PDA

View Full Version : oh no not a tyre thread !!

uncle duke
03-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Hi i'd like some advice , my s2r has pirelli diablo rosso II's fitted at the mo & the rear is squaring off & needs replacing the front is fine.Now the diablo is a sports tyre & i'd like to change to sports/touring as i do a fair few A road miles , if i change the rear to say an angel st would it be ok not to change the front & run odd pirelli tyres of course in an ideal world i'd change both & an looking at michelin road pilot 4's but as i dont thrash around & scrape the pegs at every opportunity would mixing tyres be ok until i change both together in the future ? there seems to be yes its fine done it for years with no problem & no dont even think of mixing tyres schools of thought.any advice on mixing & suitable tyres would be great.
thanks
roger

Paul_
03-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Although not ideal, mixing a Rosso 2 front and Angel GT rear is fine, I definately would not mix tyres from different brands though. Guys running Michelins do run a pilot power front with pilot road rears and seen to like it.

Replacing both isn't too expensive, I've just bought brand new set of Angel GT for £168 delivered! Only tyre I've bought a 2nd set of, they impressed me that much with mileage and grip. Don't need anything else if you only ride on the road, my last set lasted 7000 miles of 'spirited' road miles. They were absolutely knackered in the end. Whatever you do new tyre's always feel great.

utopia
03-06-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm currently running odd tyres ... Michelin PR3 rear, Dunlop sportmax qualifier front.
I've only done 6 or 700 miles on them so far but I certainly haven't noticed anything untoward.
My last pairing was a Dunlop ditto rear and a PR2 front.
Likewise, no worries.
Ok, they weren't massively aggressive miles but they were a tad "spirited".
Ideally I would always match front and rear but I think there is much misinformation about the horrors of not doing so.

But, another idea...
The Michelin PR3 is a very decent tyre and comes in at a worthwhile reduction on the PR4s
Maybe a pair of 3s is an affordable option ?
Go on, just think .. beginning of june, new rubber front and rear .. you know you want to. :)

I fit my own and find that Oponeo are about the cheapest.

Btw, double compound PR2s resisted squaring off for ages on my 750 ... the rear was still reasonable after 6000 miles, and I ran it for 7.
I do avoid motorways whenever possible though.

Dukedesmo
03-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Coincidentally I have been using Diablo II's on mine and whilst I have no complaints on the grip, the rear doesn't even make 3,000 miles before it's through to the cords yet they fare reasonably well on my 916 which has an extra 30hp but obviously the Monster has less finesse as it shreds them, along with rear sprockets!

As such I have just fitted an Angel GT rear with the Diablo II front, not done many miles on them yet but no problems so far...

Stinger101
04-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Uncle, You will have no bother or ill handling effects from mixing your two mentioned tyres. It's actually a pretty good set up for road riding.