PDA

View Full Version : Hi from South Wales

Stevie W
04-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Hi, I'm Steve, I live in Barrybados and I've just bought a 1997 Monster 750. The bike has covered just under 16,000 miles and has a full history, sometime in the past it has been repainted in metallic blue from it's original silver. It came with micron carbon fibre exhausts, a carbom Fibre tail tidy and a carbon fbre front mudguard. I have added a new carbon fibre hugger and have ordered some new side panels to match and put on a white GT stripe. I bought the bike from a very nice chap in Coventry who gave me a folder full of the old MOT's and all service records and receipts going back to it's first registration. On perusing these documents I was surprised to find that a previous owner also lives in Barry.
I've only ridden it for 100miles including the Distinguished Gentlemans Ride and I must say that I'm really impressed with it's lightness, handling and the beautiful boom from the exhausts.
It resides in my garage next to my Triumph Tiger 800xc and Triumph Daytona T595 (955), guess which keys I'm going to grabbing first.

Darkness
04-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Hi Steve & welcome.

Good choice of bike, there are some on here who are convinced they are faster than the 900 and lighter than the 600? M750 owners mostly.......:Furious:

It looks like there's some half decent weather coming up for the next couple of weeks to go play on the Gower and the Vale: enjoy. :D

MarkF
04-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Welcome Steve :)

slob
04-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Hello and welcome

Darren69
04-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Hi and welcome. I ran a 750SS for a number of years and its a great bike (until mine got stolen), lovely engine that 748 lump, probably the best of the early air cooled engines. Plenty fast, plenty of torque, addictive and easy to ride, but just don't ride a 900, 1000DS or even 916/996 monster or you will want one.

Electrics were still not that great at that time esp reg/rec so go through it and replace all the dodgy connections or don't get it wet.

utopia
05-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Ha ! ...a metallic blue 750 with a smattering of carbon, you say ?
I have owned one exactly such, for 10yrs now.
A completely lovely, real-world bike, and plenty fast enough for the nice roads.
You'll probably love it.

And welcome.

Taff666
05-10-2016, 05:48 AM
Croeso Steve

I too have a 1997 M750, but its still in bits after a 6 year "rebuild"

Give me a call if you're down in The Wild Wild West, I'm in Llangennech.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!

Taff

Stevie W
05-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Croeso Steve

I too have a 1997 M750, but its still in bits after a 6 year "rebuild"

Give me a call if you're down in The Wild Wild West, I'm in Llangennech.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!

Taff

Thanks for the welcome , how could I refuse an offer like that. I've seen the photos of your rebuild and I love that powder coating on the frame. I visit your area quite regularly and prefer the Carmarthen to Llanelli road via Pembrey than the A48 & M4.

I'll give you a shout next time I'm planning a trip to Felinfoel land.

alan c
05-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Hi Steve and welcome to the club.

Check out our weekender 2017 thread, sure you could ride over and say hello !
or stay a few nights :drunk:

Stevie W
05-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi Steve and welcome to the club.

Check out our weekender 2017 thread, sure you could ride over and say hello !
or stay a few nights :drunk:

Thanks for the welcome, I spotted the weekender post and have stayed at the Metropole in llandrindod Wells a couple of times for conferences.

I know the Mid Wales area very well and regularly frequent some of the best biking roads in the UK which are close by so if your looking for some routes to ride let me know. One of my favorites is through the Elan Valley and the mountain road to Tregaron and then onto the coast at Newquay where you can watch Dolphins whilst eating fantastic fish and chips from the local shop.

Stevie W
05-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I hope to become a regular contributor and look forward to someday meeting you.