PDA

View Full Version : 2V Valve covers

Wildfire
01-09-2016, 07:25 PM
So I have 2 stripped bolts on the horizontal cylinder which are just not coming out. It looks like it's going to be drilling them out and as they are recessed there is the chance of damage to the valve cover.

Does anyone have a spare cover knocking around I could purchase?

Flip
01-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Hold on before you get too hasty, what exactly has happened?

When you say stripped do you mean you've rounded off the hex inside the cap head of the allen screws?

Nottsbiker
01-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Can't you weld a cheap allen key into the knackered bolt and save wrecking your covers?

DrD
01-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Or a reverse drill bolt extractor?

Flip
01-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Or a reverse drill bolt extractor?

That was the route I was going to suggest.

Personally, if it is the hex rounded and you really can't get a key to grip I would drill off the cap head using a conventional drill bit to enable you to remove the valve cover, then after masking everything so no swarf gets in. Then I would use reverse drill bits in increasing sizes (make sure you drill the screw in the centre) in the hope one winds it out before having to drill it out completely.

A bit late now but when it comes to undoing engine fixings like this it is always worth ensuring you have really good fitting allen keys (preferably socket types as they tend to fit square) and ideally go for a good ride first and get everything nice and hot. I know it's a pain if you want to measure/adjust the valves as they need to be cold but it could save a lot of aggro.

DrD
01-09-2016, 10:25 PM
If you get larger reverse drill bits and use them on the heads, they sometimes unscrew the thing.
Since you are going to drill the bolt heads off anyway, might as well use one that might get the bolt undone
- the heat generated by the drill helps.

Wildfire
01-09-2016, 10:56 PM
I've been through all the usual routes, torx bit, then a bigger size of Allen, then tried a reverse extractor (snap on ones) and I got good bite, but it just feels like if I go any further they will snap.

Yes, I did use very good Allen keys, again, snap-on both sockets and wrenches. Out of 8, 6 came out no problems. It was the lower two on the horizontal cylinder.

I've tried heat, freeze spray, soaking in penetrating oil the lot.

The only thing I haven't tried is welding an Allen key in. But the bolts are pretty shot and the threads well stuck.

chris.p
02-09-2016, 05:59 AM
Just a thought and a bit left field.
If you have a dremel type of machine, why not cut the valve cover off leaving the bolt exposed and then either use a set of mole grips on the exposed bolt head or weld an allen key/ socket onto it?

Wildfire
02-09-2016, 06:22 AM
Just a thought and a bit left field.
If you have a dremel type of machine, why not cut the valve cover off leaving the bolt exposed and then either use a set of mole grips on the exposed bolt head or weld an allen key/ socket onto it?

That was plan 1.5.

Either way I still think the valve cover will get a bit of damage. :(

chris.p
02-09-2016, 10:25 AM
That was plan 1.5.

Either way I still think the valve cover will get a bit of damage. :(

Agreed, but at least the cost of new valve covers would be way cheaper than in the worst case having to have the heads off to get them drilled and re-tapped?

Darren69
02-09-2016, 10:47 AM
It may be too late if the heads are rounded now but have you tried hitting them with a punch or similar to try and break the corrosion? Sometimes a few sharp taps with a hammer can get them loose.

Wildfire
02-09-2016, 09:44 PM
It may be too late if the heads are rounded now but have you tried hitting them with a punch or similar to try and break the corrosion? Sometimes a few sharp taps with a hammer can get them loose.

Yep, tried that before attempt No. 2 and they stripped out. Also used and impact driver to no avail.

When the reverse extractor bites, you can feel the bolt flex, so it's definitely looking to snap. If I can get another cover, I will cut the cover and work on the bolt directly.

utopia
03-09-2016, 01:14 AM
I can almost feel your wincing as the bolt flexes and approaches the point of snappage.

If you've not already done so, would there be any future in applying your freeze spray down a hole drilled down the centre of the bolt ?

Is it at all possible to apply a steady torque while hitting the end of the bolt with a hammer and punch at the same time ?

Ooooh, and I've just half remembered a post on this very forum 6 or 7 yrs ago where someone (I think it might have been Mr Gremlin ?) was talking about using nitric acid down a drilled bolt, as it attacks the steel but not the ally.
Not that I'm saying its a kosher approach, just that I remember the discussion.

They're all longish shots, but when you've tried everything else .........

Wildfire
08-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately I can't apply torque and impact any more due to the heads being gone and also recessed.

So no one has any valve covers?

The only ones I can find on eBay are in the US and come to around £30 in total. Not the end of the world but still annoying as most of that is postage.

I think I'm leaning towards the cutting of the covers and getting a mole or similar on the bolts along with some freeze/heat etc.

So, anyone know of any covers? Before I commit to the US ones?

Dukedesmo
08-09-2016, 11:26 AM
A bit scruffy (and expensive given the condition) but at least in the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-900-Monster-1998-1999-Two-Rocker-Inspection-Covers-/331512257306?hash=item4d2fab9b1a:g:XcUAAOSwDNdVwGn t

Nasher
08-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Sorry, I might be missing something here.

If you can feel the screw flexing then it's most likely not corroded into the cover very firmly, just stuck firm in the Cylinder head.

So by drilling the head off the screw you'd be able to lift the cover over the remaining shaft of the screw. Or tap it off if it's corroded in.

You can then try gripping the screw with a pair of Mole grip type pliers, but it's likely to shear off down near the surface of the Cylinder head.

You are then into carefully drilling it out and using an insert, or could try welding a nut onto the top of the remaining shaft. I use this trick all the time as the heat from welding helps.

If you were down near me on the South coast I'd happily show you how, I even have the insets in stock, as years of mucking about with motorcycles and Outboard engines has taught me that I will need them when the shops are shut.

Nasher.

Wildfire
08-09-2016, 07:10 PM
No it's not corroded to the valve cover, definitely into the cylinder head. I just don't have the total confidence of drilling the head off the bolt without damaging the cover. Plus as I use the bike every day, I can't take it off the road whilst I try and source one in case it does get damaged.

It's two bolts that are damaged, if I could get them it and replaced in a day that would be awesome.

M@tt
13-09-2016, 09:07 PM
I have a horizontal cover from a 1000ds - without oil cooler mount- if that works?

fireman sam
13-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Hi mate forgot to tell you the bolts have seized in the covers. A 6mm drill will drill the head out but do not go deeper than the head do all four the cover will then come off and leave the threaded stud. Which will come out with a pair of small mole grips

Wildfire
14-09-2016, 10:21 AM
As I seized in the covers you have?

If they are out of the heads that is a better start than mine, which are on the bike and seized in the heads.

Happy to have a go at them, as working on covers is far easier than on the bike itself. If you could ping me a message of how much you want etc. That would be great.

I want to have a go next week as I am off work. The emergency plan is to used the RSV-Mille if the Monster is stuck off the road. But it is my brother's bike and also bl**dy loud.