PDA

View Full Version : Just nabbed some FCR39s

utopia
16-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Well, it was a no brainer.
They used to be available from Holland for around £850 but, presumably due to brexit, the price has now risen to £1050.
However, there was still just one pair listed at the old price.
Then I remembered that my son had mentioned that he had an ebay discount option for purchases over £200.
I remembered it as 5% or maybe 10%, but it turned out to be 15%.
That means £750, instead of £1050 ... I told you it was a no brainer.
I just nabbed the last pair by the skin of my teeth.
Yippity dippity doo dah day.

And timely too, as last sunday I experienced the first glimmer of carb icing this winter.
I have reason to hope that this will be a thing of the past with the FCRs

So.
This year alone, I have spent more in mods than the current market value of my M750.
In fact, most of this was at discount rates .. full price would have totalled twice the bike's market value.
But what do I care for market forces ?

Right ... just off to do a little dance then. :mand:

Dukedesmo
16-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Nice one :thumbsup:

Nickj
16-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Hope that's a happy utopia rather than a dad dance!

Mr Gazza
16-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Te he... Well done mate.

I too am dancing. I'm just back from a ride and happy to have cured the little problem that I had on the ride out with you last weekend.

Total outlay £17.99... :D

Mark64
16-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Congratulations, you will enjoy them soooooo much, look forward to an amazing power delivery and a pair of budgies copulating underneath your petrol tank!!!
Have lots of fun mate��

Grumpy
16-10-2016, 09:00 PM
More shiny bits!
Can't wait to see them on the old girl :D

Dukedesmo
16-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Once you've fitted them, I'd recommend getting it to the dyno to check the fuelling - regardless of it being a 'kit' for the 750 etc. it may need more/less fuel at certain engine speeds and to not sort it might cause problems.

I'd highly recommend SPR in Ruddington for the setup, they know their stuff and are sensibly priced.

Also whilst many things are adjustable on FCRs, you may need to up/down jet sizes, in which case you can get all Keihin parts from Allens performance in Bingham.

utopia
16-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Yes, that was exactly my plan, and I had noted SPR after previous recommendations from both yourself and others.
I will definitely be expecting to need a dyno set up as I plan to fit the FCRs at the same time as fitting a big bore, Sil-Moto, single-can, hi-level exhaust that I acquired a while ago.
Its a bit battered though, and was originally for a 900, so it needs some work first....but it'll be worth it.

I also plan to at least try and fit them with a single cable throttle, but this will be with banked carbs rather than individuals, so not quite the same as your arrangement.
But for the same reason, ie to get use a 996 twistgrip with the fast idle button, which I bought a while back in anticipation.
The carbs come as a kit with a twin cable twistgrip though, so I have a guaranteed-to-work default option.

Thanks for all the comments.
It was a hoppy kind of dance .. more peter pan than dad, I suppose.
And whaddyamean "old girl" ... she's just turned sixteen. ;)

Dukedesmo
17-10-2016, 07:36 AM
I also plan to at least try and fit them with a single cable throttle, but this will be with banked carbs rather than individuals, so not quite the same as your arrangement.
But for the same reason, ie to get use a 996 twistgrip with the fast idle button, which I bought a while back in anticipation.

Mine, being split single carbs had a 2 cable to 4 cable setup (2 opener/2 closer) but I modified it to use a single cable with a 2 way split for the openers and did away with the closer cables as the springs are more than strong enough IMO.

I have a 916 twistgrip on mine which gives a fast-idle position, the only downside is that it has a very short action meaning you get full throttle very quickly and so a bit on/off.

To counter this I recently fitted a 'throttle tamer' which is a replacement throttle tube (billet aluminium!) with a more progressive cam that makes it more controllable at smaller throttle openings and this is a big improvement making it is just about perfect. :thumbsup:

Dirty
17-10-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm imagining it was this sort of dance :)

https://youtu.be/1W3sslyiUfg

utopia
17-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info, Tim.
Good stuff, as usual.
I certainly don't want a fast action throttle, particularly at the bottom end.
I'll see how things work out, but am now primed to look out for issues there ....ta.
Maybe there is an option to modify the throttle linkage on my banked carbs, rather than the throttle tube (though I guess that would change the ratio right through the range, whereas a little slower at the bottom may be all that's needed).
We'll see.

