PDA

View Full Version : Which gloves?

maxxjod
05-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

Just looking for some ideas for replacment gloves please, my gloves have just fallen apart this morning after around 11 years of service, i am just wondering which gloves people use and there opinions of them, good or bad.

Also i have long fingers which tends to limit my choices sometimes, so again would love some feed back and suggestions.

alan c
05-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Best to go to shop and try on, and buy the best pair you budget allows.

Wildfire
05-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Ideally as Alan says, go try some on.

I have long fingers, and find that Held fit me very well. I have the Phantom 2's which I have done many miles in and the Arctic GTX's for winter. I was using Racer mid-season's but they are finally dying so will be being replaced by some Held items.

slob
05-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Sill trying to find a pair I like since Spada stopped doing their CarbonGP, preference is as 'personal' as tyres, like the other say, go try some on

Flip
05-05-2016, 04:28 PM
And I was going to go into a Two Ronnie's style, there are loads of gloves.....long gloves, short gloves, gardening gloves, Fox Gloves.....

As the others have said best to try some one but if you can't find a good selection in a 'real shop' here is a good place to go to for trouble free ordering and hassle free returns:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/63

AndyC_772
05-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Go to a bike show and try on as many as you can.

I thought I had pretty average sized hands, until I tried to buy a pair of bike gloves. It amazed me just how many of them DON'T fit 'like a glove', but instead were clearly made for various non-human primates.

By far the most comfy gloves I've owned were a pair of Hein Gericke kangaroo skin gloves, which are now sadly unavailable. I replaced them with Knox Handroid, which are also kangaroo, and get excellent reviews for protection.

I also have a pair of Alpinestars 365, which I wear for riding in the wet. They took quite a while to break in, but were absolutely superb for nearly 700 wet miles over the course of the Weekender.

slob
05-05-2016, 05:09 PM
By far the most comfy gloves I've owned were a pair of Hein Gericke kangaroo skin gloves, which are now sadly unavailable.

What size? I've got a pair of those, worn a couple of times, don't like 'em much...

J.P
05-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Knox gloves tend to be quite long on the fingers

damien666
05-05-2016, 06:27 PM
What size? I've got a pair of those, worn a couple of times, don't like 'em much...

I might be interested in those slob. I've had a pair for a good few years and the stitching is coming undone on one of the fingers. Could repair, but looking well grubby now. I'll have to check but i think size 9. What colour/size are yours?

AndyC_772
06-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Mine are 'L'... but I got a pleasant surprise when I looked them up to try and get a better description. Turns out that HG still have a couple of pairs available in their web store, so I've just ordered some to keep as spares for when my Knox gloves wear out.

Top tip: they're £89.95 + £8 postage on the UK site, but only €89.95 (about £70.90) + €10 postage if you order from the German site. Saved nearly £20 because HG don't understand currency exchange!

slob
06-05-2016, 10:38 AM
no idea what a 9 is, they're XL
http://www.thelasturl.net/img/hg_roo.jpg

damien666
06-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Just checked mine, size L, bugger. They look nice and understated, i would have taken them.
Got muddled up, size 9 i referred to was sizing in a work glove.

maxxjod
16-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Hi, just a quick update for those that are interested.

I ended up buying a pair of these RST Tractech Evo Race, http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/221885?r=GS&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnIm7BRDSs42KxLS8-6YBEiQAfDWP6CcFy6ZzcTrtcARhCRxXFQwp1AFYnJk44AYDwvF 5Q38aAgf78P8HAQ They are very comfortable and have taken very little braking in, the fingers are nice and long and the feel through the kangaroo hide palms is excellent. Also i cant fault the service from sports bike shop, excellent communication from start to finish.

slob
16-06-2016, 04:14 PM
I got a pair of these
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/260264
a little cheaper in store at infinity m/cs
and am getting on very well with them so far

boris
17-06-2016, 06:12 AM
AndyC, +1 for the HGs. Had mine for a few years now and love them for summer use (about a week up here). Seriously, they get out quite a lot and do benefit from a good 'feed' of leather cleaner from time to time, and especially when put away as the weather turns. Then for me the Halvarsson's are out..

Jam7
26-06-2016, 06:29 PM
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/216732

I've had these for a few weeks now and really rate them. A bit pricey but look great and give you A1 protection.

Wildfire
27-06-2016, 03:33 PM
So I go caught out last week and learnt 2 things:

1. The waterproofing on my Goretex suit needs replacing as whilst I was not wet, I was "wet out". The exterior had soaked up a load of water and the suit needs proofing.

2. My trusty Racer Multi-Tops are well on their way out. Upon putting my gloves on in the afternoon, they were still sodden and also wet inside. And definitely wet.

So I have decided to abuse the card and have purchased these:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/111472

They will be my "day to day" gloves as I commute in the mornings on the motorway and the wind chill can still make my hands a little cold.

Check out Held. I have now made the swap to Held all round.

Sirc
06-07-2016, 07:57 AM
call me a cheapskate (because I am) but have used 'budget' gloves off E-Bay for the last 7 years or so and have proved to be excellent value for money even costing as little as £20 a pair. Crash-tested two pairs and the knuckle reinforcements worked 100%. I can't name a brand as the suppliers change frequently - possibly a bad sign in many peoples eyes but the only constant set-back I have found is that they pretty much all fib about the larger sizes - i.e. XXL is barely a true 'Large' in most cases, so a definite waste of time for someone with larger-than-average hands.