PDA

View Full Version : Halved my Insurance costs!!!!!

Dark-Jon
29-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Got a quote from my current insurers, £975 fully comp :eek:
Thats an '02 620ie with 3 yrs ncb, datatag, 'sold secure' disc lock and chain, 6k miles and no commuting or break down cover!

Phoned Ducati Insurance, £895, bit better, and that was through Norwich Union.

Got a quote with http://www.insuremyducati.co.uk/ and they quoted £440.00!!! Ok, they have a £300 excess as opposed to £175 with the others, but whats £125 if you stuff your bike into something given the cost of Ducati parts?

chuffed, now have more money for petrol :burnout:

Dark-Jon :D

newland
29-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Sounds good i am having trouble getting insured at the momment will give it ago ?

Pedro
29-02-2004, 12:15 PM
DJ

it's a good service ain't it - been with them for nearly a year now and no complaints.

Ped

Taman
29-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Just finalising my insurance now. I tried the insuremyducati guys but cheapest they could do was 490/839 (TPFT/Comp) - seems that not having a garage is causing probs.

Most other quotes I got were around 500/700, but the best was from Laxtons at 200/405!

Downside is that they don't do agreed value so my 2001 M900Dark is valued at 3.5k and will lost changed bits if anything happens. Bit of a pain, but suppose this is how it goes.

Cheers, Taman

kevin5952
29-02-2004, 01:49 PM
when i got my m750 a couple of months ago i did the usual and phoned around all the insurance agents.prices varied from 350/250 tpft,phoned hastings direct and got tpft for £85.00!!!thats with 2 yrs ncbfrom reading the above quotes you should give them a try.

Taman
29-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Great price, but they only claim to only insure you if bike is kept in locked garage overnight - think I need to find a garage!

spacemonkey
29-02-2004, 03:22 PM
So that's why they never reply to me..

kevin5952
29-02-2004, 03:35 PM
hastings told me that a brick built shed would be classed as a garage for insurance purposes.so i bit their arms off for that price!!

Taman
29-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Sounds fair enough - the closest I have is in a car park (with security cameras) on campus, but nobody seems to consider that a car park. Shame!

walkingpictures
29-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Might be worth trying www.wickedquotes.com - they did me a real good deal for my Monster and ZR1000 last year,will be interesting to see what my renewal is this year.
Hope that helps

Kimbo :)

snakey
29-02-2004, 04:54 PM
one from wickedquotes - I am only insured on the 2 ducs and cannot ride anyone elses bike , which i need to do sometimes as i don't like working on bikes and not testing them myself to make sure everything is ok, however when i taxed my car the other day i discovered that the car insurance covers me for any bike thats not mine!

Pete.

spacemonkey
29-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Taman, my car park is resident's permit only with Big Brother cameras at the entrance, and my car policy with Norwich Union recognises this and gives a discount, however my Carole Nash bike policy only recognises it as the equivilant of driveway. It's so unfair that I can insure my bike for peanuts at my dad's address and leave it uncovered, unlocked and by the roadside with a 'Steal Me' sticker on it, but I cannot get a decent quote for my address in inner London scumsville even if it is locked to the hilt with an approved chain to a unmoveable railing, alarmed (with pager), covered and in the above mentioned carpark. Life sucks..

spacemonkey
01-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Insure my Ducati phoned me today. They quoted £293 without a garage and the same sort of cover as Carole Nash....

AngelV
01-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Who is your car insured with? Wouldn't mind such a policy. Bike is with Carole Nash - who I needed to allow me to drive other bikes not belonging to me and v.reasonable too.

CN are about to launch a "6 wheel" policy (your bike and your car), but their quote for my car was freakingly expensive, so stuck at the moment.....

spacemonkey
02-03-2004, 03:45 PM
My car is with Norwich Union Direct and it too covers other bikes.

pete
02-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Always worth trying someone like Bennetts.....

Not been on bikes for a good few years so no ncb. 620ie,
fully comp, £250. (I'm no spring chicken I might add, and the
bike is garaged). This was last April.

What was very interesting is that a few brokers best prices
were with the same underwriting insurer, but were wildly
different. Didn't make much sense to me....

Pete

Dark-Jon
02-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Um, Bennetts were the ones who quoted me £975! Maybe they just dont like insuring younger london based riders wihtout garages :confused:

Seems to be more luck of the draw with insurance over any plausibal (spelling?) logic

Dark-Jon :)

pete
03-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Yes, well I got the impression it was a certain profile of
rider they were interested in. They even wanted to know how
many kids I had !!

Not sure how the number of kids you have effect the chance of
some myopic car driver trashing you, or some scumbag
nicking your pride and joy.

Pete

DesmoDom
18-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Got my 2 S4 Cromo's insured today by Insuremyducati.
Excellent cover, including, personal gear, roadside assistance/recovery, legal cover, overseas travel cover and protected no claims.
Fully Comp, £659.00, with a £500.00 excess, which is loads better than the other quotes I've had.

Very Happy :D :D :D

See ya
Baz

Melnie Mouse
18-03-2004, 04:04 PM
funny that, isn't it, good for different people, I've always found Bennets very good for me, (shed no garage, but with ground anchor)... under 300 quid fully comp...

But my car insurance, Direct Line, wont insure me for other bikes only cars, so i would love to find new car insurance reasonable that does bikes, and you guys have just proved to me IT DOES EXIST even though they said it doesn't... WOT BULL HUH?

keep ringing then I guess... :(

spacemonkey
18-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Ms Mouse, if Direct Line like you, then Norwich Union will too. Ok, the call centre is in India and they don't know their glutimus maximus from their cubitus, but once every thing is sorted they are ok. CIA also do both from what little I remember.

Paranoid Dave
18-03-2004, 06:36 PM
It's odd how companies change-

I was with CIS as they had been cheapest when I first got the bike having passed my test, cheapest next year having made a claim (or two) in the previous year, and once again after that with one year NCB. I was paying over £600 at this point, I'd just renewed for the 4th time for a similar price when i bought my Yamahahaha 250 and they told me they didn't do joint policies but would cover that one for £350 on top of what I was paying for the duke and that included a DISCOUNT because I already had a policy with them. Up to this point they had always been cheapest but the last renewal I didn't ring around - yes I know, bend me over a chair and slap me!
I rung Carole Nash and they covered the duke on streetfighter policy with all mods including non lega cans etc, and the new yam for a combined total of £450 :D

Happy bunny that day I was. I know sometimes adding a less powerful older bike reduces the policy as you can't ride both at once, but I plan on selling it soon so we'll se if my policy jumps up again???

Duncan
18-03-2004, 06:36 PM
There is a classic policy run by Carole Nash that you can add modern bikes to and it keeps your insurance costs down as they assume classic owners to be responsible bunch with lower claims etc.

3 bikes, 1972 500 Triumph, 1980 550 Suzuki and a '99 900 Monster one large claim in 2002, none in previous 20 years, bikes garaged, £100 excess, aged 41, Bristol postcode. All for £280 fully comp.

You dont even have to ride the classic, just insure it and your total insurance drops. On its own my Monny was £385!?