PDA

View Full Version : False neutral, neutral

andanotherthing
24-09-2016, 03:46 PM
I am having starting problems with my M1200R. Very occassionally it appears to be in neutral but is actually partially engaged in a gear, either 1st or 2nd.

Can you have a false neutral neutral?

Darren69
24-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Sorry don't have one but you should to go back to Ducati if you're not happy with the bike, I'm not sure if any of us here can afford a 1200R but we can dream. but pulling the clutch may bypass some of the interlock switches (like stand down etc) and enable you to start it in the meantime.

MarkF
24-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Not had that issue with mine, how many miles have you done?

Yes you can start it in gear with the clutch in, just over 600 miles on mine and its a bitch to get into neutral with cold oil, the petrol station is half a mile away so that can pose a problem. Once warmed up no problems at all.

Is this after you have switched off in neutral?

slob
24-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Sounds like the neutral switch is a bit sticky. It's a faitly basic spring loaded plunger that runs on the selector drum. Presumably still under warranty? get your dealer to check it out.

andanotherthing
24-09-2016, 05:09 PM
I can select 1st and it starts.

The bike I test rode had the same neutral difficulty. I could only get it in neutral with the engine off.

My bike has a different issue, just with starting. Its only happened a few times over 2k miles, but on a new bike I would hope to not have any issues.

My query is a technical one about gear boxes which I know nothing about. Can you have a false neutral between 1st and 2nd gear,but not neutral itself?

slob
24-09-2016, 05:59 PM
You can have the neutral switch/light show neutral in 1st or 2nd, likewise you can select neutral without activating the switch/light. This confuses the safety systems and can prevent starting. This usually gets better and goes away as you run the bike in.

andanotherthing
25-09-2016, 07:36 AM
It would be good if the problem goes away with mileage. Just dont want it to continue after warranty ends.

Just very dissapointed to have niggly issues on a £15k bike. I've got the black version and the tank paintwork scratches just looking at it, and the frame leaks rusty water. My bike feels like a friday afternoon job!

Darren69
25-09-2016, 08:21 AM
The frames will get water inside them, particularly if you use a pressure washer. I don't think this issue is just with the 1200 the other older bikes can get this too, but I have heard at least one other 1200 owner complain of this, so it may be more of an issue on the 1200.

I can't remember where it may have been on here or in a review article.

Darren69
25-09-2016, 08:28 AM
It was on here:-

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=53269&highlight=%22water+frame%22

andanotherthing
25-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Looks familiar. I don't use a pressure washer though.