PDA

View Full Version : M696 F/R Sprocket Change(s)

Flying Scot
06-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Anyone here changed the front sprocket to a 14T rather than what I believe is the standard 15T OR gone up a tooth or two on the back sprocket.

If so what did you change and what was the logic and reasoning for these changes and are you happy with the result?

BigOz
06-06-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm running 15:46, I felt 14:45 would tend to rev annoyingly high at motorway speeds but I wanted to lower the gearing a little to make it a bit better around town and give it a little more pep when I wind it on. So I tried one up at the back and have not gone any further yet. From my last trip to the IoM it still won't pull to the limiter in 6th but it got closer than 15:45.

Andy

Flying Scot
06-06-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm running 15:46, I felt 14:45 would tend to rev annoyingly high at motorway speeds but I wanted to lower the gearing a little to make it a bit better around town and give it a little more pep when I wind it on. So I tried one up at the back and have not gone any further yet. From my last trip to the IoM it still won't pull to the limiter in 6th but it got closer than 15:45.

Andy

AND is it better around town?

A V Twin is all new to me and it is about as far from a V Four VFR 750 as it is possible to get or even my 400/4.

I find I am in about two gears lower that what I expected if I want anything like smooth running/riding in town. Third gear at 30 and Second for urban roundabouts, no really slow speed riding unless the clutch is slipped otherwise it feels like the engine is about to exit the frame, similarly accelerate firmly to get into a smooth running rev range quickly.

Just a different mindset for me riding the monster and something I need to get used to really. For sure it is not lacking in poke around town.

Hopefully Mway miles are not going to feature a lot now that I brought her up the M1,M6 and the M74 on her way to her new home. From my limited experience top speed is HP limited and a lower gearing might make her go little faster at the expense of more revs, I am not looking for that...... Also I don't find she lacks any grunt on the twisty bits exiting the corner, not that I am a knee down guy and not as yet ever done a track day.

On start up my bike comes up with UK RACING {mode?} is that a higher rev limit?

Also on my way back home from Lundinium I ended up tail end charlie in a five bike very fast line astern run from the border back to Motherwell some 70+ miles. The bike in front of me was one of these BMW S1000RR flying machines (I can understand why he was not leading the group) and while I am sure he was taking things easy and not anywhere like flat out or maxing his acceleration when we got held up my lane hogging car drivers the wee monster was not embarrassed in any way whatsoever. Smother riding around town would be my aim IF i were to change drop the gearing a bit.

I need two more cylinders really but then the sounds of the V Twin are lovely.

BigOz
07-06-2016, 07:06 AM
The gearing helped a little at low speed by keeping engine RPM up a touch helping to hide the real issue. The stock ECU gives horrible lumpy drive under about 4k RPM, the racing ECU does not have the euro emissions compromises (not too sure about other changes) and pulls a bit more smoothly at low RPM but the best solution is a full remap mine has now lost the low speed judder.

Flying Scot
07-06-2016, 07:43 AM
The gearing helped a little at low speed by keeping engine RPM up a touch helping to hide the real issue. The stock ECU gives horrible lumpy drive under about 4k RPM, the racing ECU does not have the euro emissions compromises (not too sure about other changes) and pulls a bit more smoothly at low RPM but the best solution is a full remap mine has now lost the low speed judder.

MMMMM yes under 4K it does feel like a lumpy single cylinder motor doubly so from about 2k with the clutch out and at low speeds asking for a bit of grunt, that initial pick up is fairly horrible.

Certainly the exhaust is smelly when you park it up in the garage with the engine running

utopia
07-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Its probably better to go up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket rather than down to 14T on the front.
The effect will be less marked (down 1 on the front equals roughly up 3 on the rear) and the chain prefers bigger sprockets.
That said, I went up 2 teeth on the rear of my 750 and didn't like it because it made the engine rev out too early at higher speeds in top gear.
Different bike of course, having a bit less power, only 5 gears and carbs, but not that different.
Riding the monster is a different mindset to a multi and you might find that you prefer the std gearing once everything clicks.
I've actually gone the other way now ... one tooth less on the rear.
I nearly always dip the clutch slightly on slow turns around town, rather than chug lumpily.
Well set up fuelling certainly helps, whether carbs or injection.
In the end its a characteristic of the engine and personally, I enjoy riding the torque rather than screaming and I think that the long gearing suits the bike.

Flying Scot
07-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Its probably better to go up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket rather than down to 14T on the front.
The effect will be less marked (down 1 on the front equals roughly up 3 on the rear) and the chain prefers bigger sprockets.
That said, I went up 2 teeth on the rear of my 750 and didn't like it because it made the engine rev out too early at higher speeds in top gear.
Different bike of course, having a bit less power, only 5 gears and carbs, but not that different.
Riding the monster is a different mindset to a multi and you might find that you prefer the std gearing once everything clicks.
I've actually gone the other way now ... one tooth less on the rear.
I nearly always dip the clutch slightly on slow turns around town, rather than chug lumpily.
Well set up fuelling certainly helps, whether carbs or injection.
In the end its a characteristic of the engine and personally, I enjoy riding the torque rather than screaming and I think that the long gearing suits the bike.

Thanks for that feedback I totally agree its a mindset thing and ATM it does feel 'strange' TO HAVE TO feather the clutch.

Really I have not many urban miles on her yet plus I am not a big fan of trying to out-think the designers in cars, bikes, boats and planes.

I may just throw a new chain on her and not worry about changing the sprockets at this point in time and leave the changing the sprocket size (if ever) to a time when I have much more time in the saddle.

I did a IAM observation ride out last week and the bike was totally happy as was I, except at one point on an uphill left hand turn T junction when I needed a little more bite from the clutch and then we had the truly horrible lumpy lumpy stuff as it pulled away.

I don't think I have been anywhere near the rev limiter except once when I gave her her head in second gear also I doubt if the front wheel was still on the ground :eek:. Also probably on the run from the borders to Motherwell when I was a wee bit busy to look at the number on the dash.

I have her for the freedom, the sunny days and getting about easier and quicker, I am a bit old to be a hooligan on a bike now though I suppose age has nothing to do with that really.

I love the grunt/torque and the bark from the exhaust and on the overrun and having lusted after a monster since the first one came out I am quite happy with the M696.

Some new bits on the way to make her MY Wee Monster. Also I will probably do a track day or two to re-hone my cornering skills on the twisty bits without having to worry about lunatic car drivers and farmers with silly big tractors on lovely wee twisty roads.