PDA

View Full Version : Buell & Italian Motorcycle Festival 01-10-16

Chris Jessop
09-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Saturday 1st October UKBEG 13th Emma Radford Memorial Buell & Italian Motorcycle Festival

Ducati Monster owners are once again invited to our annual event, which is being held a bit later in the year than normal.

UKBEG’s main event runs from 10.00 am until late afternoon and the admission price for motorcyclists and pillion passengers is £7.00 per adult.

The Vincent Owners Club will be our special guests. More details to follow.

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (LAHC)
East Kirkby
Spilsby
Lincolnshire
PE23 4DE

LAHC web site: http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk

Mr Gazza
09-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that Chris...:biggrin:

Grumpy
09-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks Chris, later in the year than normal, but I'm game!

Chris Jessop
02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
We now have a poster for the event, PDF download: http://www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk/419562795 'Ems Day Poster'

iMOC
02-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Darn it! - Wifey's birthday on the 1st, and have already booked an event elsewhere :grump:

Dukedesmo
03-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

Chris Jessop
26-08-2016, 02:16 PM
The Aviation Centre’s now confirmed some details about their ‘Dambuster’ event which is also taking place on Saturday 1st October, details shown here; http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/Special-Events/george-johnny-johnson-presentsthe-dambusters.htm

Mr Gazza
26-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Oh goody I am going to try and get a ticket for the lecture..

This fits in so nicely with our Duxford visit the preceeding weekend.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=54035

Mr Gazza
27-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Just had an email back from Lincs Aviation. They will email me when tickets go on sale for the George "Johnny" Johnson lecture.
He served with the Dambusters squadron and will give a lecture on his experiences, in front of the Lancaster "Just Jane" on the day of the bike event.

I will post up details as I get them (After ordering my ticket...:biggrin:)

Mr Gazza
01-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Tickets went on sale just moments ago...So I've already booked a front seat..:biggrin:

Seats are £10 + 75p postage
Standing room is £8 Presumably with 75p postage also.

Get them here.. http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/Special-Events/george-johnny-johnson-presentsthe-dambusters.htm

George "Johnny" Johnson will deliver the talk from beneath the Lancaster "Just Jane", standing beside a Bouncing Bomb.

Don't wait till the next one...these things won't come around again..

Grumpy
01-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up ,Gazza. Ticket booked !

Chris Jessop
25-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Yesterday we visited the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (LAHC) to confirm the final arrangements for next Saturday’s event.

Regulars will be familiar with how we run the event but it’s worth repeating the main points for the benefit of new visitors.

When you arrive at the Aviation Centre all motorcycles will be directed to a separate entrance around the back of the main hanger where Jane and I will be located. The entrance fee is £7.00 per adult for motorcycle riders and pillions. Please try to have the correct money when you arrive. This helps us on the gate and speeds up your entrance to the event.

If you have a pre-booked ticket for the Johnny Johnson Dambusters event you can present it to us at the motorcycle entrance.

If you’re not coming on two-wheels then you’ll have to park in the normal public car park. It’s a bit of a trek on foot around to the motorcycle entrance but only admission money collected by Jane and I will help to raise funds for Emma’s Charity.

LAHC location and event web page: here (http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/Special-Events/george-johnny-johnson-presentsthe-dambusters.htm)

Event timetable:
10.30am-12.30pm: Aces High/Johnny Johnson signing
11.00am: Avro Lancaster taxi-run
12.30pm: Avro Lancaster taxi-run
2.00pm-2.40pm: Johnny Johnson lecture
3.00pm-4.00pm: Aces High/Johnny Johnson signing if required
4pm: Avro Lancaster taxi-run

Grumpy
28-09-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm popping along for a few hours, any one else going/interested?

Mr Gazza
29-09-2016, 04:41 PM
I'll be there.
Hopefully on the bike, but if it's peeing down all day I'll be in the Alfa. :grump:

Grumpy
29-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Fancy meeting up on route and riding in together ( if your not in the Alfa :) )

Say at Saintsbury's of the A47/A10 roundabout for 9.30.

Mr Gazza
29-09-2016, 07:17 PM
How about Arbuckle's American Diner at Downham Market Grump?

I detest the A47 and even more so the A17.
I go from Downham Market to Wisbekistan, then past the bog people to Spalding.
A bit of horrid road to Boston and then back to old fashioned roads towards Horncastle.

