PDA

View Full Version : Replacement prop stand; M900

spuggy
29-08-2016, 06:52 PM
So, I read more than one concern about the strength of the cast prop stand on the M900. Mine seemed OK, until the Monster needed a van ride after an unscheduled bit of off-roading, and showed it's contempt for the whole process by pretzeling the prop stand completely and falling over in-transit (yeh, that's a pun, it was actually a Fiat).

I saw a 696 stand on Flea Bay. "hmmmm, that looks WAY beefier than a M900 one"....

The leg is either solid, or a big old bit 'o pipe. Much studlier. And cheaper than a billet one. 696 switch is the same part # as 900ie, so that's obviously the same. I took a leap of faith that they wouldn't have re-designed the lugs on the engine castings, and bought one.

Fitted it today. Other than the 696 foot (much larger footprint than the original) needing a corner relieving so it actually retracts to the stop instead of using the header as a stop, it's a bolt-on. Hope this helps somebody else :)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv15/spuggy930/propstand/IMG_20160829_160509_zpsaljdlclj.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/spuggy930/media/propstand/IMG_20160829_160509_zpsaljdlclj.jpg.html)

Flip
29-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Bit late now I know but that is why I would never tie a bike down in van while on it's side stand- this isn't the first time and sure as eggs is eggs won't be the last time a side stand gives up under protest.

At least it wasn't the engine case that gave in first!!!

In addition to the later 696 stands fitting the first generation of injected bikes so do the earlier carb'd model stands I believe, which are a nice solid alloy jobbie (do you think Ducati realised they had made a mistake?).

utopia
30-08-2016, 08:01 AM
I'm shocked that you managed to bend the forged sidestand in that way.
Like Flip says, its probably lucky that the cases didn't go first as that is the recognised weak point.
It'll almost certainly be a forging btw .. a casting would be brittle and would have snapped long before bending that far.
Dunno whether the new one will be stronger or not actually.
I suspect that the main reason for the design change was cost, or possibly weight saving.
And it will be tube, not solid.

Useful info on the swap though.

Mr Gazza
30-08-2016, 09:10 AM
I considered myself lucky that my present Monster has the forged stand, which looks much stronger than the earlier alloy job...Quite alarming to see one bent, but on the other hand reassuring that it didn't snap or break the cases.

Brilliant tip with the 696 interchangeability...:thumbsup:
It also looks like a much easier stand to modify for length, should the need arise if the ride height is adjusted.

Afterthought... Don't chuck your bent stand away. I'm sure that could be straightened (or bent straight as we say in Norfolk), with a little bit of warmth and persuasion.