PDA

View Full Version : Monster M900S ie, 2000 reg

DavidT
02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
AnnT has decided to sell her year 2000 M900S i.e. This is the first of the injected Monsters and came with a factory fitted Ohlins shock, adjustable forks, revcounter and extra carbon fibre. It's the full power motor and has the original style aluminium swinging arm.

Ann has had it since 2008 and it now has 48000 miles on it. It was professionally resprayed from red to yellow but the clear coat has flaked and there are a few stone chips, so it would benefit from a respray.

Other than the paint, its very original, nothing chopped, sawn off or missing.

The paint is peeling of the motor in the normal style.

Its due a service and will need a back tyre soon. See photos here... https://goo.gl/photos/rB8YSdmhBdnHKgZi9

If interested PM me and I can send more details. Advertising here before going on eBay and would be looking for something over £2000. Located in Argyll.

David

Mr Gazza
02-05-2016, 12:24 PM
What do you mean by full power motor?..Were there restricted versions?

I can't see any photos...Post them on here please.

Good luck with the sale.

Darren69
02-05-2016, 12:44 PM
I believe the standard monsters at that time had the small valve head from the 750 engine. The S retained the standard larger valve 900 head.

Mr Gazza
02-05-2016, 12:49 PM
As I understand it all the ie 900s' had the V2 heads (big valve) and the 900Sie just had a standard ie engine.

I think the 750 head thing was pre-2000 and for carbie models?

DavidT
02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Gaza,
I probably should have used the term "unrestricted" - I think the city motor was carbed only (smaller valves and a different advance curve to smooth it out) with the IE models going back to 38/43mm valves.
The link I pasted should take you to the photos on Google.
David

Flying Scot
02-05-2016, 02:24 PM
In Argyll with those miles (ok it is only 3k a year) and with that amount of work needing done best of luck getting £2k or over. You are going to need to find a Ducati lover looking for a M900S and even then :-( That very nice 2002 S4 in St Andrews did not make £1,900 on ebay.

To get silly money the bike has to be in England and preferably near London. Just my views of course and free and for nothing but based on my recent quest to find a nice Ducati and after chasing and missing a few bikes and eventually finally buying one.

Bike valuation for average mileage
Retail: £1,500
Our Bike prices are based on clean bikes with original official UK specification and adequate service history. The values do not apply to grey imports unofficially imported from Japan or USA.
Private Good: £1,220
Private Average: £920
Private Poor: £430
Part Exchange: £1,160
Trade: £940

Flip
02-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Geography aside, which may indeed put some people off the distance the early bikes are starting to go up in value and with this model being the last of the 'hoop' type suspension framed version which is often thought of as being the best of both worlds having the slightly easier to live with fuel injected motor along with the S model extras and it's 'original' styling before the TGP revamp totally took over and they went to the ST type frame.

The mileage, assuming it has been serviced and had regular oil changes shouldn't be an issue and certainly in my experience of Ducati engines the best ones I have known are the ones that have got plenty of miles on them rather than having sat around for long periods of time.

Bologna's finest don't like being left idle as oil seals and the like dry out without getting some miles on them. They're there to be enjoyed!!

Mr Gazza
02-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Where ever did you get those prices Flying Scot?? Are they for Chinese 125s'?

If you can find me Monsters of any sort at those prices I will fill my sheds with them.

Two grand is a very good starting price for a 2000 M900Sie if anything a bit low.

As Flip said, it is the last year of the original hoop rear suspension and also the ultimate development of the engine in 900 size. So you have a Monster recognisable as an original M900, but with a smoother more powerful engine.
As a bonus the 2000 Sie has a higher spec than any previous Monster, with fancy suspension, brakes and carbon fibre as standard.
Not only that but it has a very simple ECU with no clutter.

In my opinion there is only one better you can go before the Monster changes shape quite noticably, and that is the M1000Sie. Probably as rare as the M900Sie, still with a forked swinging arm, but no hoop and more complicated electronics.

If anyone gets this one for 2K they're getting a bargain....2.5K would be more the ball park I would have thought.

Still can't see the picture on the link...Anyone do the honours?

slob
02-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Link works fine for me, looks like a decent bike, interesting grab rail. I agree with Flip and Gazza: worth £2K all day long.

cactus
02-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Let's hope he gets what he's after then, keep us posted DavidT. :thumbsup:

rbt1548
02-05-2016, 10:39 PM
I wish this had came up about 6 months ago when I was looking, I'd have gone for it at that price, which when I was looking, seems more than reasonable, the bike looks good in the pictures.

Regarding the geography, if I really was sure about a bike the distance wouldn't bother me, getting it checked over might be a wee bit of a problem but there maybe someone close to the locality who would have a look for you. With regards to history, a quick vehicle check should throw up any past history, like past insurance write offs, plate change , outstanding finance etc. The checks are available for about £2 these days. If distance was a problem there are loads of motorcycle delivery companies will deliver for reasonable prices.