It's far from a direct route, but it depends on which you think is more important, the destination, or the journey. ;)

Grumpy
29-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Oooooohhhh definitely the journey!
Arbuckle's it is!
9.30am, I will buy the coffee :)

There is a lovely back road from Boston towards East Kirby ��

Mr Gazza
29-09-2016, 08:57 PM
You're on.

I might have found a way to avoid the A16 from Spalding to Boston too....Anyone else up for a magical mystery tour?

Mr Gazza
01-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Arbuckles turned out to be a very nice venue...Very nice food and service..:thumbsup:

The run up to East Kirkby with Grumpy was pleasant enough. we managed to navigate from Spalding to Boston parallel to the A16. Which was a shrewd move considering that the A16 south of Boston was closed (As I discovered homeward).

Great to meet Chris Jessop again, also Chris.p for the first time.
Saw my first Moto Morini 9 1/2 in the flesh and I think I should end up owning one at some point.
Also saw the Old Empire MC Typhoon and was impressed that it is evidently being well used.

George "Johnny" Johnson's talk was a priceless jewel and clearly the centre-piece of the day... Very emotional... He got at least three well deserved standing ovations from the audience of about 500.

My journey home was a disaster. After the ludicrous diversion and gridlock, round the closed A16, it started to rain and thinking that the bad weather was to the South, I plumped for the A17, only to watch the clear skies to the South as I got plenty of water coming down and going up....Smeg. :grump:

Hope you had a drier ride than me Grumps?

chris.p
01-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Was good to meet up with Gazza and Grumpy, wish I could have stayed for the talk, but was expected home, about an hour or so after I got home we had the mother of hail and rain storm, glad I did set off home earlier.

Grumpy
01-10-2016, 07:48 PM
What a cracking day out!
Gazza and I had a lovely breakfast at Arbuckle's, then a leisurely ride to East Kirby, I didn't know there where that many roads with bends on the Fens!
Watching the Lancaster run followed by an audience with George 'Johnny' Johnson with the Lanc as the back drop was emotional. To hear about the dambuster raid from the last surviving crew member was a privilege.
Whilst you had to wizz off, I was pleased to meet you ,Chris. Hope the ride home was fun. The 1100 is gorgeous!
As for my ride home, the detour due to the A16 deing closed was interesting!
Same as Gazza, I was soaked through after the journey home. A hot bath was needed!!
Thanks for your company Gazza, as always good fun.
See you next week on the chip run:drunk:
Oh one last thing, the coffee this morning was ......:toilet:

Chris Jessop
02-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Guys, many thanks for attending yesterdays event, we do appreciate your presence.

Shame about the wet weather on your way home but at least it stayed dry for the event itself. As you quite rightly say, the Johnny Johnson talk was very moving and he thoroughly deserved those standing ovations.

I'll let you know when we have the date for next years Buell & Italian Motorcycle Festival.

Grumpy
02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Guys, many thanks for attending yesterdays event, we do appreciate your presence.

Shame about the wet weather on your way home but at least it stayed dry for the event itself. As you quite rightly say, the Johnny Johnson talk was very moving and he thoroughly deserved those standing ovations.

I'll let you know when we have the date for next years Buell & Italian Motorcycle Festival.

Your welcome, Chris. Good to meet you and yours as always. See you next year (hopefully a wee bit drier!!)

Chris Jessop
18-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Guys, next years event takes place on Spring Bank Holiday Monday, 29th May.

Erik Buell (yes, Mr Buell himself!!) will travel over from Wisconsin USA specially for the event. We've been practising our 'not worthies' .....

Mr Gazza
20-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that Chris.

Mr Buell had an entourage of young ladies wearing not much at all last time I saw him.

Shame next years show clashes with the Weekender!

I just received news that the Lancaster "Just Jane" is about to go up a gear towards becoming airworthy again, which will make it the third flying Lancaster in the world.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2f4cb8f40cdb057114d4a9351&id=cbf7967a5d&e=b29fbc0d25

You can send as little as £2 a month to join the "Rivet Club" and help fund the £250,000 restoration. You get weekly email updates on the work carried out on the Lancaster.

The people at East Kirkby have worked very hard on this and deserve some support.

There are other worthy projects going on of course like the "Canberra to the Sky" from the same team that brought us the "Vulcan to the Sky"

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/778/82/Latest-Press-Release.html

Not to mention the "People's Mosquito"

http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/