PDA

View Full Version : Project Update

Byron Kauffman
27-02-2004, 03:26 AM
Good to see the forum back up and running.

Well it is day six of the wire wheel project. Not all of them were work, some were waiting for the machine shop painter etc.
I got the hubs back from the machinist yesterday with the large bearings and a larger labor bill. I wasnt happy with the position of the axle so I sent the parts back to set the bearings deeper into the hub and bring the axle deeper into the fork leg. It was a little 4mm detail no one but me would notice but I didnt want to live with it. I figured if I was spending that much for the machine work it better be the way I want. I had to have the speedo spacer they made modified too so it was added to the list. I had to hand make the speedo drive ring since the hubs were designed for the small axle.
The next problem came when I discovered that the fron brake calipers hit the spokes. I started to rework the back of the caliper and went to far and ruined one. Not one of my better days money wise. Lucky for me PCS had a spare and treated me right on the price. So the calipers went off to the machine shop to have them milled at the mounts to move them outward by 3mm. This will let me rework the back side but not go as deep. I will still need to remove some material from the calipers inside near the rotor and relieve the back side at a angle to clear the spokes.
I got everything back late this afternoon from the machine shop with another bill. Now the wheel is on locked down and in the proper position. Everything works like it should. The bike is a roller with no front brakes. I brought home the calipers to rework tonight (it is almost midnight) and will go to the shop and hopefully finish it up Saturday. With the calipers off it will give me the chance to paint them black like I originally planned for the bike. The rear spring powdercoat was another delay but is due back one way or another saturday even if I run it in bare metal.
While the bike was apart I took the oportunity to have the headlight bucket and faring painted to match the bike. I wanted to do that originally but i forgot the headlight when it went to paint the first time. I think it needed the body color headlight bucket. It adds a little color up front and keeps the headlight rim from looking so bright.
So with any luck ( I havent had any lately so I am due) the bike will be on the road this weekend.
That will give me time to touchup a few details and be ready for Bike week.
We have had nothing but solid rain and cold 40F weather all this week so the not riding wasnt a big deal. The weather is supposed to break tomorrow just in time for the Vintage tech day and the Flat Track races.
Future updates as they happen.

Byron

gary tompkins
27-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Looking good Byron. Nice colour and an unusual choice for a monster, it looks like a silvery/blue metallic? Those brakes sound like they were a real PITA to fit with the spoked rims, I'm sure it will be worth it for the end result though :)

M900Dom
27-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Brembo 4 pots and Spokes:rolleyes:

A real PITA,
I know from doing Supermotos...
It some times helps to space the disc off the wheel as far as you can without hitting the fork tubes on Compression, this gives you more room between the disc and the spokes.

Its the reason why Ducati use 2 pot sliding calipers on the Sport classic range ;)

Looks very cool, been working on mine Today,
Just stripping the Heads ready for porting, and finally fixing the blanking plug behind the Starter, so it doesnt leak anymore :mad:

Cleaned the Cases and Etch primed them ready for Primer and paint as well.

Got all the steel bits replated last week as well, I Just need my stuff back from the Powder coaters now :rolleyes:
Should be ready to pick up next Friday with a bit of luck.

And finally got a Digicam on its way to me as well so I will post some pics next weekend :eek:

Cheers
Dom

Byron Kauffman
28-02-2004, 12:56 AM
I finished the bike late today at PCS. The powdercoated spring was done this afternoon and I had to run down south to pick it up. I got it on and the whole back end together so on to the front brakes. I am a little loopy today since I was out in the garage to 4am grinding on the brake calipers. I removed the interior interference problems last night and measured and marked a set of guide lines on the calipers for fitting today. I carefully removed material from the rear to clear the spokes with a bench belt sander. After damaging one caliper the other day I wanted to be sure this time. I had all the measurements from the damaged one so I knew the internal dimensions now. Because I had 3mm thickness removed from the mounting bosses I only had to remove a small amount fron the rear at a specific angle. Once I had one done I just mirrored the measurements and the other was done on the first try. I metal finished the caliper so the new cut blends in with the factory casting and no one will ever know. Since I had them off and apart I took the time to clean them down and repaint them black before puting them back on the bike, I am not a fan of gold parts. I still need to clean the black off the raised Brembo words but I can do that this evening. It took about half an hour to bleed the brakes after having them completely apart. I just got home about an hour ago and everything seems fine with the new wheels. I need to do a little detail work after hanging over the bike for a week. The rear caliper still needs painted black and the rear sets need touching up. I think the rear brake may have air in it as it feels kind of dead since the the last time I rode it and there were no modifications to that caliper. All little stuff that goes with modification. Everything was checked and double checked and locktighted, but if you dont hear from me start looking in the bushes in case the thing loses parts and spits me off. It was dark and cold so my first ride was a short one. Its real first time out will be to the vintage stuff tomorrow.

