scrambler, but that is only a guess on my part.

Not likely, they seem to be all over the place without any real designating letters although I would think the S was intended to identify the Scrambler but in reality all the frames are similar apart from their age (and being either Narrow or Wide case of course).

Here is a database of such:

http://bevelheaven.com/data-single.htm

You could always give Pietro a ring and see if he can shed any more light- his shop is a few miles up the road from me and is a kind of eccentric mix of living room (complete with sideboards used for parts display and a working Grandfather clock), workshop and
some of the most beautiful Italian two wheelers I have never heard of along with many I have:

http://www.dimarino.co.uk/

Mr Gazza
24-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Have a good look at the float bowl cover on the Amal carb and see if there is a clue there as to it's Spanish origins.

Flip
24-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Have a good look at the float bowl cover on the Amal carb and see if there is a clue there as to it's Spanish origins.

I think the only Spanish made ones were these for the 24 Horas:
http://amalcarb.co.uk/carburettor-for-a-ducati-mototrans-240-horas.html

Flip
24-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Okay, I think we may have got somewhere on 'those' forks.....

I won't cue the drum roll yet but reading through some saved links from researching Ducati singles when I was looking I found this article mentioning a Spanish manufacturer called Telesco (they don't mention whether they are Value or Finest though :chuckle:)

Enjoy the read and hopefully some more enlightenment.

Part one here:
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/ducati05071300.html

Part two:
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/ducati05072700.html

So then a quick eBay search and these turn up which look remarkably like those on your bike:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Telesco-35MM-Front-Forks-Triple-Trees-920-/172381657820?hash=item2822bf5adc:g:y9AAAOSwXeJYCQK g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-FRONT-FORKS-TELESCO-/291750785377?hash=item43edb3b161:g:FD0AAOSwxCxT2W1 x

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-FRONT-FORK-TELESCO-/301716714319?hash=item463fb7b34f:g:Ye8AAOxyc2pTZRY r

Dookbob
25-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Fair play to you Flip, you came up with the goods on this one. My forks and yokes are definitely Telesco, which explains the 45mm o.d. On the fork seals. I have,nt looked at the carb yet, but it is an Amal which I thought was just a later mod, but once I have had a good look it might be one of the 24 Horas Spanish made ones. Thanks again guys, you are really speeding up my learning curve, and I am liking the bike more, now that it is turning out to be so interesting.

emzedder
25-10-2016, 08:04 PM
I think the only Spanish made ones were these for the 24 Horas:
http://amalcarb.co.uk/carburettor-for-a-ducati-mototrans-240-horas.html
My 24 Horas has a Spanish made Amal monobloc. the bodies warp especially easily if the nuts are nipped up unevenly !

emzedder
25-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Firstly, I am loving this thread already and know it will only get better!!

Yes as far as I know as well it needs to be a complete strip for the sludge trap.

Never heard of a decompressor on a 250 or of the damage to the kickstart mech as a result of kickback but then again mine doesn't have one and usually starts within a few feet of paddling it along while sitting on it (although I prefer to get a push start).

Surely if you get it on the compression stroke it's not too much of a problem is it?

I can fire mine up like that while it's up on a stand with a flick of the rear wheel.

Anyway, back to crank end float- I'm sure it'll be lots of fun!!! This is quite a good read if you've not already seen it:
http://www.motoscrubs.com/Duc_Technical.htm
This is example of a small kickstart gear tooth chip that gradually worsens and then goes pop ....

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/emzedder1/gr.jpg

Flip
26-10-2016, 04:29 PM
This is example of a small kickstart gear tooth chip that gradually worsens and then goes pop ....

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/emzedder1/gr.jpg

OUCH!
Point taken- my only experience of these bikes is of my little racer and that had all the kick start and charging parts removed back in it's distant past- It has been a race bike most (if not all) of it's life.

I know this relates directly to the 24 Horas bikes and therefore Narrowcase frame and motor it is very much relevant to the Spanish made Mototrans and if perhaps one of the best photo restorations I have seen on a Bevel drive single- Google Translate will be your friend :chuckle:

http://ducati25024horas.blogspot.co.uk/

The article on the motor is well worth looking at to see what goes on in there:

http://ducati25024horas.blogspot.co.uk/p/restauracion-del-motor.html

emzedder
26-10-2016, 06:47 PM
I have considered adapting the bike more for track use, I have done Classic Trackdays on my MZ and TA125 rep in UK and really enjoyed it. The little Duke would be great for that. Some friends of mine do French classic events that are very accommodating for this type of class ... and more liberal noise control (what was Euro harmonisation all about?).

I'm over 6' 2" (imperial measurements) so big for a tiny 250 but hey, who cares ... I was doing same 40 years ago!

Dookbob
26-10-2016, 07:00 PM
OUCH!
Point taken- my only experience of these bikes is of my little racer and that had all the kick start and charging parts removed back in it's distant past- It has been a race bike most (if not all) of it's life.

I know this relates directly to the 24 Horas bikes and therefore Narrowcase frame and motor it is very much relevant to the Spanish made Mototrans and if perhaps one of the best photo restorations I have seen on a Bevel drive single- Google Translate will be your friend :chuckle:

http://ducati25024horas.blogspot.co.uk/

The article on the motor is well worth looking at to see what goes on in there:

http://ducati25024horas.blogspot.co.uk/p/restauracion-del-motor.html

Thanks for the engine rebuild file Flip, I have put it on a CD for future reference. Mine is a wide case of course, but I,m sure that most of it will be relevant, and luckily I can get by in Spanish.

Dookbob
12-02-2017, 04:07 PM
got the lump back inhttps://s20.postimg.org/ghujc494t/IMG_0019.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/9re22olyx/)free upload image (https://postimage.org/)