PDA

View Full Version : Purchase advice please

cerebus
05-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Not sure if this is in the right section, but i'd welcome some advice.

I have a deposit on a 2012 M796 with a dealer. I've been waiting for them to MOT it. They noticed a cracked mirror bracket so they ordered one in. They called me today to say the part had arrived and been replaced, the MOT was done and it was ready to collect.

So I checked the MOT online and it has the following:

Advisory notice item(s)
offside front Wheel has a slightly distorted bead rim. (4.2.2)
Steering movement slightly 'notchy' (2.2.1b)

Should this put me off? Does it mean the bearings and front wheel need replacing?

Thanks in advance.
:confused:

RossObey01
05-05-2016, 07:37 PM
How many front wheels does it have?!

If I were in your position I'd be asking them to sort the notchy steering before I picked it up. The distorted rim could be from a previous drop or off, but if it's only an advisory I cannot be horrendous, it was obviously small enough for you to overlook when you viewed the bike.

garry
05-05-2016, 07:39 PM
well it would put me off....

cerebus
05-05-2016, 07:40 PM
How many front wheels does it have?!

Yeah I thought that!

Flip
05-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Did the shop you're buying it from do the MoT or was it done by another test centre?

If it was done at the shop I would have a word with the person that carried out the test and have them show you exactly what they mean.

In particular the notchy steering- sometimes under lubricated bearings can feel like that especially if the bike hasn't been used for a long period of time.

The 'distorted bead rim' suggests to me that it may be the tyre that is not seated correctly- is it a new (or recently fitted) tyre?

Either way, I would argue that the supplying dealer has a duty to sell a bike in perfect (i.e. non advisory) condition.

I am guessing there is a warranty etc. and it is not a 'sold as seen' sale?

So they either sort the problems and have the bike re-tested to prove the work has been done to a test worthy standard, negotiate a reduced sale price if you still want the bike in an 'advisory condition' or if you prefer, return your full deposit and you walk away, .

cerebus
05-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Did the shop you're buying it from do the MoT or was it done by another test centre?
Not sure, I think another test centre.

The 'distorted bead rim' suggests to me that it may be the tyre that is not seated correctly- is it a new (or recently fitted) tyre?

It does have pretty new tyres.

Either way, I would argue that the supplying dealer has a duty to sell a bike in perfect (i.e. non advisory) condition.

I am guessing there is a warranty etc. and it is not a 'sold as seen' sale?

So they either sort the problems and have the bike re-tested to prove the work has been done to a test worthy standard, negotiate a reduced sale price if you still want the bike in an 'advisory condition' or if you prefer, return your full deposit and you walk away, .

Thats was I was thinking, many thanks.

Dirty
05-05-2016, 08:46 PM
What flip said

cerebus
06-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Well I've asked them if they will sort the advisories and retest, waiting for them to get back to me.

Flying Scot
06-05-2016, 12:28 PM
from a dealer it should not be coming with known issues that were not obvious when you put the deposit down.

How was the bike priced low mid or top end?

Dukedesmo
06-05-2016, 01:35 PM
If the steering bearings need changing and the front wheel's bent then I wouldn't be buying it, unless it's priced accordingly.

Bearings are fairly cheap but it's a bit of a job to swap them, the wheel however would be hugely expensive if (worst case scenario) it needs a new one, it probably doesn't but I'd need to know before buying.

cerebus
06-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Well I didn't notice an issue with the front wheel, either visually or when I rode it, but then I'm not the most mechanically minded person. It may just be an issue with the tyre fitment as Flip suggested. It passed the MoT so it can't be major? Unfortunately the dealer is not close, so I can't just pop back and take a look.

SteveG
06-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Unless it is über-cheap or there is some other compelling reason I'd personally steer clear and find one with no obvious worries attached. You pay your money and take your chance but why do that unless you have to? Plenty of other fish in the sea at that vintage.

cerebus
07-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I've convinced them to knock a couple of hundred quid off and I'm happy. Will pick it up next week. Time will tell if I'm being foolish (it has always let me know in the past).
Looks like I'm going to have two monsters for a bit !! :big grin:

cerebus
07-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Bloody autocorrect messed up the :biggrin: smilie above and possibly the one in this message too...

cerebus
10-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Picked up the bike today - got very,very wet! Where did the heatwave go?

So far the M796 is great, the only problem I've noticed is with the mirrors. They seem to show the road & vehicles behind me instead of the view of my elbows I'm used to from the M600. Weird, but maybe I'll get used to it.