PDA

View Full Version : Padded and armoured shorts

maxxjod
25-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Just wondering does anybody use padded and armoured shorts? i have pockets for hip pads in my jeans but the pads seem to have far to much movement in them to be of any use if called upon, my leathers don't have any pockets at all for hip armour.
Thinking of the Knox defender shorts.

utopia
25-07-2016, 12:34 PM
I've been pondering the same for a while now.
For similar reasons too, ie better location of armour, amongst others.
You could try looking at stuff aimed at motocross riders.
I was also considering Kevlar long-johns, and the cheapest I came across are made (for protection against knife attacks !!) by a company called Bladerunner ... though obviously that would be more for abrasion resistance than impact protection (with a side order of extra warmth).

maxxjod
25-07-2016, 01:07 PM
I have been looking at the motorcross type armour but i am not too sure is applicable to road riding though.
Just looked at the Bladerunner website and it states that their garments are not suitable for abrasion resistance only knife attacks and puncturing! My jeans have Kevlar in various places that are needed

utopia
25-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Yes, they do say that.
But I can't help thinking that Kevlar is Kevlar, and while its abrasion resistance hasn't been tested it must nevertheless be at least half decent.
Slightly dangerous thinking I know, but the general design looks good and the price is much less than other brands.
I would certainly take them over a purely comfort/warmth base layer long-john, underneath thin leathers.
Not quite your situation I know.

Flip
25-07-2016, 09:54 PM
I too keep looking at alternatives to leathers but want a pair of jeans that look like jeans without them being obviously motorcycle wear and without them cooking my legs on a hot day (which is the reason I wear jeans rather than my leathers in the first place).

I'm not against some armour in there if it's discreet but I don't want bulky foam filled denim and personally I couldn't be bothered putting a pair of protective shorts on under anything else as I might as well wear my leathers.

I am by no means an expert on the subject but isn't Kevlar a trade name which is why so many 'denim motorcycle jeans' say they are made with Aramid fibre or is there a difference?

Dukedesmo
26-07-2016, 09:03 AM
I am by no means an expert on the subject but isn't Kevlar a trade name which is why so many 'denim motorcycle jeans' say they are made with Aramid fibre or is there a difference?

'Kevlar' is indeed a brand of Aramid made by Dupont, as is 'Nomex'.

But Kevlar is a specific type of Aramid and there are others that have similar properties but, for example Nomex was developed for it's heat protection qualities rather than strength and is used in fire-resistant racing suits etc.

So yes, jeans marketed as 'Aramid' rather than specifically 'Kevlar' maybe as good as the Kevlar branded version with the manufacturer using a cheaper brand of aramid or they may not be as good, unfortunately it's not that easy to find out.

Then again genuine Kevlar lined jeans will vary in protective qualities depending on how and where the Kevlar is used and indeed how much of it there is - it's the soft yellow stuff used in the lining and not in the actual denim.

Ursa
26-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Go Go Gear do proper Kevlar armoured hoodies and leggings (for men and women) specifically made for motorcycling. http://www.gogogearla.com/

I can't wear hip armour, not because it makes my backside look even bigger (the horror!!!), but because I can't get my leg over the bike with it in...:biggrin:

spuggy
03-08-2016, 08:02 PM
I too keep looking at alternatives to leathers but want a pair of jeans that look like jeans without them being obviously motorcycle wear and without them cooking my legs on a hot day (which is the reason I wear jeans rather than my leathers in the first place).

I quite like the Bikers Gear (Australia or UK) jeans; knee/hip pockets for CE armour (supplied with). Fleabay has them for 40 squid pretty often. For the money, pretty happy with their gear.

Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-DARK-BLUE-Denim-jeans-protective-lining-CE-Armour-Trousers-/272295040409?var=&hash=item3f660c9599:m:mibYKJP6eakhLH8qx81pJlw

Although I do find I prefer their cargo pants; really notice it when you go to use the cargo pockets and they're not there... :)

I tend to wear their jeans with the kevlar hoody (black) I just bought, mostly to avoid the Johnny Cash/Darth Vader effect...

The kevlar hoody is fully lined, knitted and much more breathable than leather. Which is why I bought it; came back after a ride with a leather jacket with body armour underneath last week and had sweated all the way through a T-shirt. Ewww...

They're lined to the knee with rich yellow Du Pont (TM) Kevlar (TM). Their Fleabay ads point out that all kevlar is aramid, but not all aramid is kevlar - and that many of the cheaper sellers are watering down - so to speak - the kevlar (the lighter the shade apparently the weaker/cheaper it is) - or not using as much lining.

maxxjod
03-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Well I bought the Knox shorts and wore them on the recent tunnel run, they were very comfortable and stayed where they should dye to the silicone taping on the bottom of the legs. With regards to the armour I never noticed that it was there.
Would gladly recommend these shorts to anybody thinking of going down this route.

Nickj
04-08-2016, 09:05 AM
I can't wear hip armour, not because it makes my backside look even bigger (the horror!!!), but because I can't get my leg over the bike with it in...:biggrin:

Looking at armoured riding gear for Caroline I run into the same problem Ursa... we get into the very bootlicious quite rapidly!!

slinemfc
27-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Knox do a good pair of subtle jeans. Not too hot and the armour, at the knees, slides in and out easily from the outside through hidden zips.
I've been wearing mine all summer and have got on fine with them. The hip armour also stays in place on mine.