PDA

View Full Version : live feed

custard748
27-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Hi all
Im trying to figure out the best place to take a live feed for my Tom Tom on my 2015 821.
The Ducati trickle charger plug under the seat, I know this is for a Ducati only charger, but could I cut into this for a live and earth, or even chop the plug of the end and use that. Anybody done this???

spuggy
30-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Hi all
Im trying to figure out the best place to take a live feed for my Tom Tom on my 2015 821.

The battery terminals. Ideally fused.

The Ducati trickle charger plug under the seat, I know this is for a Ducati only charger,

I am very skeptical it can tell the charger came in a Ducati box. Or that the Ducati has requirements that can't be satisfied by a properly-designed/built charger.

If they've done funky things with CANBUS, just add a fused cable across the battery terminals. An Optimate TM71 is like 6 quid...

but could I cut into this for a live and earth, or even chop the plug of the end and use that.

Because you can doesn't mean you should, or that it's a good idea. Failing to see a good reason to cut factory wiring.

Figure out the type of plug you need to fit the charging socket. It'll be a white CANBUS/DIN, a black stepped SAE connector (like the Optimate 4) or an AMP weatherproof superseal type socket.

Use an adapter for that socket to either an USB or cigarette lighter/accessory socket as preferred. Optimate sell cables/adapters to do this. Like the TM77 (DIN plug->SAE socket) or SAE-100 (SAE plug->USB socket) for example. This stuff is all over fleabay.

I'd lean towards something branded by a reputable manufacturer myself. Because once the magic smoke escapes from the harness, it's really hard to put it back...

Darren69
30-07-2016, 01:23 PM
I echo Spuggy's concerns, I wouldn't cut into the wiring but rather buy the plug that fits the diagnostic socket and take the live from that (with a fuse maybe) then you can just unplug it or take it from the battery.

jonzi
30-07-2016, 03:13 PM
As some one has mentioned else where I think, that plug is also for diagnostics, so you cut it off, when your 821 breaks down, you wont be able to plug it in to read error codes, and the like

You only have to get to the battery once to add a charging lead, suck the pain up imo

iMOC
30-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I don't know if its the same on the 821, but on my 1200R there is a 12V switched power feed on the left hand side of the bike, up near the steering headstock, inside of the frame. Its a white/clear plug with a black blanking plug inside of it. Have a look for it and let me know if its there. If so, I'll let you know what 'male' plug you will need for it

Flip
31-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Figure out the type of plug you need to fit the charging socket. It'll be a white CANBUS/DIN, a black stepped SAE connector (like the Optimate 4) or an AMP weatherproof superseal type socket.

Use an adapter for that socket to either an USB or cigarette lighter/accessory socket as preferred. Optimate sell cables/adapters to do this. Like the TM77 (DIN plug->SAE socket) or SAE-100 (SAE plug->USB socket) for example. This stuff is all over fleabay.

I'd lean towards something branded by a reputable manufacturer myself. Because once the magic smoke escapes from the harness, it's really hard to put it back...

Totally agree not to cut the factory wiring.

Worth pointing out some Optimates use TM connectors (both my Optimate 3's plus I converted my original to them as well) which are actually made by Molex and Amp and used for Tamiya radio controlled car battery connections and leads can easily be made up using these but the SAE type are a pain as they are moulded plugs.

Darren69
31-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Totally agree not to cut the factory wiring.

Worth pointing out some Optimates use TM connectors (both my Optimate 3's plus I converted my original to them as well) which are actually made by Molex and Amp and used for Tamiya radio controlled car battery connections and leads can easily be made up using these but the SAE type are a pain as they are moulded plugs.

I did exactly the same on my old optimate, chopped the old plug off and fitted a Tamiya plug which is used on the newer ones. It wasn't a moulded type but rather a smaller version of the Tamiya type but had become corroded. You can buy the rubber caps too so I made up some new leads for the 748 too and fitted those.