As for the dance, in my mind's eye it was probably a little more like this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcnQQuxDv8

Kato
17-10-2016, 12:42 PM
If you want them really smooth and even more responsive fit one of these
https://www.boyesen.com/quickshot-3-mx, or for split carbs Tim you need 2

As for the dance well i saw the phrase old girl I had a vision of this
https://youtu.be/9na-PH4kOFU?t=1m00s

Dukedesmo
17-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Maybe there is an option to modify the throttle linkage on my banked carbs, rather than the throttle tube (though I guess that would change the ratio right through the range, whereas a little slower at the bottom may be all that's needed).
We'll see.

As far as I know the banked carbs should only have the one cable attachment on one carb due to them being linked?

If so and if it is like that on the split carbs (I think it is) then the cam is a pressed steel wheel with both opening and closing cable fittings so you can easily not use the closer.

I'm not sure if the banked carbs have 2 sets of return springs or one? either way I'll bet there's plenty of strength in it so closer not required (I'm led to believe they were added to avoid any litigation in the US, should anyone crash because a carb didn't close?), neither of my other bikes have any throttle closing cable.

The throttle cam on the 'tamer' is machined alloy and a direct replacement for the OEM plastic piece, I did consider attempting to modify said OEM throttle, which maybe possible. Alternatively a resourceful man with a lathe might be able to make something for either the twistgrip or the carb end cam? ;)

If you want to see/measure/weigh/try how mine works before jumping in to changing throttle ratios etc. you're more than welcome. :thumbsup:

Dirty
17-10-2016, 04:32 PM

But in reality like this? :chuckle:

https://youtu.be/RUaYbfKZIiA

Grumpy
17-10-2016, 04:48 PM
But in reality like this? :chuckle:

https://youtu.be/RUaYbfKZIiA

The funny thing is, can see Geff doing this in his in his kitchen!!:mand:

Dirty
17-10-2016, 05:01 PM
The funny thing is, can see Geff doing this in his in his kitchen!!:mand:

Why not, I do. It's one of those terrible earworms, welcome to the rest of your life humming this involuntarily :)

Nickj
17-10-2016, 05:58 PM

I think that you are going to have to demo this at the next opportunity .. I'd pay to watch that ;)

Darren69
17-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Yea, me too. the scary Gerry Anderson puppet like, La la la guy but singing his song about his monster instead. That's too surreal. I'm going to retire, on that bombshell, I think.

utopia
17-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Steady on now.
You'll be giving me a phobia about these carbs.

On watching the Nils video, I realise that he does do exactly the dance in question, just for a second or two in the middle somewhere .. the hoppy, skippy thing on the railway line.
So now you know, and can banish any competing images.
Its much more of a Nils type song (than a Herman Munster one) anyway ...
Although, you shouldn't give me ideas that might come back to haunt you ... the weekender could use a cabaret.

The Quickshot looks intriguing, Kato.
Noted for later, and ta.

Dukedesmo
17-10-2016, 09:38 PM
The Quickshot looks intriguing, Kato.

Am I being thick, but I'm still trying to work out exactly what it's for?

Dirty
18-10-2016, 01:20 AM
Steady on now.
You'll be giving me a phobia about these carbs.

On watching the Nils video, I realise that he does do exactly the dance in question, just for a second or two in the middle somewhere .. the hoppy, skippy thing on the railway line.
So now you know, and can banish any competing images.

Ah, so like this then! :D :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSP6AHhLc80

Kato
18-10-2016, 06:13 AM
Am I being thick, but I'm still trying to work out exactly what it's for?

Gets rid of the std accelerator pump, which is notorious weak point of FCR's
Tunable leak jet circuit
Maximizes volume of fuel and duration of fuel spray for any condition
High volume vertical check valve for consistent fuel metering

Massively improves low end performance, stops the hesitation and bog associated with all FCR's and gives instant throttle response, I'd bet if you bang open the throttle especially with your split set-up there's a hesitation, will also make town riding much less jerky without messing with throttle tamers

Grumpy
18-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Why not, I do. It's one of those terrible earworms, welcome to the rest of your life humming this involuntarily :)

I've just caught myself whistling that tune a work! !:freak::dizzy::biggrin:

Dukedesmo
18-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Gets rid of the std accelerator pump

OK, I was thinking it was maybe an add-on pump for carbs without. So it's a replacement pump with more adjustability (no more bending the tab to adjust the 'squirt')?

