PDA

View Full Version : Hi... M900 in East Anglia

TimM900
03-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Hi all,

Thought I would introduce myself - just bought an early M900, mostly for local-ish road riding, alongside various road and off-road bikes I have already, this one actually:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=53723

I managed to get in a couple of rides at the weekend and begin to get the feel of it. It has not been used much in recent years and requires a bit of setting up- cables oiling, fluids changing etc. - but goes pretty nicely, seems to have plenty of power and handles well, if a bit sensitive to rough road surfaces.

I've also started on a good clean up as it is a bit cosmetically challenged, as well as a shopping list - front pads ordered already, all the airbox lid clips are missing, some better mirrors are needed (I quite like ebay item 231674253527 , or maybe 121760717532, any suggestions welcome too), then various bolts, grips, and in particular a centre stand- is there anything that fits (even for use just at home, I much prefer them to paddock stands)? Oh, and a manual too.

Finally, going by the slightly sooty exhausts, it runs a little bit rich. The pipes are not quiet, nor excessively loud, maybe someone over-did the jetting for them. Once I get a manual I can find out what the stock jet sizes are and then compare. Otherwise I think I'll just ride and enjoy it as much as I can.

Mr Gazza
03-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Hello and welcome Tim...Nice Monster you have there..:mand:

As for mirrors I think the original "Micky Mouse" ones take some beating, although they are not always a popular choice?

Centre stands were not fitted to Monsters, although there was a kit that Ducati sold at one time. You'll be lucky to find one now.
I have an ST2 stand, which is regarded as the easiest one to fit to a Monster. However I have additional factors which make fitting it to mine a little more challenging...Come over and have a look at it, see if you can make it work on yours and I might part with it.

My exhausts tend towards the sooty too but my spark plugs tell me that it's running just right, as does the 68mpg.

We have an active section of the club going in Norfolk...I will be sending you a PM shortly with some details...:mand:

Blah blah
03-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Welcome and enjoy

Albie
03-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Bargain that bike even to remodel or put back as was. Welcome along.

cactus
03-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Hello there and welcome. :thumbsup:

TimM900
03-05-2016, 09:44 PM
thanks Gazza, have PM'd. are these the Micky Mouse type? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231674253527?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . Haven't checked the plugs yet tbh, does run nicely though needs no choke to start.

cheers Albie- rough plan is clean/refinish then maybe put back as was, but eventually. I'll put up a photo of the engine tomorrow- repaint is definitely needed first.

Albie
03-05-2016, 10:06 PM
thanks Gazza, have PM'd. are these the Micky Mouse type? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231674253527?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . Haven't checked the plugs yet tbh, does run nicely though needs no choke to start.

cheers Albie- rough plan is clean/refinish then maybe put back as was, but eventually. I'll put up a photo of the engine tomorrow- repaint is definitely needed first.

Be very wary they are advertised with a plastic back with the logo and they are not what you get. You get round ones made of tin painted black and set in the mirror with rubber trim. OK for mirrors basic but not as Ducati sold them. I have a set and won't be using them on mine.

Darkness
04-05-2016, 06:09 AM
Hi Tim: welcome aboard.

Always nice to see another early m900.

sapone cremoso
04-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Hello & welcome :roger:

Nottsbiker
04-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Hello and welcome fellow 900 owner

Least yours is in 1 piece - abandoned my project this year due to time / money issues and riding gf's Speed Triple instead :)

Zimbo
04-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Welcome Tim, you had a good buy there, that bike was a steal. Early 900s are going up in value fast!
Centre stands are very rare, could you use an ABBA stand at home?

Mr Gazza
04-05-2016, 05:31 PM
thanks Gazza, have PM'd. are these the Micky Mouse type? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231674253527?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT .

I'm afraid I couldn't say if those are the same shaped stem as the original Monster ones.
I would tend to agree with Albie about the apparent quality too.

Lots of Monster owners bin thier original Micky Mouse mirrors for fancy custom ones or bar end mirrors, so It might be worth a shot to ask on here if anyone has a pair going spare?