thats the news.
tired and covered with Ducati grunge.
Byron

Byron Kauffman
28-02-2004, 01:01 AM
The color is Audi TT Pearl Gray, looks like glossy primer gray.

steviej
28-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Byron,
Wot's with the tank badge? where's it from. Looks like a 'Goose' badge.
The colour (color) :rolleyes: is awesome. Nice one ar' kid!!!

Byron Kauffman
28-02-2004, 01:07 PM
tank badges are old Ducati Single clutch covers. I reworked them to fit the curve of the tank and fit dummy screws. They are attached with automotive trim adheasive tape. It looks like they are screwed to the tank.

steviej
28-02-2004, 04:00 PM
sorted ar' kid!!!:cool:

steviej
28-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Any chance of a close-up?????????????????

Byron Kauffman
28-02-2004, 06:31 PM
heres a close up of the badge.

steviej
28-02-2004, 06:34 PM
So, when's the " 'Badge' Factory" opening

Byron Kauffman
28-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Badge Factory???? I havent even finished my bike yet. Let me know if you need details to do them yourself or if pushed I could build another set.

Today was first ride for the wire wheels and nothing fell off. I need to recheck the balance of the front, it felt like it went oval at 45mph.
I had the wheel on and off and the hubs apart many times. I could have easily put it back together with the wheel weight off its mark.
I was running on fumes when I finished it last night so anything is possible.

steviej
28-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Oh go on then....

Details please????

NewMon
28-02-2004, 08:01 PM
That is a nice bike!!

I'm totally impressed and not a little jealous! The colour is great (and I'm a committed RED fan). Badge rocks as well. I'm sure the mechanics are sweet as well ;). Oh, and the exhaust is cool too.
</Sycophancy>

Byron Kauffman
28-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Well First find a pair of Ducati Single Clutch access covers. You will need to bend them a little to get the start for the curve of the tank. I heated them first then put the badge upside down over to blocks of wood for forming. You need to position the wood so it supports the edges when you beat on the badge. The badge needs bent at a angle so the wood blocks will be positioned at top left and lower right corners. This will get you the basic shape to fit the curve of the tank. To make life easier I used a dremel tool and removed material from the rear center of the badge (think of a bowl). The badge will only be full width at the edges. This gives you less places for the badge to hit the tank and rock back and forth.
The screws are stainless oval head screws that I used "JB-Weld" to hold in place. I made a reverse countersink cut on the badge so there is no way for the screws to pop loose.
Once dry finish the back to make it smooth and level. Then stick the badge to the tank with automotive trim adheasive tape. Be careful, that stuff doesnt like to come off it you position it wrong. You can use a drop or two of soapy water on the tank to make the tape not completely grab. This will give you time to position the badge and the water will evaporate out with a little heat from a hairdryer. you are done.

Heres a photo from the Monsters first day in the sun with new wheels.

Byron Kauffman
28-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the comments on the bike. When I first painted it everyone asked what color it would be when done. I had to keep explaining they were looking at paint, not gloss primer. We now refer to it as "U-Boat Gray".

Here is something cool that came to vintage tech today.

steviej
28-02-2004, 10:27 PM
DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL drool drool drool :p :p :p :p

Billy Bigwheels
28-02-2004, 10:39 PM
WOW I'm sorry to say I prefer the Vincent to yours Byron