Actually my bike runs fairly smoothly, the tamer helped mainly because the throttle action was so short (916 throttle has a quick action on a 916 but due to the cam sizes it is super-quick on the FCRs).

Fitting a TPS in conjunction with the Ignitech ignition smoothed things out massively, but I do think the accelerator pumps probably over pump as they are? and it can still bog at very fast throttle openings from a closed throttle although maybe not wise to do that in 1st or 2nd gear! http://ducatiforum.co.uk/data/photos/l/7/7378-1476784913-35b692b4f7f99f3d917577ec0f185ef6.gif

Having more precise adjustability is something to consider...

utopia
18-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I have heard it said that one reason that the original, diaphragm carbs are fitted is because they will not bog down if you crack the throttle open quickly, as say a beginner might do.
But that's because of the "delay" between diaphragm moving and slide responding ..ie they just respond slowly no matter what you do with the throttle.
I only mention it because I'm not likely to want to crack the throttle wide open ... my road riding style, although not slow, is simply not that hectic.
My aim is to achieve an instant and improved response to a sympathetic throttle hand rather than being able to cope with a more aggressive one.
I may therefore not need the Quickshot, particularly perhaps on my 750 which is moderately smooth around town.
But the design improvement and the facility for adjustment with the Quickshot both sound good to me.
Its definitely on the list of things to consider.
Time will tell.

And yes, Dirty, now you just about have the dance in question.

Stafford
18-10-2016, 12:45 PM
A wee read for you.
http://www.bikeboy.org/900SSwithkeihinfcr39and41mmcarbs.html

utopia
18-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks for that, Stafford.
I had seen it before actually, but it wasn't immediately relevant then so I just skimmed it.
Wasn't sure whether I could find it again, so ta.
The secondary links to Chris Kelly's stuff will also be useful.

Tbh, I would have preferred to get the carbs from Chris Kelly at Cal Cycle Works, because he seems like a good guy.
However, the US exchange rate has also shifted quite a lot lately and it just didn't make economic sense.

Funnily enough, I just happened to check on ebay and it seems that even the more expensive option, at £1050, has now been removed.
Looks like I may have been really timely in nabbing this last, cheap pair.
Born lucky, that's me (but then, aren't we all ?). :mand:

Scott1
21-10-2016, 04:07 PM
I hope you enjoy them as much as I have, made a huge difference! Looking forward to your review once they're on. I've never seen those parts Kato has posted the link too, look like a nice upgrade.

Nottsbiker
21-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Just a thought but I wonder if exige who I got my exact fit coil kit off can also supply the carbs from Ca Cycle Works. He's UK based so might avoid the dreaded import tax.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with your 39's as I'd love some 41's but can't justify a grand on some carbs

Kato
21-10-2016, 07:52 PM
i could be wrong about this but i think Max (pompone) had a set of 41's for sale they may have already gone but worth a shot

utopia
22-10-2016, 01:20 AM
I did wonder about getting them from Exige.
In fact that was the plan and I had contacted him about it, some months ago.
But with the exchange rate doing what it is at the moment, against both dollars and euros, all prices have gone through the roof.
I think I was lucky to get these at the price, under current circumstances.
Like I said, its a shame in a way because I would have preferred to get them from Chris Kelly (via Exige) but it just didn't add up and, if I'd waited, this deal would have lapsed too.
And naturally, any excuse to buy them NOW was favourably received. :)

Nottsbiker
22-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Ha ha ha good excuse ;)

utopia
30-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Well, well, well !
The same Dutch seller has just relisted the FCRs at what is presumably his new, revamped, post-brexit price......
£1,400 !!!
Ok, so that price is so steep that I probably wouldn't even consider buying them.
But nevertheless, my "happy accounting" allows me to consider that I got them at roughly half price.
Should sit nicely alongside my discount carbon wheels (£700 off) and bargain carbon tank (£260).
Not to mention the £30 ally swingarm.
The more I spend, the more I save. :D

Nottsbiker
30-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Would have saved even more money if you didn't buy them ; )

Sounds like you got a bargain in reality though mate

Dukedesmo
30-11-2016, 02:57 PM

You know it makes sense. :thumbsup:

:chuckle:

Jez900ie
30-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Well, well, well !
The same Dutch seller has just relisted the FCRs at what is presumably his new, revamped, post-brexit price......
£1,400 !!!
Ok, so that price is so steep that I probably wouldn't even consider buying them.
But nevertheless, my "happy accounting" allows me to consider that I got them at roughly half price.
Should sit nicely alongside my discount carbon wheels (£700 off) and bargain carbon tank (£260).
Not to mention the £30 ally swingarm.

