PDA

View Full Version : Grumpys Fish & Chip Run ....Part 2....revived!

Grumpy
04-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Who fancies fish and chips on the 9th of October.😀
The plan is to meet at two points, then ride up to Wells next to Sea for fish and chips from an award winning fryers.

The first meet point will be Caxton Services at the junction of the A428 & A1198, in the Costa Coffee shop, for 9.30am, leaving at 9.45am.
We ride cross country to Walkers Snacks at five ways, Mildenhall, arriving at approx 10.45am.
A relaxing cuppa, then head on to Wells, leaving at 11.15am dropping into Well at about 12.30pm.

Who's game!

Mr Gazza
04-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Yay! 'course I'm game...:mand:

This ties in exactly with the first of our monthly Winter meets in Norfolk, which this year will be in Wells...Details to be posted...Should kick off with a good crowd...:thumbsup:

iMOC
04-09-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm in - unless its pi$$ing down :worried:

uncle duke
04-09-2016, 05:22 PM
cor that's a busy w/e.... FD m/c run on Saturday & this on the sunday...i'll know nearer the date but would love to go..

Grumpy
04-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Sounds like we should start a list....everyone loves a list!! :mand:

Grumpy
Mr Gazza
IMOC
Uncle Duke (maybe)

Ursa
05-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Chips you say? I'm a maybe depending on weather etc

Grumpy
Mr Gazza
IMOC
Uncle Duke (maybe)
Ursa (maybe)

slob
05-09-2016, 09:33 AM
I'm in - unless its pi$$ing down :worried:
Sounds good to me

utopia
05-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Seems a long way to go for chips ..... so count me in as long as the weather is reasonable. :biggrin:

And Rob ... I'll bring those shirts....?

Grumpy
05-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Chips you say? I'm a maybe depending on weather etc

They are some of the best chips in England ( allegedly!!)

iMOC
05-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Get in.....

https://s17.postimg.org/5ul02d40f/Screen_Shot_2016_09_05_at_18_11_15.png (https://postimg.org/image/lg2bmbfyj/)picture upload (https://postimage.org/)

Grumpy
05-09-2016, 08:45 PM
:Get in.....

https://s17.postimg.org/5ul02d40f/Screen_Shot_2016_09_05_at_18_11_15.png (https://postimg.org/image/lg2bmbfyj/)picture upload (https://postimage.org/)

:biggrin::biggrin::thumbsup:

Dukedesmo
05-09-2016, 08:55 PM
I'll regularly ride to Skeggy for chips, Wells is not much further. Weather permitting I'm there. :thumbsup:

Ursa
05-09-2016, 09:54 PM
I love chips....

Mr Gazza
06-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Grumpy
Mr Gazza
IMOC
Uncle Duke (maybe)
Ursa (maybe)
Slob
Utopia
Dukedesmo

List updated and link for the destination added.. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54315

uncle duke
06-09-2016, 06:40 PM
yeh thats one cool clubhouse !!

Grumpy
19-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Who else would like a day by the sea, eating award winning chips ! :biggrin:

Mr Gazza
03-10-2016, 04:59 PM
It's next weekend...!

Looking forward to this and the weather is looking promising.

Not sure if I will be meeting you at Mildenhall or Wells but I'll be there.

Grumpy
Mr Gazza
IMOC
Uncle Duke (maybe)
Ursa (maybe)
Slob
Utopia
Dukedesmo

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ug1255.jpg

uncle duke
03-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Looking good i'll be able to say for deffo later in the week . i'd meet up at mildenhall anyone else be there ??

Grumpy
03-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Looking good i'll be able to say for deffo later in the week . i'd meet up at mildenhall anyone else be there ??

That's great, would be good to meet you. Those of us heading up from Caxton Services will be stopping at Walkers for a cuppa. See you there :biggrin:

Grumpy
07-10-2016, 05:21 PM
It's next weekend...!

Looking forward to this and the weather is looking promising.

Not sure if I will be meeting you at Mildenhall or Wells but I'll be there.

Grumpy
Mr Gazza
IMOC
Uncle Duke (maybe)
Ursa (maybe)
Slob
Utopia
Dukedesmo

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ug1255.jpg

Gary, where are we meeting :biggrin:

Who else would be interested in a run to the coast?......this will probably be the last ride out before the weather turns!!

