PDA

View Full Version : Monster 1100 jerky at slow speed

Jam7
23-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Hello guys - recently bought a Monster 1100 having defected to the dark side (Triumph) for a couple of years. It's very snatchy and jerky at slow speed, particularly when cold. Is this standard of the model or is there something I can do to cure it?

Cheers,
Jam

SunEye
23-06-2016, 11:33 PM
They can be a bit jerky at slow speed if you are running stock gearing, stock ECU, OEM exhaust and have not bypassed the lambda sensors. I used to find that below about 15-20mph I had to slip the clutch and anything less than 3,500rpm was rather rough. If that describes your situation then your bike is behaving normally. The good news is that it is totally resolvable.

chris.p
24-06-2016, 05:27 AM
Hi Jam, check out the following thread, it is for the 1100 evo, but same will apply, first and cheapest thing to do is put a 14th front sprocket on.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=50780

Jam7
26-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Will try the 14th front sprocket and let you know how I go.

holty
26-06-2016, 08:46 AM
The 14t sprocket option doesn't resolve the problem it just moves it to a different place. Also it increases chain ware I think?

Unfortunately you need to get the AFR sorted and the ignition timing for the best results. And the only way to do that is either a re-map or a PC

My 1100 has a re-mapped Ducati Performance ECU and it is about as smooth as it gets for a big 'L' twin. You will also benefit from a little extra power but may loose some MPG

There are plenty of threads on the forum covering this subject.

I hope this helps,

jerry
26-06-2016, 10:17 AM
I agree with Holty 14t will not solve low speed problems

Darren69
26-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Another recent thread:-

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54031

I think 14t front will increase chain wear too, its a tighter chain run for a start, and front and back should ideally have odd and even number of teeth.

jonyb
26-06-2016, 06:48 PM
same symptoms with my 796. having it re-mapped this week at hammer and tongs.

crawsue
09-07-2018, 09:14 PM
So I stuck a 14 tooth sprocket on and it makes little difference to rough running at town speeds, it does however make a big difference when "pressing on!"
Is the stock ECU adjustable? I have disconnected the exhaust valve in preparation to getting a replacement can....my local dyno guy says he only fits Powacommander units to adjust fuelling etc, beginning to feel that a fair bit of cash needs to be thrown at a problem which was built in at the factory.
On a more positive note, had a proper run from Biggar to Portpatrick in company with a new R1 and a couple of Gixer 1000s, through the twisties and Galloway forest road and then the fast A75, the 1100 Evo had no problems going with a "brisk" pace!
Just need more noise and better slow running and I'll be a happy camper.

Luddite
09-07-2018, 09:55 PM
I have disconnected the exhaust valve in preparation to getting a replacement can...

Following on from your earlier thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=56600 what did you do to stop the fault light illuminating on the dash?

my local dyno guy says he only fits Powacommander units to adjust fuelling etc,

A Powercommander is unlikely to sort the low-speed rough running while you still have the lambda sensors connected. This is because the low speed running is 'closed loop' i.e. the mixture is controlled by the lambdas; everytime the PC enrichens the mixture, the lambdas will lean it off again.

Is the stock ECU adjustable?

Not 'adjustable' as such, but it can be reflashed.

I think your most cost-effective option is to send your ECU to Neil at Cornerspeed for a Rexxer reflash. For less than the price of a PC, you'll have both the lambdas and the exhaust valve disabled together with a better map giving you smoother running. Also, as your simply reprogramming the stock ECU, there will be no external wiring to worry about.

If you go down the PC route, you'll have to find space to mount the PC itself and, if you're not doing it yourself, you'll also have to pay someone to wire it in. You'll then need to schedule some dyno time to get a custom map. Don't expect any change from £500. And after all that, the PC still won't disable the exhaust valve or the lambdas.