Pics of the wheels s/arm & tank please!!

Darren69
30-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Brexit bargain! I think a lot of stuff we need/want is gonna get a heap more expensive shortly. Grab 'em while you can peeps!

We're all waiting to see Jeff's carbon wheels. I didn't know you'd nabbed a tank as well. I have one in my loft but I'm a bit wary of using it because of the fuel situation. Thoughts? Should it be ok? It's a lovely object d'art and would look good just on the wall but I want to use it. It looks like its lined with Kevlar too but given that I need it custom painted first to match the bike I'm just not sure.

Jez900ie
30-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Brexit bargain! I think a lot of stuff we need/want is gonna get a heap more expensive shortly. Grab 'em while you can peeps!

We're all waiting to see Jeff's carbon wheels. I didn't know you'd nabbed a tank as well. I have one in my loft but I'm a bit wary of using it because of the fuel situation. Thoughts? Should it be ok? It's a lovely object d'art and would look good just on the wall but I want to use it. It looks like its lined with Kevlar too but given that I need it custom painted first to match the bike I'm just not sure.

Got a pic of your tank? Where do you get Carbon tanks and what do they cost?

Dirty
30-11-2016, 07:47 PM

And I might have it if you think about selling :)

Darren69
30-11-2016, 07:52 PM
There was one on ebay last week for around £800., I didn't look if it sold. I think I had a watch link, if so I'll post it.

I paid around £600 for mine plus shipping s/hand from a guy in Holland about 18 months ago. He had a guy who'd bought an S4 fully loaded with carbon but the guy didn't like carbon. So it all went up for sale. Even came with a new fuel pump, fuel lines and a Ducati Performance alloy tank cap and filler. that's at least a couple of hundred quid's worth of extra stuff just there! Brexit bargain #2.

Let me check my ebay watch list.

Darren69
30-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Just checked, I think it must have sold:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-monster-s4r-s4rs-s2r-1000-900-etc-carbon-fuel-tank-/291896418933?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=9H8dl48RF7AdKx7LqFY2T9KTCtg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I'm just looking closely and some of the carbon weave looks a bit wonky in a few places, mind you if you were painting it up you could no doubt cover that!

I bet you won't find another, that's only the 2nd good one I've seen in 2 years! So good luck! You occasionally see the cracked ones come up for stupid money. Where the handlebars have whacked the tank in an off. I've seen about 3 or 4 of those which may or may not be repairable, mostly from the US (ooh there's a corner, **** I'm not used to those, I'm off!). But the shipping costs alone don't make them viable. Not seen many for carbies though mostly ie models.

I'll keep my eyes open for any more for sure. Ebay Holland or Belgium

Mr Gazza
30-11-2016, 09:57 PM
Stop fannying around Darren and get that tank on..!!...:chuckle:

You've seen them before , but here's a couple of pictures of Capo's carbon tank.

http://i65.tinypic.com/28hhgxv.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/ixzd09.jpg

If the are worried about the Ethanol;
1) Don't. (worry)
2) If 1) can't be achieved. Put a drain tap in before you paint, and then you can drain it down at the end of each season.
3) Seal it with a "composite" tank sealant.
4) Always use super extra plus premium grade petrol with (hopefully) less Ethanol or none if you're lucky.

Jez900ie
22-10-2017, 09:39 PM
One finally turned up, but a little out of my price range...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monster-Kevlar-Fuel-Tank-Corsa-Carbon-Gas-Cap-/162128369213?hash=item25bf9a963d:g:Iu0AAOSwwo1XfUb ~

utopia
22-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Blimey.
Makes mine seem even more of a bargain than I already knew it was.

Funnily enough, I nabbed another FCR39 the other day.
This one will go on my Dommie single.
I wasn't particularly looking for one but this one seemed too good to miss.
Brand new .. but from a private seller.
£148 inc postage.
Not only that but I took a bit of a punt on the engine side connection .. this one has a cast in stub rather than being machined to take billet stubs like the monster ones.
Would you believe it, it pops straight into the std Dommie inlet stub.

You need to wait calmly, but be ready to pounce when the forces align.
Grasshopper.

:cool: