PDA

View Full Version : Garage attack

Dirty
11-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Got a call from the police the other night to say there had been an attempted break in at my garage. I had an 'up and over' garage door and they hammered off the top locks then used 4 scooters to ram the door open. Great technique which would have worked well and quickly if not for something I had done inside which slowed them down enough for them to be spotted by a neighbour who called the police. They shot off empty handed thankfully.

You can see the 4 scooter tyre marks and the left side totally broken off

http://s19.postimg.org/n70o20wur/IMG_4881.jpg

The door was left jammed in the opening. I couldn't get in until the next day when I had to lever the bottom open and crawl in

http://s19.postimg.org/3u9rvr783/IMG_4882a.jpg

1 emergency delivery of plywood, 200 screws and a security guard later

http://s19.postimg.org/6zudlypub/IMG_4890.jpg

slob
11-05-2016, 12:04 PM
&@#%ing scumbags!

Flip
11-05-2016, 12:28 PM
What a bunch of W⚓️'s!!

Ursa
11-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Aww is that your dog?

On a serious note, are you able to find another garage? Those "urchins" know where the sweetie shop is now, and may come back.

J.P
11-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Jeez.
You need big locks in each corner to stock them peeling a corner back and crawling in.

jonzi
11-05-2016, 01:53 PM
something I had done inside which slowed them down

What had you done? If super sekrit, can you PM me the detz?

jonzi
11-05-2016, 01:54 PM
And fecking azzholes. Hope your dog eats em

FLATTOP
11-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Sorry to see this Dirty one of the reasons I moved out of the East End years ago too many thieving F#cks.

What you need is one of these in the past Farmers and Gamekeepers have been known to use live cartridges.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BISLEY-GAUGE-BURGLARS-INTRUDERS-SECURITY/dp/B0049ACMC6

willber
11-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Usually they peel the corners outwards on doors like this, that's how my mountain bike got nicked!

I have a Hormann 2002 with 4 point locking, alarm, CCTV and a door defender on now.

damien666
11-05-2016, 04:33 PM
An idea for your new door.
I used these for bottom corners
http://i66.tinypic.com/jpyikn.jpg
And one of these at bottom centre
http://i66.tinypic.com/aw553o.jpg
Can be fastened through to a thick piece of flat plate on back to be even stronger.

Mr Gazza
11-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Tsk!....Little scallywags......Cut thier eyelids off.

Nickj
11-05-2016, 05:27 PM

What a moderate reaction .. I'd go a little lower with a very blunt and rusty blade ;)

Darkness
11-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Bar stewards.
The worry is having got in, they'll probably be back for another go once things quieten down.
Do you have power there? If yes, a very very loud alarm would discourage them from going inside.

Albie
11-05-2016, 07:17 PM
An idea for your new door.
I used these for bottom corners
http://i66.tinypic.com/jpyikn.jpg
And one of these at bottom centre
http://i66.tinypic.com/aw553o.jpg
Can be fastened through to a thick piece of flat plate on back to be even stronger.

Yes I have them too. Sorry to see not only the mess they left you in but also the dilemma. Everyones done the swearing but I feel exactly the same. :Furious::Furious::Furious:

slob
11-05-2016, 07:24 PM
It can be a bit of a catch22, nothing attracts a thief's attention like a big shiny new lock.

Dirty
11-05-2016, 08:50 PM
I think those corner locks work well with the old peeling method that Wilbur mentions but would be useless with this ramming one. Ramming the middle pulls the side locks out, ramming the side pushes them back and breaks the door off the hinge. I'm thinking a nice heavy scaffolding bar locked across the front of the garage would prevent ramming. Or even better locked across inside so they ram and end up head butting the top of the door frame!

No chance of changing garage Ursa, and anyway you can't hide forever. The council are coming to replace soon. I'll assess what they give me and either beef it up or buy a whole new heavy security door that can't easily be opened. Yes a lot of security will draw attention but most crimes are lazy and will pick easier targets. Sad,y no power in the garage so alarms are off the table and the dog don't wanna live there!

I was double lucky as I have over £800 worth of chains, locks and ground anchors, none of which were attached to bikes, oops! You get lazy over time, I won't make that mistake again!

Ursa
11-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Mmm I've read about some sort of an alarm you can run off a car battery, although you'd probably have to charge it every week or so. Or run off a solar panel, although am sure the little gits would nick that too and head straight to Smack Converters with it. :scratch:

Paul_
12-05-2016, 06:31 AM
http://autolok.myshopify.com/collections/gargage-security/products/autolok-stoppa

This is a great option as part of any garage security package.

willber
12-05-2016, 07:16 AM
You can get Yale wireless alarms which run on battery power, they are about £160. I have one on garage and house. Easy to fit and works really well. I have door contacts on each bottom corner of the door and 2 PIR inside also.

utopia
12-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear about the attack, but happy that it was thwarted.
It just goes to show that the oft quoted line that if they want it they'll nick it no matter what you do is an unhelpful and defeatist attitude.

The irony is that, had they managed to nick the monster, they would have had absolutely no idea of the true value of the front wheel bearing spacer. ;)
Its the loss of that kind of sentimental stuff that is the worst thing about such attacks.
There would be months of work involved if I had to remake all of the little one off bits and pieces on my bike.

Padlock the door to the frame in the bottom corners ?
Smart bombs ???

damien666
12-05-2016, 09:30 AM
It can be a bit of a catch22, nothing attracts a thief's attention like a big shiny new lock.

Very true. I take it dirty's got no side access door. Managed to mount mine from the inside.

Claude
12-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Scumbags! Glad they went away empty handed.
And a stark reminder that I should beef my own setup.

Dirty
12-05-2016, 04:49 PM
No, no side access sadly. I do like the shotgun cartridge alarms but knowing me and my tendency to set off all the current alarms I have it would cost me a fortune in cartridges, accelerate my deafness and this being London, bring me to the attention of SO19!

jerry
12-05-2016, 05:23 PM

No thats too lenient , cut of their ****s , noses ears and thumbs and make them permanent public slaves

Mr Gazza
12-05-2016, 05:34 PM
No thats too lenient , cut of their ****s , noses ears and thumbs and make them permanent public slaves

What a moderate reaction .. I'd go a little lower with a very blunt and rusty blade ;)

I think it is a measured response.

The operation should take place under anesthetic and pain killers offered afterwards.

Then I would occasionally take them out for rides in an open topped sports car, go kite flying on a sandy beach in the wind, give them electric welding demos in my hall of mirrors and afterwards they could help me chop the onions for big smokey old BBQ.

But if the little scamps re-offended, I would need to remove their ears so they couldn't wear glasses.

maxxjod
12-05-2016, 07:09 PM
If you had power to the garage you could have done what a local garage did. After a spate of break ins they decided to electrify the garage doors by adding electric fence style wires on the outside, the workshop was on a farm so they 'needed' to stop livestock from entering the building, the scum bags broke in again. So the owners of the workshop hooked the doors up directly to the mains, the 415v three phase mains!, the scum bags once again tried to brake in and literally got the shock of their lives, one of them had major burns and was lucky to survive being electrocuted. The owner of the garage got a major bollocking from the police, however it was 'found' that the transformer for the electric fence had malfunctioned causing the fence to become live with mains.

jerry
12-05-2016, 07:22 PM
scaphisem is a good punishment takes up to 10 days to die ,

garry
12-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Could you have a word with the council and offer to pay extra for an upgraded door? ?

Dirty
13-05-2016, 12:38 AM
Could you have a word with the council and offer to pay extra for an upgraded door? ?

Yes, that is the route I'm going to go down if what they offer doesn't impress me. I've sourced a door from a company that supplies a neighbouring council so fingers crossed.....

jerry
13-05-2016, 11:18 AM
hope the next door is less vulnerable ,

Darkness
13-05-2016, 01:27 PM

So put a conspicuous one on the garage two along that has nothing in it?

Saint aka ML
13-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Dirty sorry to see that and you are lucky.

I know everybody ditches ideas.

Well from me, get a old boat battery and a solar powered battery charger or two.

That should be slowly topping it up.

Then connect a very loud alarm to it, alarm that has its own battery so if they quickly disconnect it still runs.

Best is odd sounding alarm like old style school bells as they proper annoy people.

Thing number two I would do on my own garage is two braces on inside that I put up before closing the door.

They would be just inside so doors rest on them. Each end going quite a fair bit in to ground wall so it can not be rammed out.

Then a U style lock to lock doors to it.

And get a tracker

Dirty
13-05-2016, 06:13 PM
No, thanks for all the suggestions, not just for me but for anyone with a garage. No matter where it is a bit of extra security is never a wasted investment.

This is the sort of door I'm looking to replace it with, plus a few bespoke additions.

http://s32.postimg.org/66nz39wp1/image.png

Mr Gazza
13-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Wow!... Looks formidable.

But whats stopping me cutting the hinge pins with my cordless grinder in under 60 seconds?

Saint aka ML
13-05-2016, 08:21 PM

But whats stopping me cutting the hinge pins with my cordless grinder in under 60 seconds?

Exactly.

Hinges on inside, one door should be possible to almost permanently lock even if only from inside so that you leave one side as weaker point, flush lock as that one is possible to cut away

Dirty
13-05-2016, 09:19 PM

Nothing, but if you are organised enough to bring a cordless grinder you are gonna bring whatever tools are necessary to defeat any door aren't you :rolleyes:

I doubt my bikes are enough of a draw to attract that level of professionalism anyway. I'm looking to defeat a few local chavs on scooters and I reckon that should do it. I've still got the almax's and squires to slow anyone who does get in down. I'll be using them from now on :dunce:

Dirty
13-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Exactly.

Hinges on inside, one door should be possible to almost permanently lock even if only from inside so that you leave one side as weaker point, flush lock as that one is possible to cut away

I was thinking about just having a small door, wide enough for a bike and having the rest of the opening either permanently or semi permanently closed up.

jerry
13-05-2016, 09:42 PM
claymore mine on the inside facing out with trip wire

garry
13-05-2016, 10:18 PM
claymore mine on the inside facing out with trip wire

just a tad over the top maybe ?

Aviatore
14-05-2016, 07:33 AM
Been following your garage attack Dirty, so glad they didn't get anything.

I'm going to have to look into re-enforcing the door now that attracting more attention by riding again. The standard over the top doors really seem to be for show more than anything.

Would you pm me details on your super secret devices which helped to keep them out?

Saint aka ML
14-05-2016, 07:40 AM
I was thinking about just having a small door, wide enough for a bike and having the rest of the opening either permanently or semi permanently closed up.

Yep less impact points and then bar across the 2nd to keep from being pushed in

Mr Gazza
14-05-2016, 09:58 AM
if you are organised enough to bring a cordless grinder you are gonna bring whatever tools are necessary to defeat any door aren't you :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have to be all that organised at all, that sort of kit is commonplace now and easily available from sheds, workshops and builders vans everywhere.

We've had a brilliant little cordless grinder at work for a while now. with a thin cutting disc it will go through any metal at amazing speed and accuracy...Quiet too.!

But I don't wish come over as being scaremongering or worry gutting. it's just that now is the time to fit the best kit, learning from experience.

I had a theft of some tools when I was building one of my garages...Okay I hadn't got the doors on and I left the tools inside...The tools were used to nick a big car, which was used to nick a big caravan..!

Anyways..I had a visit from the local Crime Prevention Officer, who gave me no end of advise about how to make the garage more secure...Stuff you would never think of.
I remember him saying how you can make window bars from box section steel with rod inside the box, floating about all loose...It whirls round inside when the grinding wheel hits it and might even break the wheel if it's an angled cut..stuff like that, that's easy to do when you are installing new anyway.

I don't know if you would get a visit from a Crime Prevention Officer as a matter of course in your area, but it's worth asking and making an appointment...You'll learn a lot of sensible stuff for free.

Dirty
17-05-2016, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't have to be all that organised at all, that sort of kit is commonplace now and easily available from sheds, workshops and builders vans everywhere.

We've had a brilliant little cordless grinder at work for a while now. with a thin cutting disc it will go through any metal at amazing speed and accuracy...Quiet too.!

But I don't wish come over as being scaremongering or worry gutting. it's just that now is the time to fit the best kit, learning from experience.

I had a theft of some tools when I was building one of my garages...Okay I hadn't got the doors on and I left the tools inside...The tools were used to nick a big car, which was used to nick a big caravan..!

Anyways..I had a visit from the local Crime Prevention Officer, who gave me no end of advise about how to make the garage more secure...Stuff you would never think of.
I remember him saying how you can make window bars from box section steel with rod inside the box, floating about all loose...It whirls round inside when the grinding wheel hits it and might even break the wheel if it's an angled cut..stuff like that, that's easy to do when you are installing new anyway.

I don't know if you would get a visit from a Crime Prevention Officer as a matter of course in your area, but it's worth asking and making an appointment...You'll learn a lot of sensible stuff for free.

You would have to be organised enough to bring the appropriate tool for the job as opposed to turning up and 'having a go'. If the scrotes had been organised last week they'd have got in and got my bikes/tools. My point is that I could put up a pic of 100 different doors and you could, in a sentence, say which tool/tools would be needed to defeat it. If that door in the pic had internal hinges, (a bespoke addition) now all you need is a drill and some #*#*# to get in

Currently the biggest threat is kids on mopeds whose motivation is more about joy riding big bikes than the small amount of £ mine are worth. I just have to make it difficult enough that they will steal elsewhere. Of course, whilst I'm at it I'll make it as secure as my wallet and it's location limitations allow. After all I may have a Panigale in there one day but whatever I do will never be enough to deter the determined.

Mr Gazza
17-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Let's blow Dirty's bloody doors off.

http://i63.tinypic.com/8yfggp.jpg

Dirty
05-08-2016, 04:41 PM
New door fitted today :)

Only took 3 months and luckily most of that time the weather has been rubbish

Darren69
05-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Nice one, did you have to evict any squatters? :)

You've not missed much riding weather really. I've not even MOT'd mine yet and it always seems to **** down on the weekend when I have time. I think there have only been a couple of nice Sats the last 3 months and I've been busy with other stuff. Maybe this Sat will be a Monster weekend?

Saint aka ML
06-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Well I am on emergency house hunt so home bound.

Also they broke in to my 2nd garage on Tuesday night :(
Lucky I was to lazy to move hyper there on weekend.
3 monster tanks gone, fuel pump from S2r, Hypermotard rear stand, karcher, few bits and bobs and my Brembo P50 calliper pair with titanium pistons. Crap

Dirty
06-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Nice one, did you have to evict any squatters? :)

You've not missed much riding weather really. I've not even MOT'd mine yet and it always seems to **** down on the weekend when I have time. I think there have only been a couple of nice Sats the last 3 months and I've been busy with other stuff. Maybe this Sat will be a Monster weekend?

No evictions needed :)

Did have to put the Blades battery on charge, I'm hoping it's going to be ok as it acted a bit strange but that may be due to a dodgy charger connection. Then it needs an MOT so still no riding yet as the Blonde is oop narf still :mand:

3 monster tanks gone, fuel pump from S2r, Hypermotard rear stand, karcher, few bits and bobs and my Brembo P50 calliper pair with titanium pistons. Crap

Bahstuds! Sorry to here that mate.

Darren69
06-08-2016, 12:51 PM

Fukkin scumbags! I'll keep my eye on ebay for the tanks etc. P50 Brembos? Are they for a car?

Saint aka ML
06-08-2016, 10:33 PM
No those are same units as on panigale r just with titanium pistons and few other bits so erm lighter.

Saint aka ML
06-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Uh i think they are not called p50, m50 I think, as said same as pani but gold as had to remove crash marks so stove enamelled gold,