PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Post 2000 Seat

RossObey01
29-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Good afternoon all,

It turns out, after having another Monster for the weekend to compare mine to, that I have the wrong seat fitted. I've always thought it doesn't look quite right around the tank, so after a bit of research I find out there are two types and it looks like mine is the more pointed type where it meets the tank.

If anyone has the right seat, post 2000 that they're wanting rid of can you let me know. Alternatively, if someone is in the opposite position to me and we can do a straight swap, that would be awesome! :biggrin:

You can see in this photo how it's the wrong type (mine's the yellow) compared with the red bike of the same year.

http://i64.tinypic.com/23i8gmh.jpg

Mr Gazza
29-08-2016, 04:29 PM
As you know I also have a 2000 bike, but you have carbs and I have injection, so there might be differences in the tanks?
The seat that came with my bike, which I take to be original, fits the tank in a similar sort of way to yours, but only on the right side, the left fits quite nicely.
That seat has a slight rip so I managed to pick up another from an M900Sie and that one fits very well, even though it is stamped with 2001 year of manufacture.
Did you try swapping the seats of the 600 and 750?
The small radius front that you mention is on the early bikes. The radius looks right on yours, but the trim is off somehow.
there are so many subtle variations that it's going to pay you to try any seat on your bike that you intend to buy...Making internet shopping rather unreliable I'm afraid.

Finally.. Don't rely on the stamped part number under the seat. That is the part number for the seat base and that base covers an awful lot of different models as it was just cut and trimmed differently according to model fit.
You should be safe if you can find a seat off a carbed 750. Preferably of the same year, but it's not a guarantee.... Happy hunting...:biggrin:

utopia
29-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Yes, that actually looks like the correct seat to me (I'm only aware of two types though).
But I agree, the fit is a bit off.
When I swapped my original seat for the Corbin, the fit to the tank was not as good as the original.
I adjusted the height of the tank hinge bracket (on the frame) by fitting washers underneath it, to restore a tidy fit.
I've just had a look and there's 4 washers (about 5mm total) underneath the hinge on both bolts.
Trouble is, your tank looks like it wants to go down, not up at the hinge.
But maybe some hinge tweaking of some sort may help.....?
I guess its possible that the tank side of your hinge has been distorted (easily done if a careless previous owner has raised the tank when its full of fuel) ...but be cautious in that area, they are prone to leakage there so I'd be very wary of tweaking that side of the hinge.
My bike is a yr2000 M750, btw.
And sadly no, the original seat isn't available, sorry.

iMOC
29-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Ross

Just a thought. Did you try the seat from the red monster in the picture on your bike as a compassion? That might have proved either your seat is indeed wrong, or as Utopia says the tank may need a slight adjustment

Drumnagorrach
29-08-2016, 07:02 PM
I have a 2002 seat, but your bike looks much earlier with no tacho .

Flip
29-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Ahh I think some of the trouble here is we are in the somewhat dodgy area of the crossover years of the TGP takeover.

Early frame, early clocks and switchgear, later front suspension and wheel (bigger diameter axle) while the rear has the hoop and the 17mm rear axle along with carbs not the fuel injection tank but the post 'Cagiva font' on the tank.

But looking at that photo the profile of the seat seems not quite right- it may just be the angle but are you 100% certain that someone hasn't been at it with a big knife and some extra foam?

Mr Gazza
29-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Flip is right with the crossover thing.

Up to 1999 things were pretty straight forward. 2000 is a bit of a law unto itself and there are changes within 2000 that confuse things.
This runs into 2001 a bit but by 2002 things are more rational.

Some interesting reading here about tanks fitting a seat but you can reverse apply it.. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=52950&highlight=seat

RossObey01
29-08-2016, 07:32 PM
I had thought that Flip, because comparing the two bikes I noticed it looks slightly different. I've also never noticed myself slipping towards the tank like a few people complain of.

No I didn't swap the seats but will be able to without any problem, so I'll try that first.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! Much appreciated.

pegboy
30-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Don't have an original seat but do have a Gel seat, nice and comfortable??

Darren69
31-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Just spotted this on ebay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-monster-s4r-s4-s2r-1000-900-etc-seat-zadel-/291861251884?hash=item43f449472c:g:7AwAAOSwQjZXQfV m

Mr Gazza
31-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I don't think that one will fit Ross's bike Darren.. Rather pricey to risk it!

Year 2002 seats are all interchangeable with 2002 models but don't fit 2000 bikes. There are two different seat heights for 2002 as well, but the fit is the same (620ie is low and S4 is high).

The description for that seat is rather misleading as no year is given. It should say 1000ie and 900ie. If it fits an S2R ect, it will not fit a 2000 900ie. In any case I think the 900ie finished when the S#R came out?

Darren69
31-08-2016, 07:35 PM
His best bet would be to attend a local monster gathering and try a few others.