PDA

View Full Version : 821 advice

Red Eye
24-05-2016, 12:57 PM
I had a Monster S4 from 2001 to 09. Was a member way back then but have just re-joined.

I have had other bikes and scooters since but when I saw the 821 Stripe and read the specs I was hooked. Just had a test ride today and was not instantly wowed. The pegs were high for me, or my legs are too stiff - quite likely at my age! The engine was rougher than I expected but improved on Sport setting.

How have other 821 owners found the model? Any advice would be welcome.

Nottsbiker
24-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Sounds like you need a Diavel :)

Maybe consider some after market footrests that are adjustable for height?

MarkF
24-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Fits me just right but 5'8" with a 29" inside leg, I moved over from a 1200GS on which an hour in the seat was the most I could do without a break and I got pins and needles in my right hand and wrist ache too, no such problems on the 821. Yep its a bit lumpy around town but keeping the engine revs high its as smooth and nippy as a smooth nippy thing. Love the slipper clutch on the down shifts too.

But I am only 53 ;)

Red Eye
25-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Thanks both. I have decided to try another dealer and see how another 821 compares. I have looked at after market footrests and a touring seat which is 25mm higher. A Ducati isn't just for Christmas.

MarkF
25-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Just a thought, make sure the seat was in the high position, it has two heights about an inch difference.

Red Eye
26-05-2016, 09:08 AM
I did check and the seat height of the demo was at its highest! Thanks

markh
26-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Sounds like you need a Diavel :)

That was exactly the same thought I had. 😄
I had a demo on a Diavel yesterday. Blimey!

Red Eye
28-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Tested another Monster and it was so different! Consequently I have picked up my new 821 Stripe today fro On Yer Bike. Definitely a case of more money/finance than sense as it has lots of extras!
Considering my early posts I had the seat lowered and no problems at all with the pegs. Love the feeling of sitting in the bike.

See some of you over the next few months?

MarkF
28-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the Stripe ownership :)

I have just had mine degreased, valeted, anti corrosion treated and venture shielded, looks newer than the day I picked it up and it only has a 1k on the clock.

Red-handed
29-06-2016, 04:34 PM
821 Stripe rules! Peg height suits me fine at 5'10". The only problem for me is that I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs so the heel of my right foot is touching the cans. The beautiful thumping engine can be a bit lumpy around town, so clutch control is necessary, but the incredible sound of the engine echoing off the buildings easily makes up for it.