PDA

View Full Version : Garage Chock Stand ?

Greyman
15-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Evening all, I was considering one of these just to leave the bike parked in as it holds the bike upright and gives an extra few inches clearance compared with having the bike on the side stand in a smallish garage. Also would make checking oil level a little easier to check, does anyone else use one & if so what make & any comments ?
Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361312564800?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

chris.p
15-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Very useful, with your bike in one of these it free's up room in the garage for one, makes a lot of jobs easier to do, well worth it.

Mr Gazza
15-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Looks like an easy way to park a bike upright.

It says it's an alternative to a front paddock stand, and it isn't because you can't rotate or remove the wheel.
Checking the oil is not going to be accurate as it will tip the front up and be out of level.

For a very little more money you could have both front and rear paddock stands which are far more practical and secure as well as being able to remove both wheels or rotate them for cleaning and checking brakes and chain.

The wheel clamp is going to be really bad for a tyre if left several months...Over Winter for example. Whereas two paddock stands are ideal as both tyres are off the ground.

Best thing of course would be a centre stand...!...:biggrin:

Scotty
15-09-2016, 07:50 PM
meh ive got one i quite like it - ideal for van transport,

means i can get more bikes in a small space , i bought a slightly different design from m n p for a bit more cash but fewer bolts holding it together

Dukedesmo
15-09-2016, 08:09 PM
I've got a couple and regularly leave a bike parked in there. Great idea and you can ride straight into it, not noticed any marking to the tyre either.

Greyman
15-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the comments, I think I'll get one but have a look at M&P as suggested by Scotty. I've an abba stand too but find it a bit of a faf putting it on in the restricted space I have. As for marking the tyre, so far I've managed to get out on the bike every week for the last year & don't plan to lay it up over winter unless it snows...

J.P
19-09-2016, 04:25 PM
I've been away, but I've got a similar one you can have for FREE if you want to come and get it from SE12 (Lee).
But, it needs bolting down in some way to the floor, that ebay one you showed has holes already for each of the 4 legs and I've tried using mine, which doesn't have them, and it just moves around, so it is no good.

Greyman
23-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Sorry J.P that it's taken a few days to reply, works been a bit manic. That's a very kind offer. However, I could not possibly take it without some payment even if it was a donation to charity. The second 'problem' I have is I can't see me being able to get sarf of the river for about 6 weeks… Alternatively I could get you a piece of 3mm steel plate to bolt it to ?