PDA

View Full Version : M821 Steering Damper

Flying Scot
30-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Last post vanished so here we go again :dizzy:

Looking for Kevlar jeans yesterday I went into all the local bike shops and bike gear shops.

Even visiting the Ducati shop.

I never found any nice Kevlar jeans that I liked, it looks like you add a wee bit of Kevlar in the bum area and a few pockets for body armour treble the price and you have got Kevlar biking jeans, Looks like I will get a pair of Hood ones.

BUT back to the Monster 821, I noticed it had a steering damper, wondering if this is 'to look' racy or because the 821 has a shorter wheelbase than the older Monsters 696, 796 and 1100 that makes it a lot more twitchy and therefore it 'needs' a steering damper.

Thoughts of you guys (and ladies) here ???

jonzi
30-04-2016, 09:51 AM
I have done track training with a guy that says that he doesn't agree with steering dampers.

Says that if you are relying on one, then you are doing something wrong, and you are removing a huge amount of feedback from the bike.

I had one on my track 675 but had it wound all the way off.

MarkF
30-04-2016, 12:18 PM
My 821 doesn't have a steering damper.

:confused:

MR21
30-04-2016, 12:48 PM
You might be thinking of the 1200R, that's got one but it's basically to stop the front wheel from flapping about while it's in the air!

Flying Scot
30-04-2016, 02:12 PM
You might be thinking of the 1200R, that's got one but it's basically to stop the front wheel from flapping about while it's in the air!

AH HA well there were so many RED bikes in the shop I guess I got KUNFOOSED it may have been probably was the M1200.

But if the front wheel is up in the air....well does it matter which way its pointing....... just thinking of landing in a big cross wind tis only when or microseconds before the wheels hit the deck do you need to kick the rudder to have all the wheels pointing down the runway heading UNLESS you are landing in a Boeing B52 with "Cross-Wind-Crab" selected for a specific deflection then you can have the nose pointed into the wind while the undercarriage is aligned with the runway heading.

ENJOY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94AcSHpcZbI

Mr Gazza
30-04-2016, 02:27 PM
You will find quite a few aeroplane enthusiasts on here, but not many have rudders on thier Ducatis..:freak:

Interested to here more about flying B52s...Had a nice chat with a fella about his days of flying B36 Peacemakers...His parting comment was.." Oh, and we had an Atom bomb on board, just in case."

Fantastic chap...Must have flown nearly as many types as Winkle Brown.