PDA

View Full Version : Carbon front mudguard wanted.

utopia
09-05-2016, 12:29 PM
I'm after one in the old style.
The sort that fits via the two plastic ring clips each side.
Any condition really, as I might be modding it anyway.

The story is that I was running a std plastic one, cut down at both ends and then extended rearwards with a fender extender.
In combination with a bellypan, this gave a nice combination of minimalist looks but decent protection against grit blasting the engine paint.
However, after fitting a taller profile front tyre, there was insufficient clearance to the fender extender, causing it to bounce against the tyre on a bumpy road.
I still like the rearward extension though, so I'm considering trying to attach the fender extender by fibreglassing it in place (for a slimmer joint).
Hence a tatty mudguard may suit my purposes ... though I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at a tidy one.

Mr Gazza
09-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Jeff you probably recall our conversation about floppy front mudguards?

Earlier this year I replaced the mounting bands with new ones from Moto Rapido, as the threaded brass inserts had been cream crackered since I've had the bike.

It was a revalation how much more rigid they have made the mudguard.

I mounted a carbon fender extender for a short while before changing the bands. I was alarmed at how much more twangy it made the whole front mudguard. I took the extender off in discust. It hit the engine first time out.

You're welcome to the extender if you can use it...Just say and it's on it's way to you.

utopia
09-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Ah yes I do, now that you mention it.
The mounting doodads on mine are reasonable, because I've had the bike from nearly new and spotted the potential early on, so I greased the bolts.
But the design is a bit iffy.
On mine, the two little tabs deform from 90 deg as you tighten the bolts.
I did wonder about packing the gap, but it seemed like a faff and I was in a hurry to ride the bike, so I just removed the fender extender.
I might look at them again though.

A lot of the flex seems to come from the design of the support arms.
I like the std pattern mudguard though, so didn't fancy a different design .. and most of those seem to be cut away at the rear in a "race" style, which is exactly what I don't want.
I'm hoping that a carbon one in the std pattern would be stiffer but I'm not holding my breath on that because its a design issue really, not a materials one.
I also wonder whether the arms could be stiffened a little by adding some carbon (or glass) fibre on the inside .. whereas its harder to do this to the plastic guard.

And thanks for the offer but I have a carbon extender already.

utopia
17-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Bump ...Still looking.
One that's badly faded/yellowed, or with damage to the blade would be fine as I'm probably going to modify it anyway.