Have a look here for more options to achieve smoother running:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54450

Mossleymonster
09-07-2018, 10:13 PM
I had the exact same issues. They run very weak. The simplest cost effective solution is IMHO speak to Neil at Cornerspeed and arrange a remap £200 ish. You will be amazed! Then you can address the suspension issues, I recommend speaking to Teut at TW Suspension tech in Preston. He has settings ready to go for an 1100 if you weigh 80 Kg as I do.

crawsue
10-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Luddite, I bought a plug in and sorted out the dash light, as you are probably realising from my posts, I'm reluctant to throw a load of cash at what appear to be designed-in flaws..... especially when other manufacturers can get it spot on from the get-go
In my honest opinion it is only the "kudos" of Ducati ownership that explains why owners have put up with flaws like the urban riding experience..... I'm retired, but the idea of commuting on my Evo on a daily basis ,as stock, would be ghastly!
A mate has a 1050 Speed Triple (I also have a 1050 St) he lasted 10 minutes on my Evo....he said it should be re-badged "Evil"....harsh, but fair?

chris.p
10-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Luddite, I bought a plug in and sorted out the dash light, as you are probably realising from my posts, I'm reluctant to throw a load of cash at what appear to be designed-in flaws..... especially when other manufacturers can get it spot on from the get-go
In my honest opinion it is only the "kudos" of Ducati ownership that explains why owners have put up with flaws like the urban riding experience..... I'm retired, but the idea of commuting on my Evo on a daily basis ,as stock, would be ghastly!
A mate has a 1050 Speed Triple (I also have a 1050 St) he lasted 10 minutes on my Evo....he said it should be re-badged "Evil"....harsh, but fair?

Your self and your friend should give Luddite or my 1100 Evo a ride, compared to standard it is a totally differant bike, Ducati unfortunatly decided to spend it’s money on a last upgrade enginewise and also added traction control, and keep it to EU regs on emmisions etc. So suspension and town riding where down graded so to spe@k, std suspension is rubbish, I have K-Tech internals in my forks and a Wilbers fully adjustable rear shock, suspension now totally awesome. Engine wise etc I went for the Termi kit with DP ECU and filter, 14 tooth front sprocket and rexxer flash by Neil at Cornerspeed, bike is now transformed to what it should have been and will see off big Il4’s and mixes it with the fast group on track days, bliss, but I am getting too old to take full advantage of it :chuckle::mand:

crawsue
10-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Thank Chris and Luddite, I realise that Ducati had to find a stop-gap before the 1200 was introduced, the late lamented Kevin Ash was quite subjective in his initial appraisal .
But £200 for a reflash, £600ish for a decent shock and £500+ to get the forks rebuilt and that doesn't sort the end can, say £400 to make it sound right?
Let's hope my missus can find some house cleaning/laundry work!:chuckle:
Reflash is obviously the first fix, will it need flashed to a specific end can or is it a universal fix?

Luddite
10-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Reflash is obviously the first fix, will it need flashed to a specific end can or is it a universal fix?

A Rexxer remap is definitely the best value mod in my opinion. There are two maps available; one for the standard exhaust or an aftermarket end can and the other is for, what they call, a 'full system', which I think is for high flow air filters. Just speak to Neil at Cornerspeed 01623238944 http://cornerspeed.co.uk/tuning.php and let him know what your set up is and he'll decide which map is best for you.

Maggsy
10-07-2018, 08:52 PM
My 696 wasn’t too bad, but sending my ECU to Neil at Cornerspeed and fitting a 14T front sprocket totally transformed it. Nice and smooth low down, full of beans in the middle and plenty up top. (Oo-er missus)!

chris.p
10-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Fitting a 14th front sprocket does not wear the chain, but if the chain is not tensioned correctly the chain can wear the chain runner on top of the swinging arm, just keep your eye on it. My 1100 Evo has a 14th front sprocket and I have no problems. :mand:

Zimbo
11-07-2018, 05:50 PM
The remap should make a big difference, however the jerky running at low speed can and often is as a result of the throttle bodies being out of balance, worth getting them accurately balanced first or at least checked? It's a quick and easy job if you have access to a set of vacuum gauges.

chris.p
11-07-2018, 10:27 PM
The remap should make a big difference, however the jerky running at low speed can and often is as a result of the throttle bodies being out of balance, worth getting them accurately balanced first or at least checked? It's a quick and easy job if you have access to a set of vacuum gauges.

Should not be a problem with the throttle bodies, it is mainly down to the fact it is the biggest V twin air cooled they do, only 2 valves and euro emissions causing the issue, once the ecu has been flashed it will sort it out, and then either go up 2 teeth on the rear or go down to a 14 on the front to get real smooth running in town.