PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Bolton

Stephenniall
09-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Hi All,

After two years of riding on an A1 (125cc) License, I was on the lookout for a big bike, I wanted something like a triumph scrambler, but somehow ended up with a 1995 Ducati Monster 600.

I saw the bike on eBay, went to have a look at it and bought it a few days later.

http://imgur.com/pvGIvR9.jpg

It's been taken care of pretty well, I'm going to repaint the tank and tail fairing sometime this year as there's a little bit of solvent pop and some other small imperfections that wont polish out, but other than that I don't have many plans for the bike. I've had it three weeks now and thought it was about time to join the forums for some info.

Stephen.

slob
09-07-2016, 03:49 PM
hello and welcome

Mr Gazza
09-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Hello and welcome Stephen.

That looks very nice indeed..No wonder you bought it...Well done.

Only departure from bog standard that I can spot are the mirrors and the rear indicators seem to have gone missing?

It's unusual to see an oil cooler on a 600 but I'm no expert.

I haven't seen "Ducati" at that angle on a Monster tank before, so maybe it has had a re-spray before?...Easy to put right when you re-spray it though.

Did you have enough change to buy some nice gloves and bike gear??..:biggrin:

slob
09-07-2016, 05:45 PM
eagle eyes Gary!

seconded re: gloves

Darkness
09-07-2016, 06:39 PM
eagle eyes Gary!

seconded re: gloves

You missed the bar-end weights Gary.

Gloves don't matter until you need them: then you Really need them.

Mr Gazza
09-07-2016, 07:44 PM
You missed the bar-end weights Gary.

No I didn't miss them but they don't matter anyway...They probably came with the Gold Renthal bars?

Non of my observations are of anything that detract from a very nice clean, tidy and original Monster...Such as the rim stickers and valve caps, the extra holes in the headlamp bracket and the use of cable ties in lieu of the original rubber straps.

Not sure what the black disc is on the crankshaft cover or if the front indicators are original or after market.

:biggrin:

Edit...Looks like the rear indicators are on the custom tail piece?

Stephenniall
09-07-2016, 09:04 PM
The bike has had a full respray at some point. The only original paint is on the front headlight fairing.

The wheels have 'monster' stickers and light up valve caps which are bloody awful and are coming off as soon as, I'm thinking of painting the wheels the same colour as the frame. Indicators are cheap eBay LED things which are being replaced, along with the mirrors and gold bar ends. Front indicators are aftermarket but I think they're just copies of OEM ones, the black bit on the crank is a piece of carbon wrap.

Believe it or not I have a nice pair of Halvarrsons gloves which were umm... in my pocket at the time of that picture ��

Mr Gazza
09-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Well you've landed yourself a very nice Monster there Stephen.
Clearly a man of taste...I can tell it's only going to get better...:biggrin:

cactus
11-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Hello and welcome to the Monster experience. :)

utopia
11-07-2016, 09:50 AM
welcome along.

Dirty
11-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Light up valve caps! That's class on a stick right there :)

The oil cooler thing intrigues me though.

And welcome along

Darren69
11-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Welcome along Stephen. Regarding the oil cooler, I think it's quite possible to retro fit one from a 750 or 900 but its probably worth checking the pressure relief valve has been fitted as well above the oil filter or it could result in oil starvation issues.

Stephenniall
14-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Welcome along Stephen. Regarding the oil cooler, I think it's quite possible to retro fit one from a 750 or 900 but its probably worth checking the pressure relief valve has been fitted as well above the oil filter or it could result in oil starvation issues.

Thanks Darren,

The previous owner said something about removing the side cover, and replacing a spring or something similar. Could this be the pressure relief valve you're speaking of ? How can I check if it's been fitted ?

cactus
15-07-2016, 03:53 PM
By the way, you need to get yourself a pair o' gloves. :thumbsup:

Stephenniall
16-07-2016, 06:51 PM
By the way, you need to get yourself a pair o' gloves. :thumbsup:

I have a nice pair of gloves, they were in my pocket at the time that picture was took. :)

mks
16-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Nice Bike!