PDA

View Full Version : M1200R, extended road test

slob
06-07-2016, 06:22 PM
I've recently been to Italy for the DOC World Presidents Meeting and WDW and was lucky enough to get the use of a Monster 1200R (borrowed from DRE (http://dre.ducati.it/en/?_ga=1.77456278.2088382287.1457953942)) with only a couple of thousand Km on the clock.

Those of you who know me know I've always been a desmodue rather than a desmoquattro fan, preferring the low down grunt and simplicity of the air cooled motors although we have to grudgingly accept that ever more stringent emissions regulations mean we're not now going to see any more new aircooled Monsters.

My first day of riding involved only a couple of hours in the the hills above Genova. My first impression is that it doesn't feel like it has 160hp on tap as you ease out of town, it's light to turn and well mannered even with a passenger on board and doesn't want to bite you even though it was in 'sport' mode, which is where I left it. Despite this it's obviously blisteringly fast, trying to gently hoist the front wheel as you leave red lights in a pack of like-minded nutters.
The passenger seat is considerably more slippery that the other 3rd generation Monsters but this isn't a bike that was built with a pillion in mind. The footrest are beautifully knurled items, the same as fitted to the 959 Pani' and much grippier than earlier models plus the exhaust has been redesigned so your right heel no longer catches the silencers when you move onto the ball of your foot although this never bothered me for more than a few minutes on the other models.

The following day we rode down the coast to Cinque Terre, skirting inland to avoid La Spezia. It becomes clear this bike will allow you to take some liberties. Misjudging the entry speed into hairpin bends and touching the front brake very late didn't produce any disasters and the traction control helped out from time to time when getting a bit eager with the gas whilst still carrying big lean on the exits.
Forum regulars will be delighted to know that the R has a gear position indicator. I never needed it, which is just as well, since the problem the bike shares with its sister models is that I found the dash unreadable in bright sunlight, although some of the other riders said this was less of a problem wearing polarised sunglasses.

Day three brought more of the same as we headed inland to Firenze. The bike still feeling extremely sure footed and never alarming even with the rear sliding on some of the fairly lumpy, patched surfaces on mountain roads.

slob
06-07-2016, 06:22 PM
I have to take minute out to mention the X-Diavel at this point. Slightly challenged for footrest ground clearance in the twisty bits but fitted with launch control which some of the guys tried out in the empty car park at a ski resort in the Appenines whilst we waited for the other groups of riders to catch up with us. I'm only sorry I failed to catch this on video!
Set launch control, engage first gear, give the bike full throttle and dump the clutch hard.
A sequence so at odds with an experienced rider's instinct, the first guy to try it stalled due to backing off the gas as he eased the clutch out. Once a suitable lunatic was found to demonstrate, we were treated to a flat out launch: no wheelie, no wheelspin just insane acceleration and an assault on the eardrums.

slob
06-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Entering Firenze in a pack of 20 plus Ducatis is quite an experience. The traffic makes central London look quite sedate. Passers-by encourage you rev your engine and take photos on their phones. I wish I could stay in Italy forever instead of returning to the nanny-state.

Day four: since we where taking a 250Km mountain route to cover the 30-odd Km between Firenze and Mugello my passenger decided to give the slippery seat a miss and travel in our support van, allowing me to explore the true performance of the R.
As I tried to keep up with our guide in the rush hour leaving Firenze, leant into a bend at 70KPH in a 30 zone, a suited scooter commuter comes around the outside of me on the wrong side of the solid white line, I mentioned this to one of the Italians who said "Limit? ees more a suggestion... like a red light"
Clearly a very fast bike, even two-up, solo it's a screaming psychopath: Allowing me to run near the front of a group of highly experienced riders.
The flat bars maketurning very easy, I was able to easily gap 959s out of tight uphill turns and close up on them on downhills, where the pain of clip-ons starts to become a bit of a disadvantage.
I also started to notice the the ABS kicking in due to reduced rear traction as we made our way up the Muraglione Pass.

We were given a day off at Mugello, so what would any sane person do with a set of scrubbed Supercorsas sitting in the car park? I went off and found the Futa Pass, where the factory test riders evaluate bikes. It's every bit as good as I hoped, if you ever get the chance to ride it, do so!

Our last day on the road was a less than direct route from Mugello to Misano, this clearly confused the Swiss Multistrada rider and his M821 riding companion who got caught up with our group at our first petrol stop and spent a couple of hours chasing hard through the curves and turns, heading away from their destination before they realised what was going on. The other road that UKMOC weekender regulars should try is the SS72 which skirts the North side of San Marino, it's like Fish Hill on steroids.

I spent the last couple of days at WDW, mostly using the bike as a mild mannered commuter but taking time out to visit a UKMOC dinner in Tavulia, thrash along the SP44 between Gabiche and Pesaro a couple of times and riding up the hill to Coriano to look at the Simoncelli mural. Then back up the autostrada to Bologna to return the beast to the factory. Now I just need to wait and see if I triggered any radar traps whilst the bike was in my care as I'm sure the factory will pass the fines right along,

I think the bike is seriously good looking with a slimmer seat than the other 1200s, even die hard 'original models only' fans should soften to it. The mirrors aren't too bad, the indicators are unobtrusive and the number plate bracket looks like an aftermarket tail-tidy. The pipes look and sound okay and will get through trackday noise testing. I honestly don't think I'd change anything other than maybe adding a triboseat to stop the occasional passenger from screaming when you gas it over bumps.

Massive thanks to Ducati for the loan of the bike, they've made a sale, I seriously need one of these, possibly the best Monster yet. If you haven't test ridden one yet, do it! but be warned it could get expensive...

iMOC
06-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Rob, brilliant write up, sounds like you had a blast - literally. As an owner of the 12R I agree with your thoughts on the bike. Its a top piece of kit, that does it all. Haven't stopped grinning :biggrin: since I picked it up from the dealers!

damien666
06-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Brilliant, better than reading very samey reviews at first launch. Lucky man :-)

Dirty
07-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Good one, so good that even I want a 1200R now, though mainly due to the GPI :)

Darkness
07-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Good one, so good that even I want a 1200R now, though mainly due to the GPI :)

You can't have enough Guarantee Protection Insurance on your new bike. :biggrin::biggrin:

Darkness
07-07-2016, 02:28 PM
...possibly the best Monster yet. If you haven't test ridden one yet, do it! but be warned it could get expensive...

That's a pretty big reputation to fill, but it sounds to be a hoot. :biggrin:

slob
07-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Ride one and see if you want to tell me I'm wrong...

If Wilf doesn't have a demo the Roadshow's at Blade MCs Reading on Saturday

Scott1
07-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Really enjoyed reading that! Good review, thanks for taking the time. I really must try one of the new ones, if nothing else just to compare to my ancient old beast.

MarkF
27-09-2016, 06:51 PM
I read this review, I am now a bit poorer, but the bike is everything written, and IMHO a bit more, just need to sort the rear out a bit, but its as good in the wet as the dry :)

pegboy
28-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Nice write up Slob, I was thinking of the 1200R before I brought the Hypermotard SP. After reading your report I now regret not taking it for a test ride, but there's still time to ride the 1200R