PDA

View Full Version : Tyre thread ARRGGHHH!! 1200S

MotoNik
08-07-2016, 08:24 AM
The back tyre on my 1200S has squared off - 900 miles....gulp! I'm looking for advice on sports touring tyres that will actually last. I used to get around 4-5k out of a Pilot Road 4 on my Multistrada 1200, so something similar on the Monster would be good.

It might have to be something to match the original Pirelli front for now, so I was thinking an Angel ST. Does anyone have any experiences, or recommendations?

Thanks!

slob
08-07-2016, 10:26 AM
I hated the Angel when I tried it, sliding everywhere. Can't you get Pilot Road in the right profile?

MotoNik
08-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Was that the Angel ST or GT?

slob
08-07-2016, 10:29 AM
you've got me there, I don't know... they were on a 796 that I borrowed a few years ago

jonzi
08-07-2016, 11:18 AM
... It might have to be something to match the original Pirelli front for now...

I have ridden on track with mismatching tyres, im sure you'll be fine on the road.

Paul_
08-07-2016, 02:04 PM
On my second set of Angel GT's, a very good sport touring tyre.

Dirty
08-07-2016, 02:52 PM
I have ridden on track with mismatching tyres, im sure you'll be fine on the road.

:cens::biggrin:

utopia
08-07-2016, 11:39 PM
My recent tyre history has involved a couple of mismatches and if there was a problem, I couldn't detect it.
Began with PR2s and they lasted so well that the rear retained a decent profile for 6k miles .. I ran it for 7k.
Retaining the profile of the rear is, for me, the overwhelming criterion.
I then bought a pair of ex Desmodue scrubs .. Dunlop sportmax quallys .. and ran the rear with the old PR2 front for 2k miles ... no problem with the mismatch.
The Dunlop squared rather quickly though.
Then I fitted new wheels and shod them with the Dunlop front and a PR3 on the rear.
I've done 1k or so on that and again, no problem with the mismatch that I can detect .. and that includes some spirited Italian riding.
Despite all this, I would always prefer a matched pair and the front will be getting a PR3 shortly.
But I would say buy the tyre that you want and don't worry too much about a mismatch.
And also .. I reckon the PR3 is a very decent tyre for the price, over the PR4, if cost is a factor.

Mr Gazza
09-07-2016, 10:05 AM
.. and that includes some spirited Italian riding.

Didn't you get his name?....:biggrin: