PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to swap silencers?

27-02-2004, 08:00 PM
I've got hi-level, carbon Sil Moto jobbies on my M900Sie and have to say they are a bit loud for my taste. Anybody out there got any quieter, maybe raod legal hi-level jobs they'd want to swap with me? Money either way sort of thing. Just a thought.

Alternative is to sell them and buy new ones. Anyone interested in buying?

Billy Bigwheels
28-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Got a set of low level, oval carbon leo vinci (legal) exhausts if you wanna do a deal proto

capnjapseye
28-02-2004, 12:17 PM
What would you accept for the cans?

I have a M900ie Metallic (2003) - I assume they would fit!

Any pics?

28-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks peeps, but Johnypebs has just offered me some db killers and I'll have a play with those before I do anything drastic.

I'm a bit surprised how loud they area as the chap who sold me the bike thought they were low noise, almost road legal, jobbies. Cant detect any internal baffling in them though, although the outlet hole is quite small. :confused:

capnjapseye
28-02-2004, 03:45 PM
OK - let me know if you decide to sell the pipes.

Dark-Jon
28-02-2004, 04:10 PM
I had this with my bike. To me, when Im on the bike, they sound REALLY LOUD! especially around town. When i first put them on, i thought I would have to get some DB Killers else it was a race to see if I'd go deaf before the rozza's got me :rolleyes:

Wasn't till I got my parents and girlfriend to listen to it and they said it wasn't that much louder than standard, just the basier noise made it seem more penetrating (ooh er). Get someone (that you know) to hold/sit on your bike whilst you walk a little way from it. I did this and its not as loud as i think whilst riding it, wierd

I've got carbon cans and there are definately no baffles in there anywhere! I've also found that once I'm up to 40mph+ the exhaust note seems to calm down alot and its only in town I think Im gonna get a headache

DB Killers can take upto 15db off of an exhaust, but that is apparently at best.

I've found its like the whole 'heavy on the wrist' issue of the riding position, the more you ride the more you get used to it :D

its up to you though at the end of the day, try the DB Killers and see if it makes a difference, which they should do...else they'd be pretty pointless...really....

Dark-Jon :)

Billy Bigwheels
28-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Just help out the ignorant here please. Where can I get a pair of db killers, how much are they and do they fit all cans?

I've got a set of unstamped Termis which are just too loud for my fragile ears although they do sound beautiful.

PS If anyone wants to but the Leo's send me a PM.

johnypebs
28-02-2004, 06:15 PM
I had an 'e' stamped Akrapovic can on my gsx1400, it was just a full race Akra' can with a db reducer bolted in. The reducer must be available as a spare so maybe you could try an Akrapovic supplier.
ps. the ones I'm sending to proto I removed from my 85db Sils, they were only held in with a couple of blobs of weld.

Billy Bigwheels
28-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Cheers johnypebs - theres an Akrapovic dealer not far from where I work - i'll check it out.

Dark-Jon
28-02-2004, 06:54 PM
http://www.performanceracingparts.co.uk/

I found them here, £15 (each, i think) about the cheapest place I've found on the web (I'm too lazy to actually go to a shop)

Dark-Jon :)

Billy Bigwheels
28-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Top man DJ - thanks for that.

McMONSTRO
28-02-2004, 08:09 PM
You could always try some of these!

http://www.earplugs.gb.com/earplugs.html

This way your pipes can be as quiet/noisy as you like!...cheaper too!...And if you get stopped by Plod, and he's offended by your noisy pipes, reach into your pocket and offer him a pair :D Problem solved!!!

McMonstro