Mr Gazza
07-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Grumps, I am hoping to meet you at Walker's, depending how my daughter's morning pans out. I will know by Saturday eve and drop you a text.

Normally the Norfolk meet would start at Noon, but your run will arrive a bit later than that. If I can't make Mildenhall, I will meet you under the Gantry at the motorcycle parking area...Any early arrivals will no doubt hear the Monsters coming and meet under the Gantry, unless already filling up with chips!

I guess that given the brief, we will be heading for either Plattens or French's chip shops First? (On the Quay opposite the Albatros.) .. And then adjourning to the Albatros.

Anyone making their own way will soon bump into us, as the chippies and Albatros are only strides apart and quite prominent....You can't miss the Albatros...You'd get a bit damp if you did.. :chuckle:

Dukedesmo
07-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Just found this again, weather's looking good so should be a good one.

Anyone from Leics/Lincs/Nott area going? and would like to meet somewhere for the ride out? :thumbsup:

Grumpy
08-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Grumps, I am hoping to meet you at Walker's, depending how my daughter's morning pans out. I will know by Saturday eve and drop you a text.

Normally the Norfolk meet would start at Noon, but your run will arrive a bit later than that. If I can't make Mildenhall, I will meet you under the Gantry at the motorcycle parking area...Any early arrivals will no doubt hear the Monsters coming and meet under the Gantry, unless already filling up with chips!

I guess that given the brief, we will be heading for either Plattens or French's chip shops First? (On the Quay opposite the Albatros.) .. And then adjourning to the Albatros.

OK Gazza, I await your text! :)
As for meeting in Wells, why don't we say approx 12.30 in front of the Albatross.:thumbsup:

Mr Gazza
08-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Daughter is sad as her plans have been scuppered. So I will see you at Mildenhall.

12.30 by the Albatros sounds fine.. :thumbsup: (one "s" in Albatros. It's Dutch... :rolleyes: As is the Skipper.)

Looks like there will be a light shower or two floating about tomorrow, which is ideal.
It will keep the worst of the grockles away....Remember Southwold in the Hail and Sleet?..:chuckle:

Mr Gazza
08-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Just found this again, weather's looking good so should be a good one.

Anyone from Leics/Lincs/Nott area going? and would like to meet somewhere for the ride out? :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing you again...We missed you at East Kirkby last weekend.

Grumpy
08-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Auto spell check corrected albatros.!!!!

utopia
08-10-2016, 02:24 PM
On a stick ?

Mr Gazza
08-10-2016, 04:14 PM
.... Well it wouldn't be wafers would it?

uncle duke
08-10-2016, 05:34 PM
should make walkers ok for the run....soaked on the run today in chelmsford so don't really need another tomorrow !!!

Dukedesmo
08-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Looking forward to seeing you again...We missed you at East Kirkby last weekend.

Thanks, I'll meet up with Jeff to join you all at Mildenhall.

Grumpy
08-10-2016, 08:10 PM
should make walkers ok for the run....soaked on the run today in chelmsford so don't really need another tomorrow !!!

Thanks, I'll meet up with Jeff to join you all at Mildenhall.

Great, see you guys at Walkers.

utopia
08-10-2016, 08:58 PM
See you at Mildenhall.
If anyone else from the midlands fancies tagging along, I'll be leaving Leicester around 8.00am-ish and meeting Dukedesmo at The Old Pheasant, on the A47, at Glaston .. 9.15am.

uncle duke
09-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Hi all ...
well that was fun !! well until my bike started misbehaving . Anyway got home ok & no more cutting out which was strange but it could be as utopia said the side stand switch ?? & after dis/reconnecting it was ok ?? or just the wet creeping in ?? i sprayed loads of connections with electrical cleaner cleaned fuses (injector one a bit wobbley ??) so really just ride & see if it happens again..made for interesting journey home ..do i overtake this lorry will it cutout halfway past.. fingers crossed etc..
so it was great to meet you all & you don't hang about which is always a bonus..so until next time & i may even get to have some chips....
cheers roger

Mr Gazza
09-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Roger I was gutted for you when she started to play up. Great shame you had to turn back, but the wisest thing to do.
Your bike sounds and looks great. There will be more of the same, so we will ride again.. :D

Another great Grumpy run with the compulsory soaking. :chuckle:
Always good ride out with Immac.. No sorry I mean IMOC.. :D
Great to see Utopia again and to get to know Dukedesmo a bit better.