Nice bike, good luck with the sale!

Dirty
02-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Nice colour

I'd agree, £2k is about right but.....................It's a hell of a long way from most buyers so stuff tends to go a bit cheaper. Got a mate a who makes a few quid buying higher end car from the remoter parts of the UK.

Flying Scot
03-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Where ever did you get those prices Flying Scot?? Are they for Chinese 125s'?

If you can find me Monsters of any sort at those prices I will fill my sheds with them.

Two grand is a very good starting price for a 2000 M900Sie if anything a bit low.

<SNIP>

If anyone gets this one for 2K they're getting a bargain....2.5K would be more the ball park I would have thought.

Still can't see the picture on the link...Anyone do the honours?

These are REAL selling prices like you can look up for a house sold in your street.

once or two clicks of your mouse

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=used_bikes&no=2&make=Ducati&bikeid=305&yearplate=2000%2FW&x=60&y=8

OK here we have serious Ducati Monster aficionados BUT to the rest of the world it is 'only' a motor bike.

Having just went through the whole buying process I can say that too many Ducati owners and bike dealers think that the bike being a Ducati is something very special and attracts a premium price.

Having chased a few bikes I know the ones that sell are the ones that are reasonably and sensibly priced. The M796 that I missed because i was fixated on the non appealing to me Mike Hailwood colour scheme, sold very quickly as by the time I had worked out that a colour change to a M696/796/1100 was easy peasy and NOT expensive at all, it was gone. This was a fully loaded low mileage bike at a really sensible price, just the colour did not make me want to buy it, silly really but hindsight is wonderful but does not work on the day.

Tis easy to sit here and say your bike is worth such and such IF you are not a buyer in the market but that fact makes your opinion just that.

I am totally convinced that unless a Ducati Monster nutter wants a M900S ie AND is ready willing and able to travel to get the right bike this bike is not priced to sell quickly.

I gave real time recent evidence of this, that Scottish S4 is on Gumtree at £3,000, did not reach £1,900 on ebay and failed to reach the reserve price.

If this bike does not sell here (which must be its best chance really. Had I been bike less i would have been interested as I prefer the more traditional look of the older Monsters) and goes on ebay time will tell as to who knows the market better, you or me.

Another M696 that I was after is I see back for sale (at a significantly reduced price) as obviously (I was told it was sold) the sale did not go ahead.

I think there is that really nice 1997 Red M600 that was not selling as well and is back on ebay. Just sold now at £1,350

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331840670678?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There is a M900S on ebay not selling at £2,950 OR best offer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322064469659?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then we have a nice S2R that was sold off of here and is now for sale at £400 more :rolleyes:

Sorry but some people are being very unrealistic in their asking prices.....just my view of course. But having been in the market for about a month and making a successful purchase of a (hopefully very) nice M696 I do believe I am in a good position to give a sensible opinion.

But hey this is just a whole load of opinions I don't see any PM'ed you I want to come look at your bike posts :-(

You think this M900Sie is very under priced, then buy it at £2K and then sell it on and make that profit that you see in this bike.

well its on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monster-M900S-i-e-2000-reg-Original-condition-Ohlins-No-reserve-/222105169367?hash=item33b67fedd7:g:f6oAAOSwKfVXJzI 5

smiffyraf1
03-05-2016, 05:21 PM
what i think you are getting mixed up with here is that a 696 and an m900 are completely different beasts not just in looks and size but desirability. many magazines (practical sportsbike recently ran a feature) that tipped the early 900 monsters as the bike to have and to hold on to as prices start to rise. you dont have to look far to see early original 900's are starting to fetch silly money which then when people start looking see they can have injection, Ohlins and few other trick bits but retain the early shape looks. which in turn pushes up I.E. bikes. Just in the last year i have seen a lot more people wanting monsters specifically early ones ideally 900's. couple of mates of mine actually asking me to keep an eye out for them.

I spent a good 6 months looking for one that ticked all the boxes without success. ended up buying arguably as rare a beast in an M1000s. although in some areas its not as good as the 900s hasn't got that adjustable shock for a start.

Bikes are very personal things i feel anyway and unless everything is right it can put people off. You have to remember a colour change on an original monster isnt just a case of swapping panels and what i have found is everyone is after the traditional red with gold frame.

Given the mileage and the location i think 2k is pretty much spot on 10k less or a couple of hundred miles further south you could have added another grand on to this.

Blah blah
03-05-2016, 05:22 PM
There does seem to be a lot of flak on this thread, when all someone is trying to do is sell their Monster...

We can go on about why 600s are cheaper than 900s or where stuff should be put, price wise, but perhaps that is for another thread.

