PDA

View Full Version : Evo eccentric chain adjustment?

Stanley
25-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Hi Folks,

I've recently bought an 1100 Evo, and find the handling is slightly "unusual".

I've begun to suspect that the rear wheel's eccentric adjuster may be in the wrong plane. ie. should the rear wheel spindle be in the top half of the arc, or the bottom half of the arc?
Put a different way; should turning the adjustment ring clockwise tighten, or loosen, the chain?
I'm suspecting that having the spindle in the wrong half will drastically alter the head, rake and castor angles.

Trackday next Tuesday, so I want it right!

Many Thanks

Dukedesmo
25-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Don't know about M1100 but on a 916 type swingarm the wheel spindle should be in the lower rear section, usually between 4 and 6 o' clock. If you adjust it unto the upper section the chain will actually cut into the chain guard and interfere with the swingarm.

I would guess the 1100 is similar, i.e. if it's in the wrong section it will be obvious...

Luddite
25-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Anti-clockwise tightens the chain.

Chain slack is 61-63mm measured from the centre of the chain pins to the swinging arm.

Make sure you don't over tighten the two pinch bolts; they should be 31Nm after greasing the threads and under the heads with molybdenum grease. Tighten left-right-left.

Hope that helps.

SunEye
25-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Anti-clockwise tightens the chain.
On the M1100evo it is definitely clockwise to tighten the chain.

Stanley
25-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The owners' manual echoes what you guys are suggesting,
"Turn counter clockwise to tighten the chain; clockwise to loosen (from chain side)."

That would put the wheel axle in the lower arc. On my bike the wheel axle is in the upper arc, however; everything else looks right: Chain tension, hugger clearance, side stand angle, etc.

Puzzled, I've investigated further. I've now found a genuine Ducati reassembly guide that clearly shows the axle in the upper arc.... so mine is ok. I guess the M1100 must be different to other models?
And the owners' manual is wrong?!

Thanks again

Luddite
25-05-2016, 08:41 PM
On the M1100evo it is definitely clockwise to tighten the chain.

I adjusted my chain three days ago and it's definitely counter-clockwise to tighten as per both the owners' and workshop manuals. Anyway, there's one way to confirm it - just try it yourself!

You say your diagram shows the axle in the upper arc but my spares catalogue shows it in the lower left quadrant.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/vincebessant/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20160525_0002_zpst4hwnbg3.jpg (http://s873.photobucket.com/user/vincebessant/media/Mobile%20Uploads/wp_ss_20160525_0002_zpst4hwnbg3.jpg.html)

Has your chain been replaced? Perhaps the hub was rotated in error when the chain was changed? If your axle is above the centre line, wouldn't that have the effect of slowing down the steering?

As I say, try adjusting your chain and see which direction tightens it. If it is counter-clockwise, then it would appear everything is as it should be...

Saint aka ML
25-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Word of warning never fully trust Italian translation. Found errors and total gibberish in 2015 hyper manual lol

SunEye
26-05-2016, 04:16 AM
I adjusted my chain three days ago and it's definitely counter-clockwise to tighten as per both the owners' and workshop manuals. Anyway, there's one way to confirm it - just try it yourself!
I am happy to be wrong - I apologise if my mistake has caused any confusion. I was just going by my memory of adjusting the chains on my M1100 and M1100evo. I also checked a previous thread on this forum which said clockwise and two videos on YouTube which showed a Multistrada and M796 being turned clockwise to tighten the chain.

I have subsequently found a YouTube video of an S4R chain adjustment which is counterclockwise to tighten. So clearly not all Ducati eccentric chain adjusters turn the same way to tighten the chain. Which in hindsight is reinforced by the Ducati technician in the Multistrada video saying that you turn it in whichever direction tightens the chain, as he was giving a generic demonstration of Ducati chain adjustment.

Cobra88
26-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Checked mine and two mates
All have spindle at top of arc

If you have spindle in lower arc the chain will eat the upper swinging arm protector in short order
I maintain about a dozen 1100's and evo's and all have spindle at the top.

Sounds like a few people have them wrong way but Afaik you can't turn the eccentric 360 degrees as the brake plate pin only allows about half a turn before it runs out of slot.

Regards
Rick

Luddite
26-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Checked mine and two mates
All have spindle at top of arc

Well I'm confused! I've looked at mine and, as Rick says, the axle is at the top (shown clearly on this eBay arm)

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/vincebessant/Mobile%20Uploads/C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Tem p_Saved%20Images__32_zpsesjxrouj.jpg (http://s873.photobucket.com/user/vincebessant/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Tem p_Saved%20Images__32_zpsesjxrouj.jpg.html)

And yet I still have to turn the adjuster anti-clockwise to tighten the chain! How does that work?!?

Perhaps in this case, the word "eccentric" means "weird" rather than "off centre"!