PDA

View Full Version : Yay!!!

Flip
07-05-2016, 09:22 AM
After a couple of hours 'bike time' yesterday afternoon I finally got round to fiddling with the rear suspension after not being happy with the way my bike had got all lazy steering after fitting a pair of Michelin Pilot 3's last year and so I wound out the rose joints another three and a half turns (making it 38mm from the bottom of the hoop to the centre of the joint) and hey presto!!

I now have my lighty flighty steering Monster back!!!! I'm yet to give it a proper trial (see Vapour Lock thread) but first impressions are good with it holding a tight line round mini round-a-bouts and the like.

utopia
07-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Presumably the front profile is/was the same in both cases ?
I only mention it because I've just swapped from a 120-60 to a 120-70 on the front of my 750 and the change was more noticeable than I might have expected.
With the 120-70 fitted, it now feels lighter and easier to turn into low speed corners, eg at around town speeds.
This was as expected and hoped for but I wasn't prepared for the way the increased height of the 70 profile effectively raised the front and made the bike more reluctant to turn at high speeds.
I should've expected some change I guess, but it was more marked than I would've thought.
Time to drop the yokes a tad, methinks.

Maybe there is a similar profile/height difference between your two front tyres due to their different manufacturer, even if the profiles are quoted as being the same ?

Flip
07-05-2016, 10:23 AM
I can only think that the profile of the Michelin is a little more 'rounded' than the Pirelli (although they are nothing like as 'pointed' as say a Dunlop- which I hate btw) which resulted in slowing the steering down.

Why did you have a 60 profile fitted? Is a 70 not the standard for a 750?

I can totally understand how the profile change has made your bike feel like it wants to push wide now (under-steer) and agree that either dropping the yokes (remember you will reduce ground clearance a tad this way) or raising the rear will compensate.

Ideally I would not have changed from the Pirelli's before trying the bike with the Maxton internals but time ran out before a European trip and so as I needed new tyres for that I had little choice- good lesson in only changing one thing at a time though :biggrin:

utopia
07-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Yep, 120-60 was the original tyre.
I was assuming that all of the smaller monsters had this fitment.
It always seemed to want to drop into slow turns too eagerly.
Its early days, but the 120-70 seems to have cured that nicely.

Incidentally, it is a Dunlop Qually (ex DD scrub), so maybe its even more pointy ....?
Matched (??) with a new PR3 on the rear.

But I hear you on making multiple changes.
Rear wheel has gone up from 4.5 to 5.5 and now sits in an ally swinger.
Also the rear sprocket has dropped a tooth, so wheelbase is a tad longer (same chain).
New swingarm bearings too.
And then there's the (ahem) carbon wheels to consider too. ;)

Flip
07-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Yes I think you may be right about the smaller Monsters having those sizes (presumably due to the lighter loads they put through them) although possibly the very early (dry clutch model) 750's had the same as the 900?

Anyway, it makes sense for you to run the larger front tyre size if you're going up to 900 sizes on the rear although personally I am not sure I would like the Dunlop front.

I know it's personal and I am sure I could never reach the limit of grip on them but even the pukka race Dunlops I had on my race bike felt horrible- a complete contrast to the Avons I now run (choices are limited for the classics) and I have just never had any confidence in any bike that has had Dunlop tyres fitted too (my Monster came new with them and so did several Japanese bikes I've owned over the years).

utopia
07-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Its only there because I bought a pair of ex DD tyres a while back, when I was skint, and only ever used the rear.
The plan was to try the taller profile front in an attempt to tweek the low speed turn-in ... but then the new wheels happened.
I fitted it rather than waste it but it'll be chucked for a PR3 to match the rear at some stage.

I've been gagging to fit a pair of PR3s for years actually, but the PR2s that I had before lasted absolutely ages.