Special thanks to Dacs, Gremlin and family for turning out and representing Norfolk.

Nice row of Monsters in the parking lot, including one from another group that arrived just after us. Nice social gathering in the chippie... Just as it should be.
Not sure about the Albatros.. Time will tell.

Thanks to all for making it a fantastic day . Hope you all had safe, dry journeys home.

utopia
09-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Likewise Roger, it was great too meet you and I was gutted that you had to turn back.
Hope to see you again on another run.

Intermittent faults are always a bitch .. I have one on the Dommie that's been "occasional" for nearly 3yrs now, on and off.
I might be inclined to eliminate the sidestand switch from the equation by bypassing it .. at least if it happens again.
If its like mine, the multi-connector is 3 pole, but only two are active if you look.
Just bridge those two terminals .. they're female on the loom side and a piece of stiff wire bent like a staple does the job, then tape it up.
Beware though of leaving it like that for long because the sheathing will tend to funnel water down into it (not a problem until you tape up the end) .. guess how I know.
Oh, and beware of starting it on the stand while it may be in gear ... again, guess how I know.
Dunno whether your bike has a cutout linked to the clutch or not .. mine doesn't but I think some do.

iMOC
09-10-2016, 08:12 PM
haha! clearly I'll have to change my 'screen login name' :shocked:

Gazza - picture from the line up today - unfortunately I wasn't standing far enough back to get both yours & Dukedesmo's in the photo

Great to meet everyone today :thumbsup:

https://s22.postimg.org/ggk4ardyp/IMG_1431.jpg

Dukedesmo
09-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Enjoyable day with good company and Fish & chips, got a bit wet several times but never too wet.

Nice one all. :thumbsup:

Grumpy
09-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys for turning out . Fun as always.
Bad luck with the e!ectrical gremlins Roger, hopefully you will sort the issue quickly.look forward to meeting you again. If you would like to see if me of my tanks fit, give me a pm to organize.
Thanks for your company Mike, the ride today was made more enjoyable.

See you guys at the next ride out.

utopia
11-10-2016, 10:07 AM
And yes .. a grand day out.
And great company, one and all.
As I had plenty of time to spare while topping up my critically diminished tea reserves on my return, I wrote the following, rambly report.

Must've done best part of 300 miles all told, I guess.
Maybe six showers here and there, but nothing to worry about.
I'm definitely a "trousers over the boots" person though, and my feet remained dry even in slightly leaky boots.
After a 45min failure to hear my alarm, the nice but very minor, twisty route to Billesdon was abandoned (probably mud-strewn at this time of year anyway) in favour of the A47 all the way to meet Tim at Glaston .. early actually.
I can't help thinking that the pub there must be a good meet point, as its a lovely, mellow-yellow stone building, right on the main road, and is an easy pull-in.
Anyway, prior to that I'd been wondering if the engine was fluffing occasionally and the tickover wasn't very reliable.
At first I suspected bad fuel as I'd just filled up, but from my regular, local pump.
Then the penny dropped .. carb icing !
Yep already, even at this time of year, and with BP, low ethanol fuel too (and electric carb heaters but, well ....).
Confirmed by the fact that as things warmed up, she ran like a beauty.
FCRs then. Cos this is a cosseted bike, but it IS an all rounder, come hail....

We dallied slightly, doing "ooh, look at this bit on your bike" but were off again in good time .. into the first shower of the day, a little further west than I'd expected .. a worrying sign ?
Just before the rain came though, around Barrowden, I think, we were treated to a close up aerial display from a Red Kite, right over the road.
These birds are beautiful, and its wonderful to see them re-establishing.
Tim got damp socks ... but he's a "boots out" man.
The roundabouts were worth a little care in the wet, but that was all.
A couple more showers, and a closed road towards the end which required a few miles of navigation by the now thankfully re-emerged sun, saw us arrive only a tad late at the Mildenhall rendezvous.

Its different, with monsters, the whole thing about arriving in a group.
And its not like I would seek to create a presence as such, but nevertheless you can't help but feel it, and notice the response in others too.
Its like everyone grins just a little, and maybe nods at the fact that these really are the essence of a "proper" motorcycle.

