PDA

View Full Version : S4RS with full Termis, too loud for track day without baffles?

ValiantBoy
13-05-2016, 12:36 PM
I have my first track day on my S4RS at Brands Hatch coming up, noise limit of 102db. I'm currently running without baffles in a full Termi setup; just wondering if anyone knows for sure if it would fail the noise test without the baffles in?

I'll take them anyway, but if it's definitely gonna fail, I will put them in before I leave for the track.

Cheers,
Dave.

boris
13-05-2016, 01:09 PM
How about one of these? http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mini-sound-level-meter-n33gj It's not exactly 'state of art' kit, but it gives you an idea of how much pleasure you're creating.

J.P
13-05-2016, 01:26 PM
I'd put very good money on it failing the noise test. Put the baffles in and don't worry about it.
The noise tests across the UK tracks is getting tougher and tougher.

J.P
13-05-2016, 01:27 PM
What date are you doing at Brands ?

ValiantBoy
13-05-2016, 01:38 PM
How about one of these? http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mini-sound-level-meter-n33gj It's not exactly 'state of art' kit, but it gives you an idea of how much pleasure you're creating.

Thanks, Boris; might try a few apps on the iphone, see what kind of readings I get.

ValiantBoy
13-05-2016, 01:42 PM
What date are you doing at Brands ?

Thursday 14 July, evening session, Indy circuit, 75 quid. Still places available, hint hint!

Going with a few other Ducati owners from work (BMW in Farnborough).

J.P
13-05-2016, 02:13 PM
The apps are a pretty good guide, but the noise testers at these tracks are the law. :)
You will need the baffles.

Should be a nice summers evening for your (two ?) sessions.
Be very careful of the left into Graham Hill bend, left side of the tire is always cooler.

ValiantBoy
13-05-2016, 02:45 PM
yeah, I'll put them in, not worth the hassle otherwise.

Yep, weary of that one left hander where all the others are rights; TBH, I'm just going to take it easy (famous last words), been to the track viewing loads of times, just want to have a go, tick the track off, and have a blast with the monster on track. I think the lap record will be safe!

jonzi
13-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Be very careful of the left into Graham Hill bend, left side of the tire is always cooler.

I've crashed there (amongst other places)

Mark64
13-05-2016, 07:02 PM
My s4r (stretta engine) has full 50mm termi system and without baffles is 'only' 95 decibels - measured on an accurate noise meter.
Hope this helps - or take the baffles with you & try them with & without.
Have fun either way - Mark

jerry
13-05-2016, 09:38 PM
you can get apps for ur phone that are pretty accurate I use one often

jonzi
13-05-2016, 09:42 PM
The noise meter might be accurate but is the man doing the testing?

If he doesn't hold the meter at the same angle and distance you'll probably get a different reading.

If he has a wall right behind the exhaust it will measure different.

Apprently Panigales are told to lean the bike over to the left so that the noise doesn't bounce back on the metre from the ground.

Pull your clutch in if its a dry one, warm the bike up before testing (though if riding there that probably wont be a problem)

And if you do fail, take a ball of wire wall, throw that down the can, put the baffle back.

Once tested, take the baffle out and rev the engine, the wire wall will pop out, and baffle back in, you probably won't set of the drive by meters.

slob
14-05-2016, 04:31 AM
I reckon not a chance it'll pass at BH without baffles, having had my 1000DS measured at three MSV tracks. 101-103dB open, 97 with dB killers in. Brands was always unkindest. Make sure the engine is good and warm before testing, also pull the clutch lever in to quieten any additional rattling during measurement.

Unit 18
14-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Drive by at Brands is on the approach to Druids, right hand side near the bridge.

Flip
14-05-2016, 08:13 PM
I'll echo Jonzi's words regarding the chap testing the bikes- they certainly vary in their approach.

Also agree with Slob- Brands is one of the (if not THE) strictest for noise limits- Pannigale's and the cross plane crank R1's fail on standard pipes.

I was told not to bring my little Ducati 250 racer back there on a track day despite it meeting ACU limits for racing (it's way quieter than a Manx Norton or a G50). Luckily for me it is qualified testers with the meters on race days so it's okay.

Not only is Graham Hill bend a left hander but it's also off camber. Also don't turn in too early (aim for the Marshall's post until you see the exit) of Paddock Hill bend else you risk running wide- it does feel like you're about to fly off the end of the world though!!

Most of all build up to it, remember you have to ride home and ENJOY IT!!!

slob
15-05-2016, 06:39 AM
...Brands is one of the (if not THE) strictest for noise limits...

Castle Coombe

ValiantBoy
18-05-2016, 06:38 PM
I got invited to the Ducati demo day on Friday at Snetterton, so will get the Monster tested there, with and without the baffles, to be sure to be sure.

Thanks for all the advise and help, much appreciated. I'll report back on the readings from Snetterton.

slob
21-05-2016, 02:45 PM
... how loud was it?

ValiantBoy
21-05-2016, 07:44 PM
And the results! May I have the envelope please.

Drum roll.....

No baffles: 107db (gulp)

quick rummage in the bag for baffles and tools...

baffles in: 99db (phew)

Test at 5500rpm, I was under the impression it was 5000 for 1000 twin, but still would have failed at that.

Great day though; got to ride the Monster 1200R. Awesome bike, needs a bit of noise though. Also rode the Enduro and XDiavel on road, and the 959 and 1299 on track (as well as taking my S4RS out for a session too). 959 was an absolute peach, if I could get it passed the wife I'd have one in the garage.

slob
22-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Did you get the 1299S or the 'regular' one? the S is bizarre: hauling on the brakes and having almost no perceptable dive. Absolutely barking after the 899, I haven't tried a 959 yet.

As far as I remember MSV have always tested at 5K on my 1000

Dukedesmo
22-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Test at 5500rpm, I was under the impression it was 5000 for 1000 twin, but still would have failed at that.

How do they judge the RPM, presumably from the rev counter?

Just curious as my Translogic dash has a configurable rev counter which is set to suit the number of cylinders/how it is connected and if it is on the wrong setting then it would read a different number.

Not saying anyone would or should do this but a few presses of the programming button could have it showing 50% higher than actual RPM... :rolleyes:

ValiantBoy
22-05-2016, 06:28 PM
As far as I can tell, they just take a peek at your rev counter, second time round I kept it at 5k; he didn't ask me to up it or do it again.

ValiantBoy
22-05-2016, 06:36 PM
They were 1299S; They brought them all over from Italy in a big truck(dash was in kms); the 959s were California Superbike School bikes.

Loved the auto blipper on the 1299S; but the quick shifter was really jerky, once it threw me out of the seat on the back straight. Didn't hear anyone else complain about it though, wonder if I wasn't booting it hard enough or at the right angle, was pinning the throttle so things were happening pretty quickly!!

Loved the 959 though; if I was going to commit to more track days I would seriously consider one, you could just get on with going as fast you can and improving your riding without thinking about how to ride the bike - hard to explain. And the confidence was there from the very first corner.

Stafford
23-05-2016, 06:47 AM
I've crashed there (amongst other places)

No **** Sherlock!