The other option is to call Moto Rapido and see if they are still available and are not stupidly expensive.
Moto Rapido. 01962 877998 then press 1 for parts and you will speak to the very helpful Luke or Craig... And mention you are in UKMOC for a 10% discount.

As mentioned, a lot of people ditch the original mirrors for reasons of thier own. I found that the mirrors were one of the many things that increased the Monster grin factor on my first one, as I could see clearly behind me on both sides.
I can see a little bit of elbow on my later Monster, so maybe there are different bends to the stems or handlebars...I couldn't say. They're still good though.

Albie
04-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Rough price new 45 each from Ducati.

TimM900
04-05-2016, 10:29 PM
A busy day & evening today so not much progress... but I did have time to try bleeding the clutch as it didn't feel too great & engages nearer to the bars than seems right. Pumped lots of fluid through it both ways, feels better now, but it didn't make all that much difference to the bite point alas. Are they all like that?

Albie, did you get my PM about those mirrors that you're not planning on using?

Nottsbiker
05-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Perhaps your slave or master cylinder is worn and letting air in?

Mr Gazza
05-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Monster clutches are know to be swine to bleed sometimes.

You could try the old trick of leaving it over night with the lever held back to the bar with elastic bands or some such...Release it slowly next day and see if there is a difference.

TimM900
24-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

It has been a while since I last posted so maybe is time for an update on my M900. I’ve been busy elsewhere including a V-Strom roadtrip to France & Spain, but have made some good positive progress anyway as since purchasing it, I’ve managed to get a few hundred miles on it and sorted out lots of little niggles- working from front to back…

Replaced front pads as the old Goldfren ones quite literally were falling in half. Fitted Armstrong ones- seem great. Checked rears- ok.

New grips and mirrors from M&P (very nice too and great value, old ones are available foc if anyone wants them).

Bled clutch many times, both ways, replaced pushrod o-rings and knackered release bearing. Much
better now.

Oiled throttle cables, lever pivots etc.

All airbox clips were missing- got a set & fitted them (ebay, luckily)

One front exhaust stud hole thread was stripped, causing the gasket to leak- had this helicoiled, fitted new stud & new exhaust gaskets. Runs much better now, much quieter too.

Changed/flushed engine oil, filter, removed left side cover (was leaking), resealed it & painted it too

Improved the handling immeasurably- tyre pressures were well out, wheel alignment was adjusted a
bit wrong, rear preload was wound up miles

Carefully T-Cut and re-polished all the bodywork, it really needed it.

So just a lot of sorting out done- very little expenditure. Rides pretty nicely now, is a pretty fast bike, mpg is a bit variable but decent 42-55mpg. Stops amazingly.

Also, I visited Mr Gazza for an expert review of the bike- most appreciated. It is a very early M900 indeed, pretty original too. Obtained a ST1(?) centre stand from him, and with some modification have
managed to fit that. I really like having a centre stand on a bike.

Next plans- find a standard or taller seat or, more likely, get this one sorted as it has been cut
down, and I’m tall. Check/clean carbs, not sure if they need it but it is a bit lumpy low down, also is very lively up top and has lots of engine braking- I do wonder if it has been tuned in some way. I’ll also keep an eye out for some stock indicators, as I don’t like the LED ones much, and rear frame/mudguard bit that has been nicely chopped, to give me the replacement option.

Mr Gazza
24-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Expert review...:chuckle::chuckle:..It was a pleasure to get up close to a nice early one...:biggrin:

I'm glad you managed to get the (ST2) centre stand fitted...Not too much bad language I hope.?

Pleased that you're getting on well with your M900, sounds like she's shaping up nicely.

Let me know if you want your carbs ultra sound cleaning. A mate of mine has his own tank so we could sort something out.

Lumpy down low, lively up top and loads of engine brake sounds like a 900 Monster to me...:biggrin:...I get 68+mpg on a run from my injected 900.