PDA

View Full Version : To take a quote....

Flip
04-05-2016, 05:43 PM
...and run with it.

We can go on about why 600s are cheaper than 900s or where stuff should be put, price wise, but perhaps that is for another thread.

So going on from a 'For Sale' thread that was getting a little heated and off track when all the chap was trying to do was sell his bike, I thought why not lets share a few thoughts on how the prices of Monsters have changed over the last few years.

I for one am of the opinion that the early bikes at twenty years old plus now are becoming more attractive for a number of reasons (investment being one- which I hate the thought of) and pushing the prices up of (harder to find) un-molested bikes.

With the renaissance of the hipster Café Racer scene driving up prices of many frankly rubbish bikes from the '70's and '80's it's surely only a matter of time before more people cotton onto Monsters as we all know how ripe they are for customisation.

In addition to this I think, rightly or wrongly and certainly to the less initiated, Ducati still have that exclusive or exotic image with their 'funny valves' and rattily clutches meaning they will always be seen as that little bit more special than most other marques.

smiffyraf1
04-05-2016, 07:44 PM
90s Ducatis particularly monsters and and 916's were what caught my eye and got me into motorbikes in the first place.
the early monsters, as now as they left the factory will without doubt go crazy. i dont think the style of the early monsters despite being copied by so many others will ever be bettered (even though its just a stripped back sportsbike.) i think because they were such an influence on the whole bike world but still retained the special italian marque presence they will always be something special. They were designed and made in a particularly hard time for ducati and I really feel that if it had not been for the monster Ducati would be no more. im just surprised its taken this long for everyone else to realise what a good bike these are.
I am certain there are better made, cheaper, faster, comfier, reliable bike out there but nothing else to me anyway can be so greater than the sum of its parts and can be just a great all round bike.
I have never been so attached to an inanimate object as i am with my monster. i think its the one thing i could not live without. bit stupid i know. i love that you can be going whatever speed it can do without the wind tearing you away or just pootling along at 30. The speed isnt important, it still feels amazing. and the sound! :D

in terms of engine sizes i have only small experience of 600's but i had an M750, had a 900ss (same engine as m900) and have now got an M1000.
the 600s are a great city bike but even with the one i had a few goes on being dynojetted found it quite gutless which surprised me of my previous experience of the L-Twin's. my 750 (also Dynojetted) fell foul to this feeling but not as bad. just felt it ran out of steam too early but playing around with gearing could sort this. the 900 i felt was a beauty. a great engine but not something for beginners. The power curve was just crazy and i often kicked the back end out accelerating away from bends, maybe the purest monster and surely the best looking with just the bare essentials there. the lack of oil cooler leaving the big space on the 600's always bugged me. The 1000I.E. is lovely. great engine the DS resulting in a much smoother delivery although maybe its too forgiving and not as brutal as a monster should be?

Blah blah
04-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Early Ducati's have also reached that age where the people who wanted one when they first came out, but couldn't afford one, can now afford them and want to buy one to try to relive their yoof.

I think prices for the early ones have reached the bottom and will bumble around for a bit then creep back up. Currently I'd expect £1500 for a 600, £2k and a bit for a 900 and somewhere in the middle for the 750s. There will be good ones that will command more (and dreamers like that one on fleabay that was on for around £9k if my memory serves) and sheds for less.

S4's keep dropping, I looked at several priced around £2500 but s4rs seem to be holding their money.

S2r's have suddenly become un-popular and totally un-cool (now that I have one!) so they'll be completely worthless soon :mand: and you won't be able to give 'em away

NattyBoy
04-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Amazes me that the original unmolested m900's havent rocketed - yet ����

pompone
04-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Sometimes we confuse sentimental and actual value. Value has started to go up for early, unmolested ones but not by as much as I'd imagined a couple of years back. 600's are going cheap and 750 will probably follow next. Every now and again someone gets a kite up there but I doubt the asking price is always met. Currently M's are nowhere near what 888 and SL are fetching, let alone MHR & SS's . That said the 900Sie is kinda in the right price, mileage is a bit high for a quick sale and I'm not the biggest fan of the IAW 15 mapping..

Darkness
05-05-2016, 06:12 AM
As "Keepers of the Monsters" we should take all available opportunities to make early monsters seem unreliable and slow. That way we can keep them out of the clutches of weirdly beardy hipsters with their strange habits and can keep the prices low.
With prices at rock bottom we can fill our sheds and corner the market.
This time next year we'll all be millionaires.

Nottsbiker
05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Owners forums in my experience for both cars and bikes often over value their bikes when compared to actual market value.

Ducati's need to be in mint condition in my humble opinion to command high prices because if not the repair bills could / will be epic.

Flip started this post based on the advert for the yellow M900 which at first glance appeared to be very good value. However a week later the motor could (note I said could) go pop, the forks leak and need new bushes, seals and stanchions. The paint already needs doing on the body kit and the engine meaning a complete strip-down along with the carbon (appeared) from the photo's to need re-lacquering adding to the cost.

Ultimately its worth looking around for a while before jumping on in and buying the first thing you see.

I bought an early M900 a couple of years ago for £600, spent £680 on another engine and will later this year spend approx. £400 on paint and another £400 on powder coating. Add in 916 forks, milled yokes, different exhausts, braided hoses, new shock, new master cylinders, 944 kit, lightened flywheel....

I'll never get this cash back but then I don't intend on selling :)

Pop Alexandra
18-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Amazes me that the original unmolested m900's havent rocketed - yet ����

It's coming soon. I have seen more and more of them lately.

Ron1000
18-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Interesting topic this one.

I for one am the only person in my group that rides a ducati....one other person has a bmw and other than that everyone else is jap, il4; and terrified of anything non-Japanese.

And when I explain the whole desmodue engine thing they just didn't even know they existed and make them even more terrified to touch them.

Price wise it's tricky due to the new 821's, 797's and even 1200's being actually pretty competitively priced and used 821's are now heading into the 5.5k range. so tends to hit the price of say my 1100evo which is an odd ball.

Also what counts as molested? i.e. my bike is highly modified; but tastefully with only the best parts thrown at it. I guess if it's not factory it's molested in some way!

Yorkie
18-01-2018, 11:46 AM
I am usually in awe of people’s ability not to modify (even resisting a splash of carbon) and keeping any era of Monster Standard.

My 1999 Monster (owned from new) has morphed several times so much so it is like Triggers broom.

So it wend from 600 to 900SS engine to a 944 ST2 engine. With an 888 swing arm and shock. The only parts that are standard are the front wheel and yokes. The frame has been cut and braced so is no longer standard.

How much would it be worth? Just depends on what someone wants to spend. On a separate note there are bargains out there, I managed to pick up a 916 for £4500 and it is a dream.

Yorkie

Nottsbiker
18-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Crazy really to think I sold my 996 5 years back for £3k how much the prices have rocketed in that time

Still bought my M900 for £600 so cant complain!