Anyway, moving on ... we moved on towards Wells but were sad to lose Roger with a "cutting out" not far down the road.
I can't say that I was surprised by the easy assimilation of Roger into the group .. I've seen it before too many times now.
Just about every newcomer that I've ever met has been the same ... its got to be a monster thing.

utopia
11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
On arrival in Wells we filled the quayside motorcycle parking bay rather nicely (and I noticed "it" again there, too) thanks to the only monster-riding member of another group neatly filling the only vacant spot.
Somebody must have a pic .......
Here our numbers were swelled by Gremlin and family and Dacs.
Fish and chips were had, were good, and were worth the ride, though not just for the fish and chips ... obviously.
Sadly though, it appears that we somehow managed to miss Capo, who it seems must have been at a different fish and chip shop.

Then we adjourned to the boat, where I was mildly concerned to find a live musician ... lest I beg to borrow his guitar for an impromptu first rendering of a song wot I wrote .. about the bike .. well it kinda wrote itself but I was there at the time to write it down.
But no, being on the bike I only dared a half pint of the mildest local brew, so all was safe ... for now.

As the group dispersed, Gazza lead the remaining three of us to a secret place.
An ancient fortification/earthworks which appeared, as you approached, to be a single moaty trench with a sizeable ridge behind it but had a second moaty thing and even bigger ridge behind that.
It was sheep-grazed grassland, except for a single, ancient Holm Oak.
An Italian connection with this, via imported Marbles packed in acorns, was duly noted ... naturally.
You just can't help turning a little bit Italian.
Oh, and then there was a stonking rainbow. You could see all of it, vividly, end to end from our motte (?) vantage point.

Gazza pointed us at Kings Lynn and the run home was patchy but mostly wet.
It was one of those nights when visibility was not particularly good, even in the dry bits.
I noticed this from the other side a couple of weeks back on an evening run to Shropshire, when the air was still warm and the light was sharp and crisp .. even the monster headlight bathed the view ahead in warm clarity. You must all be familiar with that kind of visibility.
This evening was definitely not that ... I even once flicked to main beam and noticed no difference.
Though Tim's high intensity light in my mirror didn't seem fazed by it .. it even outshone mine from behind once. (no dazzle, btw).

It was a chilly evening but I was sporting my new Spada windproof underlayer, which I can recommend.
Last time out it kept the cold wind at bay even under my perforated summer leather jacket, and is nice and long to tuck in ... £30 well spent.

And home in time for tea.
Thanks to Grumpy for setting this up and everyone else for their company.

Dukedesmo
11-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Nice writeup Jeff.:thumbsup:

Though Tim's high intensity light in my mirror didn't seem fazed by it .. it even outshone mine from behind once. (no dazzle, btw).

Strangely whilst the dip beam is good the high beam is dismal - just seems to scatter into oblivion, especially in the wet so whilst following you I was fine, the last bit on my own was less relaxing. :eek:

I don't actually ride much at night but I might need to look into a better headlight setup for the occasions that I do.

utopia
11-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Yes, I imagine that my tail light was particularly easy to pick out .... confirm ?
Its an array of red leds which originally came with a clear lens but I replaced that with the std red one.
The resulting "double red" combo seems to give an very intense red colour without being over bright and dazzly.

I was thinking that some amber led cluster bulbs behind the std amber indicator lenses might have the same effect of intensifying the colour, but haven't got round to trying it yet.

btw ... I'm still definitely not a fan of your integrated rear light with body mounted supplementary indicators ... its vague at best, particularly with the smoked lens.
Which makes me think ... maybe my old clear lens would be a slight improvement ?
Its yours to try if you fancy ?

Mr Gazza
11-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Well done Jeff for articulating some of the things that make a club outing so much more than just a run. Thanks for posting it up.

I too am in awe of the Red Kite, there is sometimes one on patrol over the Fakenham road just before we dropped down the hill into Wells.... But not on Sunday alas.

My incontinence loons kept me dry, but the bike is feeling ever more nervous in the wet and to almost the same degree in the dry too! It's that square tyred feeling, twitching over every possible road mark and not quite going where I point it.
Tyre wear is negligible and pressures are spot on 32/36. I think I can feel play in the steering head, so I am thinking of ways to get both wheels off the ground and properly check wheel, swing arm and steering head bearings.

I really hope we didn't miss Capo in another chippie?