Looks like a nice example and good luck with the sale (and maybe we should all leave it at that)

Mr Gazza
03-05-2016, 05:54 PM
I managed to get to PC with a full head of steam today, and had a look at the pictures.

That's the most complete and original 2000 M900Sie that I have seen. But for three easily detachable items, being the grabrail, fender extender and headlamp protector, but why worry about those?

If I'm really nit picking, there's the earlier Cagiva font on the tank, but DavidT is not trying to hide the fact that it has been re-sprayed and colour changed...Quite like an Sie in Yellow actually and it looks like it has been nicely done.

That bike is worth the top money, it's sad that you have to part with it but don't under sell it.

By the way, I think it's rather poor form for people to try and de-value other club members bikes on here. Especially when they are trying to sell them...:rolleyes:

Darkness
03-05-2016, 06:57 PM
It looks to be a nice bike.

There don't seem to be many m900 for sale at the moment (At any price), so you've probably picked a good time to sell now the sun's shining.

Good luck with the sale.

Jessie
03-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Ducati owners thinking there monster and the Ducati brand/history/community as something being very special is surely the whole point of this forum.

Nottsbiker
04-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Yes, but when you have a forum which is free to join and also free to advertise on you are going to get both people who agree and disagree with you.

Would I criticise someone else's sale, probably not would I be surprised when another member chooses to do it, again probably not.

Bike looks ok value to me btw. High mileage meaning some big bills in the not too distant future for engine rebuild, paint, tired suspension etc but we are all grown ups and can see an honest advert and make up our own minds :)

DavidT
04-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Gents,
Thanks for all your thoughts. Not trying to rip anyone off and just based the price on what seemed reasonable compared to other 'bikes I've seen. Flying Scot is right in that a thing is worth what someone will pay for it, and if Ann's Monster doesn't sell then the price wasn't right. The other side to that is that a 'bike is worth what you are prepared to let it go for - I'm sure if I had posted cheap it would have been snapped up but Ann would rather have it in the shed! If it doesn't sell we will get serviced and use it on occasion, perhaps for longer trips when her Scrambler is needing a rest.
The mileage doesn't worry me - my '93 went round the clock before the motor got stripped and that was mainly to cure a gearbox whine. At that rate Ann's has a good 50 thousand left in it before needing attention!
David

Flying Scot
05-05-2016, 04:39 PM
what i think you are getting mixed up with here is that a 696 and an m900 are completely different beasts not just in looks and size but desirability. many magazines (practical sportsbike recently ran a feature) that tipped the early 900 monsters as the bike to have and to hold on to as prices start to rise. you dont have to look far to see early original 900's are starting to fetch silly money which then when people start looking see they can have injection, Ohlins and few other trick bits but retain the early shape looks. which in turn pushes up I.E. bikes. Just in the last year i have seen a lot more people wanting monsters specifically early ones ideally 900's. couple of mates of mine actually asking me to keep an eye out for them.

I spent a good 6 months looking for one that ticked all the boxes without success. ended up buying arguably as rare a beast in an M1000s. although in some areas its not as good as the 900s hasn't got that adjustable shock for a start.

Bikes are very personal things i feel anyway and unless everything is right it can put people off. You have to remember a colour change on an original monster isnt just a case of swapping panels and what i have found is everyone is after the traditional red with gold frame.

Given the mileage and the location i think 2k is pretty much spot on 10k less or a couple of hundred miles further south you could have added another grand on to this.

NOT confused at all lusted after a M900 for years and years way back when they came out BUT buying my Monster I have a few models that ticked my boxes the S2R and the M796, then went for a ride on a M696 and it was nice did everything I wanted and looked the part. Like a Prat I missed the MH M796 and have now bought a nice pearl white M696 just finished a five hour blast from north London back to Motherwell + one T7P stop but including three stops for fuel one in north London one 180 miles up the road and one in Gretna as I crossed the border where the weather turned orrible for about 30 minutes.

Yes I am a happy bunny with my M696.

At under £2k I might have been interested in a nice M900 (I think you are dreaming talking about £3K that high mileage bike needs at least one tyre, a service, a belt change and a respray) I am a big long time fan of the M900 however I am totally happy with my choice of the M696 and totally understand the difference between the two models.

I drive one of the last hand-built Mercedes SL500 a classic yes but worth mega money NOPE BUT hey the magazines tell a different story for my car.

DavidT
31-05-2016, 10:06 PM
Gents,
Just an update on the M900. It's gone to a new home and hopefully the new owner will be as happy with it as the previous one. Thanks for your help.
David

Ben M900
01-06-2016, 09:11 PM
I have a Monster M900 for sale though if anyone's interested: https://www.gumtree.com/p/ducati-motorbikes/ducati-monster-m900-original-model/1170985185