PDA

View Full Version : Engine crankcase touch up paint

Dave G
18-10-2016, 04:06 PM
I tried a search but didn't come up with anything useful, so,..

I'm looking for a decent match for the light /silver flecked grey colour of later crankcases, both my S2R and SC have a similar colour, dont need an aerosol, just a small pot that I can use with an artist brush to stop some of the current peeling bits from getting too much worse.

I've tried contacting RS paints but get no reply, looked on ebay etc and can only find the dark colour used on earlier engines, I've also tried hammerite smoothrite but thats way too silvery, I know I'll never get a perfect match but I would like one that matched the stock colour properly.

If I cant find anything decent then I'll need to mix my own using the smoothrite as a base but I'd much prefer a better start colour.

What have you found then?

utopia
18-10-2016, 04:23 PM
I've done touch-ups on my Dominator and have mixed silver and black smoothrite to a decent match... to about three different shades of silver.
However, while earlier formulations claimed the colours were mixable, later ones aren't .. and the change was ages ago.
Its still kinda works for brushing though, in an out of the way spot, but it doesn't mix properly and leaves exaggerated brush strokes if you're not careful.
That said, it did a decent cover up of some patches that I put over rust holes in the (very dark silver) fuel tank, and from a distance you can't tell.

I have also been very pleased with an aerosol from RS to match the bronze/gold wheel colour on the monster, so I would fancy their brushing silver is decent.
Its been tough as boots on my (dinged and straightened) front wheel.
Might be worth persisting with them.