I'm glad you liked the Ring Ditch/Fort/Henge all rolled into one... She's beauty aint she?
I loved seeing you dive to ground level and find probably the last of the wild blooms this year... You should see the place in the Spring and Summer when all the wild flowers and Butterflies are out.
Sorry I kept you so late that you had a ride in the dark. I too stayed too long at Mum and Dad's and found how dark it was. Dip is woeful even with a Nightbreaker bulb. Main is tolerable when I can use it... Must investigate a better set up.
Also remembered the County Road Safety Officer politely pointing out that my tail light had gone only last Tuesday...Oops!

uncle duke
11-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Hi all
Gazz was the henge/ditch warham camp ??? or another i'll have to visit ?? ..& also talk of a red kite , sometimes see one around cavenham/tuddenham/barton mills with its forked tail..superb..
ps
have sent you a pm
cheers
roger

utopia
11-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Well done Jeff for articulating some of the things that make a club outing so much more than just a run. Thanks for posting it up.

..... the bike is feeling ever more nervous in the wet and to almost the same degree in the dry too! It's that square tyred feeling, twitching over every possible road mark and not quite going where I point it.
Tyre wear is negligible and pressures are spot on 32/36. I think I can feel play in the steering head, so I am thinking of ways to get both wheels off the ground and properly check wheel, swing arm and steering head bearings.

First point ...
That's exactly why I decided to post it, rather than delete my tea-addled ramblings.
Thought maybe it might spread the word and encourage others.
Glad you thought it worked.

Second point ...
It might be worth checking that your wheel alignment is spot on before going deeper (though I suspect you already know that it is).
I mention it because my bike developed a shimmy just after fitting the new swinger and wheels, despite my having religiously aligned everything within a thou of its life.
A quick check with a straight edge confirmed my suspicions that the rear wheel had been in and out so many times that I'd miscounted and was half a turn out on one adjuster.
The point being that it was only half a turn out, but it caused a shimmy at the legal speed limit (officer), which has gone after readjusting.
And that was on a brand new rear tyre, and fairly new front, plus new wheel bearings all round and swinger spindle bearings too (though my headstock bearings are old and probably borderline).

And, if I might speak slightly out of turn, I'm pretty sure the club holds suitable gizmos to suspend both ends of your bike off the ground with ease, and that such kit will be made available.
I'll look into it.

Also, I spotted it but you identified it as a harebell.

After that, dear reader, we did biker stuff like pissing on each others jeans and biting heads off chickens ... honest.

Dukedesmo
11-10-2016, 08:08 PM
Yes, I imagine that my tail light was particularly easy to pick out .... confirm ?

Yes, light showed up fine and looked perfectly normal to me. :thumbsup:

btw ... I'm still definitely not a fan of your integrated rear light with body mounted supplementary indicators ... its vague at best, particularly with the smoked lens.
Which makes me think ... maybe my old clear lens would be a slight improvement ?
Its yours to try if you fancy ?

I'm still a bit on the fence myself - although I've never seen it from behind, and at a distance.

The indicator integration can be switched off (and I have other indicators anyway) not sure if that would help?

Thanks for the offer but I doubt your lens would fit as the light is a 'sealed' unit, even if I did have to 'unseal' it last year as a wire had come unsoldered. I used good glue to re-seal so even if the lens was compatible I doubt I could remove it without breaking it...

Mr Gazza
11-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Hi all
Gazz was the henge/ditch warham camp ??? have sent you a pm
cheers
roger

Yes, that's the one. There is another, less defined, one on the marshes opposite Holkham Church, and another very large one with a modern crossroads right in the middle, somewhere between Holkham and Kings Lynn. Unfortunately I lent the book out that had the location in it and I can't remember the place name.!
Thanks for the PM. I have added your email to the Norfolk email group.
If anyone else wishes to receive emails about club activities in the (mainly) Norfolk area and beyond then just PM me your address.

It might be worth checking that your wheel alignment
And, if I might speak slightly out of turn, I'm pretty sure the club holds suitable gizmos to suspend both ends of your bike off the ground with ease, and that such kit will be made available.
I'll look into it.

Thanks for mentioning that. It could be possible after all the wheel changing during the rear brake episode. However this seems to have followed a worsening curve for the last couple of hundred miles...No turn will be left in-stoned..;)

It would be great if I could borrow or hire a good lift/stand of some sort. I await your findings with interest.

utopia
12-10-2016, 08:40 AM
It would be great if I could borrow or hire a good lift/stand of some sort. I await your findings with interest.

Sorted and pm'd.